• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7d m11 firmware (1 Viewer)

Yes, I have installed it Kath, can's say I have noticed any difference one way or the other. Mind you I have not had any problems with the Camera anyway.

I've seen a few folks on other forums mentioned improved results.

Of all the folks reporting problems one might think about them in 3 groups; those with major focus issues which some people have had success changing out bodies or sending them to Canon, those with inconsistencies or occasional focus issues that possibly could be software related, and those that either may not understand how to get the most out of the 7D or have unrealistic expectations such as shooting where there is atmospheric disturbances (like heat waves) or are trying to crop too much.

Here's a thread of a person attributing improvement form the 1.04 firmware
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1366289

I just updated mine last night and then ran though AFMA using the DotTune process for my 600mm lens bar and with 1.4 and 2x extenders. Interestingly the 600mm increased by 1, 840mm increased by 4 and 1,200mm increased by 10.

I seen someone mention that AFMA can change with temperture so I ran my 1DX through the same 3 combinations. Two of the combinations were identical and one (1,200mm) went down by 1.

I consider a change of 1 within the margin of error and insignificant.

Since only the 7D2 AFMA needed changing from the firmware it seems likely the autofocus software was changed in firmware 1.04. Whether it has a positive outcome for many folks will be interesting to see. I was getting sharp shots with mine but have wondered if I could be getting more consistent results.

Doug

I just updated mine last night and then ran though AFMA using the DotTune process for my 600mm lens bar and with 1.4 and 2x extenders. Interestingly the 600mm increased by 1, 840mm increased by 4 and 1,200mm increased by 10.

I seen someone mention that AFMA can change with temperture so I ran my 1DX through the same 3 combinations. Two of the combinations were identical and one (1,200mm) went down by 1.

I consider a change of 1 within the margin of error and insignificant.

Since only the 7D2 AFMA needed changing from the firmware it seems likely the autofocus software was changed in firmware 1.04. Whether it has a positive outcome for many folks will be interesting to see. I was getting sharp shots with mine but have wondered if I could be getting more consistent results.

Doug
Very interesting.

But you've got me worried.

I spent all yesterday morning fine-tuning my Sigma 150-600 at various ranges for focus with a 1.4 extender (3m, 6m, 15m and infinity) with the in-camera micro-adjustment at zero and got it just about right at last.

Then last night I installed the new firmware! :eek!:

Doug
That's interesting although I have found in the past that the DotTune method seems to give me different results each time anyway.
I may give AFMA another go although early shots since updating the Firmware appear that it has not made any difference to the sharpness for me.

I've just taken a couple of photos from the back window (with and without the 1.4) and first indications are that all is well.

We'll see.

Last edited:
I am currently in Lesvos, thankfully I bought my old 7D body and have switched back to that.
Obviously the fact that the firmware update came too late is a huge disappointment for me.
I have met a number of a amateur photographers out here, many of which have the same
focus problems as mine, they are very up set about the cameras performance.
To be fair I have also met some who are happy with theirs.
Yesterday I switched back to the Mark 2, while my wife was using her 600 D .
She got serviceable record flight shots of Goshawk, while mine were completely and I mean completely, out of focus!
I look forward to following this thread when I get back home.
Thanks for posting.

I am currently in Lesvos, thankfully I bought my old 7D body and have switched back to that.
Obviously the fact that the firmware update came too late is a huge disappointment for me.
I have met a number of a amateur photographers out here, many of which have the same
focus problems as mine, they are very up set about the cameras performance.
To be fair I have also met some who are happy with theirs.
Yesterday I switched back to the Mark 2, while my wife was using her 600 D .
She got serviceable record flight shots of Goshawk, while mine were completely and I mean completely, out of focus!
I look forward to following this thread when I get back home.
Thanks for posting.
Really sorry to hear about your problems, Mick. I brought my 7DII and the 100-400II to Lesvos and I loved its performance. I found that the AF response differs from the 7D, mainly in the sense that using zone focus made the AF point jump over the place more than with the 7D. The need to use spot focus (possibly with expansion points) seems to be more prominent than before. But taking that into account, the camera performed very well. Still sorting through the photo, but I'll post some. Here are a ew on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/64301924@N05/sets/72157652183468270
I do hope you're having a good time anyway. I know I thoroughly enjoyed my first visit.
Peter
(Contrary to the above I tried out some BIF shots yesterday with all 65 points active. I ll post them on the main 7DII thread. It didn't do badly at all. Hope you'll get your camera fixed!)

. The need to use spot focus (possibly with expansion points) seems to be more prominent than before.
Peter
(Contrary to the above I tried out some BIF shots yesterday with all 65 points active. I ll post them on the main 7DII thread. It didn't do badly at all. Hope you'll get your camera fixed!)
You cannot have spot focus with expansion points can you Peter? Spot focus is just that, focus on a single spot (which is smaller than the normal AF focus point). I am guessing you are meaning single point expansion.

I have also been reasonable impressed with all 65 points active, especially for really fast/erratic flyers. I have always given up on all points active on previous cameras as the AF point switching never seemed to keep up with the action but with the 7D2 (and the correct AI servo 'case') it works well. The attached shot was taken with all points active, not sure I would have got the shot with any other AF mode.

Attachments

• swallow in flight1.jpg
    swallow in flight1.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
You cannot have spot focus with expansion points can you Peter? Spot focus is just that, focus on a single spot (which is smaller than the normal AF focus point). I am guessing you are meaning single point expansion.

I have also been reasonable impressed with all 65 points active, especially for really fast/erratic flyers. I have always given up on all points active on previous cameras as the AF point switching never seemed to keep up with the action but with the 7D2 (and the correct AI servo 'case') it works well. The attached shot was taken with all points active, not sure I would have got the shot with any other AF mode.
Ah, thanks, Roy! Of course I mean single point. That's a great swallow shot and I completely agree with your findings.
Peter

I have today updated my firmware and agree that it may be important to redo the MFA, which changed the most for the 100-400L lens. This may explain the mixed results associated with the new 1.04 firmware.

I have always given up on all points active on previous cameras as the AF point switching never seemed to keep up with the action but with the 7D2 (and the correct AI servo 'case') it works well. The attached shot was taken with all points active, not sure I would have got the shot with any other AF mode.

That's some Swallow shot, Roy! I will have to try the same thing. Could you just confirm the "correct AI servo 'case' " you used - the same as for single point expansion as described up-thread, or different tracking set up?

Cheers

John

That's some Swallow shot, Roy! I will have to try the same thing. Could you just confirm the "correct AI servo 'case' " you used - the same as for single point expansion as described up-thread, or different tracking set up?

Cheers

John
Hi John, The main thing when trying to shoot these fast erratic flyers with all AF points active is to have a fast AF point auto switching mode -I find case 5 is the best as it is set to the fastest switching setting. You can, of course set up a customized 'case' but there is no real advantage for this type of shot IMO. You also obviously need a fast shutter speed.

Hi John, The main thing when trying to shoot these fast erratic flyers with all AF points active is to have a fast AF point auto switching mode -I find case 5 is the best as it is set to the fastest switching setting. You can, of course set up a customized 'case' but there is no real advantage for this type of shot IMO. You also obviously need a fast shutter speed.

Thank very much Roy. I will give that a go if I get an opportunity.

Cheers

John

Well I dusted off the Old Lemon and loaded the new Firmware just to see if there was any improvement in the camera performance.
Hammered off a few thousand shots of the local Puffins and got some not too bad results see attached.
Loads of issues still with my copy,AF/ON button still stuck on zone AF so I just live with it and use it for flyers as I have set star button next to it on same function with single point so just jiggle between the two for the shot I need, also noticed something is rattling about inside so looks like my Lemon also has a Screw Loose. Doubt Canon can come up with a Firmware to rectify that problem, also AF still freezing on me now and again so have to power off and on to re- awaken it and still only getting about one good in focus shot out of a burst of ten.
Don't think the 7d2 takes a crop as good as 7d used to either but I think I will just have to live with these issues and accept that it will be hit and miss till the end of its days or until 7d3 appears.

Bob

Attachments

• legs.JPG
    legs.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 139
  • straw.JPG
    straw.JPG
    363.3 KB · Views: 120
  • puffish.JPG
    puffish.JPG
    421.5 KB · Views: 120
  • poofs.jpg
    poofs.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 130
  • pipe.JPG
    pipe.JPG
    419.6 KB · Views: 142
Well I dusted off the Old Lemon and loaded the new Firmware just to see if there was any improvement in the camera performance.
Hammered off a few thousand shots of the local Puffins and got some not too bad results see attached.
Loads of issues still with my copy,AF/ON button still stuck on zone AF so I just live with it and use it for flyers as I have set star button next to it on same function with single point so just jiggle between the two for the shot I need, also noticed something is rattling about inside so looks like my Lemon also has a Screw Loose. Doubt Canon can come up with a Firmware to rectify that problem, also AF still freezing on me now and again so have to power off and on to re- awaken it and still only getting about one good in focus shot out of a burst of ten.
Don't think the 7d2 takes a crop as good as 7d used to either but I think I will just have to live with these issues and accept that it will be hit and miss till the end of its days or until 7d3 appears.

Bob
What I cannot understand Bob, is why do you not just send the Camera back as being defective, it cannot be a year old yet so must be covered by the Canon warranty.

What I cannot understand Bob, is why do you not just send the Camera back as being defective, it cannot be a year old yet so must be covered by the Canon warranty.
Unless Roy it's either a second hand one (plenty of them about for some reason) or it's a grey import .

Unless Roy it's either a second hand one (plenty of them about for some reason) or it's a grey import .
Yes Jeff but grey imports are usually covered , HDEW give three years (and use Canon approved UK repairers from what I have read). I have not seen a lot of second hand ones around but I guess there could be some who had one of the early 'bad' batch and decided not to send them back for some reason. I am sure there are also some that bought them expecting a 1DX performance and were disappointing ( you always get a few like that lol). Add to that those that bought one and did not know how to use it and there would bound to be some used ones kicking about. I do not know how many has been sold thus far but I would guess the used ones up for sale would be a minute percentage - certainly a lot less than 1% that's for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back