• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cyprus to Hunt Turtle Doves 6 and 9 May 2007 (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

Hi Folks,

Unbelievably I have just received the following email stating Cyprus's intention to permit shooting of Turtle Doves on Sunday May 6 and Wednesday May 9th. How dare they shoot anything on God's day, sorry I don't know how else to put that.

I am writing to Birdlife and Commissioner Dimas as soon as I calm down a bit. I remember the original campaign to stop Cyprus murdering our birds, obviously they now think as Malta flouts the laws they will too and no doubt the other Meditteranean countries and France will follow.

No doubt they have given as little notice as possible hoping nobody will notice what is happening or have time to do anything. They can think again.

If we have any Cyprus members out there please do what you can, birds' lives are again at stake.

Ann:storm: :storm: :egghead:

Cyprus: Today's shock decision by the Cyprus government to permit shooting
of Turtle Doves this spring poses an unacceptable threat to a declining
species and is indefensible under the EU Birds Directive, say
conservationists throughout Europe. [1]

The Cyprus government's decision will allow for European Turtle Dove
Streptopelia turtur - a species declining across Europe - to be shot in
certain coastal areas on Sunday May 6 and Wednesday May 9.

"It will be a case of targeting a threatened bird species at the most
vulnerable stage of its life-cycle," said Executive Manager of BirdLife
Cyprus, Martin Hellicar.

"These threatened doves will be hit as they pass through Cyprus at the
tail-end of their long migration from Africa to their breeding grounds in
mainland Europe. The EU Birds Directive bans shooting during migration
towards nesting areas in order to ensure birds can successfully produce
young to replenish their numbers," said Hellicar.

Spring hunting is prohibited by EU law -the Birds Directive- in order to
protect wild birds during their migration from Africa to breeding grounds
in Europe. [2]

"This step by Cyprus represents a serious and unacceptable infringement of
European law..." -Konstantin Kreiser, EU Policy Manager, BirdLife

BirdLife International in Brussels have informed the European Commission
about this step and is to ask Commissioner Dimas for immediate and firm
reaction, asking the Cypriot government to revoke this decision.

"This step by Cyprus represents a serious and unacceptable infringement of
European law, and BirdLife International will ask national governments and
EU decision makers to express their protest to the Cypriot government."
said Konstantin Kreiser, EU Policy Manager at BirdLife in Brussels.

"This decision represents a very serious step backwards for both bird
conservation and hunting in Cyprus. We are not opposed to legal,
sustainable hunting - but this is not what we are faced with here." said
Hellicar. [3]

Malta, another EU country which permits spring hunting, is currently the
subject of legal action from the European Commission. Cyprus would have to
expect a similiar European Court case -with similiar EU wide
embarrassment- if the country doesn't revoke its decision,
conservationists have warned.

PS Sorry idiot I am forgot the government of Cyprus should be first on my list.

Last edited:
Depressing

Why are turtle doves always 'hunted'? What is different about this species that makes certain low life want to shoot them?

Hi,

At the moment they are going to shoot Turtle Doves, what next?

I sent emails last night I do not want to see a Europe where birds cannot fly free where the land is covered in their bodies and blood, what animals will follow. Nature is having a hard enough time fighting developments don't let us allow this to happen.

So far Malta have got away with it, Cyprus think they will join in the slaughter it won't just be Turtle Doves that are shot remember. Soon other Med. countries and France will follow suit.

I thought we lived in a modern 21st century that appreciated wildlife and our environment, instead we seem to be allowing barbarians to turn the clock back to the dark ages.

Instead of weeping as mentioned on the thread in Birds and Birding get writing, at least it shows you care and are trying to do something.

Ann :storm: :storm: :storm: :egghead:

It's difficult not to conclude that the EU's spineless inaction with regard to Malta's wriggling out of their commitments to wild bird welfare has encouraged this deplorable step. Shame on them all,
John

I have a nagging bad feeling that these actions are going to have a roll-over effect if something decisive from the commission is not done very fast.

I am sure some politicians will ride the wave to gather more popularity from hunters, by trying to allow spring hunting in the EU.

All EU countries are now at risk.

I'm speechless - it's absolutely deplorable. I thought Cyprus were at last abiding by rules of Birds Directive. Bad news!

Hi Folks,

Just thought I would let you know as yet, I haven't received even an acknowedgment to the emails I sent. Of course they may all have had a long weekend break.

Ann :-C

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back