• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x32 trinovid BN vs Meopta 8x32 Meostar (1 Viewer)

spencer2010

Hi all, I am looking for a compact to take on canoe and backcountry trips as well as travel. I am looking at spending around 800 and am considering these 2 . I find the Meopta in the 42mm extremely comfortable in my hand far more so than Swaro el and to some degree more than the Ultravid 42. I don't have access to either of the 32s mentioned above and so am asking for some input re: ergonomics and general optical comparisons. I know for a fact that the Swaro els just don't fit my hand so they are out. also looking for a more compact size than the Zen, so they too are out.
Cheers
and thanks in advance
mikeB :)

oh and i currently have Leica Ultravid 8x42 and 10 x 50 and trinovid 8x20 (which while nice are a bit painful after extended use)

Hi all, I am looking for a compact to take on canoe and backcountry trips as well as travel. I am looking at spending around 800 and am considering these 2 . I find the Meopta in the 42mm extremely comfortable in my hand far more so than Swaro el and to some degree more than the Ultravid 42. I don't have access to either of the 32s mentioned above and so am asking for some input re: ergonomics and general optical comparisons. I know for a fact that the Swaro els just don't fit my hand so they are out. also looking for a more compact size than the Zen, so they too are out.
Cheers
and thanks in advance
mikeB :)

oh and i currently have Leica Ultravid 8x42 and 10 x 50 and trinovid 8x20 (which while nice are a bit painful after extended use)

Given your strong feelings about the range of bins you've listed, I think it is clear that you will have to try them yourself. Given what you know you like/don't like, I'd expect you to be able to make a better guess about which would fit you best based on their pictures and dimensional specs than anyone else can. One thing I will point out is that how you get on with the full sized versions is not a good predictor for fit to the 2/3 sized (e.g. I think the 8x42 is horrible ergonomically, but the 8x32 is one of my all time favorites). Order from a place that has a good return policy.

--AP

Last edited:
Thanks Alexis, I figured I may have painted myself into a corner and can certainly order the Meopta's but the Triovids are used so its a bit of a gamble, I guess I could always resell if they don't work, might take a bath though.
Mike

The 8 x 32 Trinovid still has many fans even though it has been replaced by the Ultravid. You can find many favorable comments on it (and otherwise) if you do a Forum Search. See the Search Forums link in top right hand corner of this thread.

Bob

PS: Although it might just be easier to scroll through the Leica Sub-Forum index.

Here is a good thread: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=126090

By the way, you would probably get more feedback if this were posted in the Leica sub-forum.

Last edited:
the Trinovid as mentioned has many many fans and is renowned for ergonomics. It's hard to take a bath on one used since they hold their value quite well.

you should also consider the Vortex Viper HD 8x32, which is excellent optically and has great ergonomics, and is actually quite compact and a bit lighter than the Trinny. Plus you get that ironclad no-fault Vortex warranty.

Spencer,

Here is a review of the Meopta Meostar 8 x 32 by Frank D. who comments here often. His reviews of binoculars are very well received in this forum and they are lucid and thorough. Like you he states that he prefers 42mm over 32mm but he also clearly likes the Meopta 8 x 32 very much.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=132568

Eagle Optics carries these binoculars and they have a 30 day no fault right to return them if you don't like them. Inquire about it.

Bob

Thank you for the comments Bob. They are appreciated. :)

I have owned both of these 8x32 models but not at the same time. I would agree with all of the previous comments listed above.

To put it simply, if pressed, I would choose the Meopta. I had a chance a couple of months ago to try the 8x32 Meopta again and found it to be an excellent overall binocualr. The ergonomics are only second to the Swaro EL 8x32. I loved the texture of the rubber armor, the placement of the thumb indents and the "ease of view" generated by the size and shape of the oculars.

Optically I don't think there is much difference between the two models in terms of "overall performance". Both are up there in the highest percentage of 8x32 performers. The only characteristics holding either back from being considered as "the best" are the fact that both utilized silver prism coatings and the lack of ED glass in the objective design. Yes, both of those characteristics contribute to the highest potential for optical performance but in and of themselves shouldn't be considered as the "be all, end all" for classifying a binoculars' performance level.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Thanks Frank and Caesar, I think I will order the Meopta's though BH, they have a liberal return policy and I have never had any issues with them in the past. What you said pretty much confirms my initial impressions.

Cheers
Mike
B :)

I just checked the BH site and noted that the Meopta is now listed as 8x32 RP as opposed to the B1, is this in fact a change to the model? All other Meostars are still called B1s....curious.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back