• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone used a company called Pro Vision (1 Viewer)

ternaround

This company has a Canon 1DX, new, for sale at £3239. Does anyone know anything about this company or has dealt with them or is it the usual ' if it looks too good to be true it probably is'. They have several customer references but are they genuine ?

Many thanks John.

The only Pro Vision I am aware of is a professional film and television equipment hire company owned by ITV. They are based in London, Leeds and Manchester.

If it is the same company I would guess any prices would be before VAT, though they are not a retail organisation as far as I know.

If it is anyone else I would guess that they are using a known company name to give themselves credibility.

Another update: You are not alone asking this question - it appears that there are many Pro-Visions out there.

http://forums.hexus.net/photography-camcorders/262041-pro-vision-co-uk-experiences.html

This link suggests you were wise to check before parting with cash.

Last edited:
If you are in any doubt then I would avoid them. They may well be legit but you can get one cheaper on E Bay and if you pay by PayPal you have pretty good protection. I bought my 1DX back in November 2013, from E Bay, and it is only in the last few weeks that it has dropped below what I paid! The cheap ones will be Grey Imports but Canon doesn't seem to mind and accept them for CPS registration quite happily.

This one seems to be about the cheapest from a dealer with a track record:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SALE-Cano...127?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4c563e5f

I have no association with them or any other E Bay trader but I have spent many thousands on E Bay.

Thanks for the replies. Is that the seller you used John? I can go a little bit higher pricewise as long as I'm dealing with a reputable seller I'd be happy.

Thanks for the replies. Is that the seller you used John? I can go a little bit higher pricewise as long as I'm dealing with a reputable seller I'd be happy.

No - unfortunately the seller I used no longer stocks them!
I recently bought a Canon 24-70 F2.8 L V2 from Richmond cameras with zero issues, but they don't have any new 1DX cameras in stock. Previously I have bought large Canon lenses (300 F2.8 L IS, 400 F2.8 L and 800 F5.6 L IS) and the transactions have been very smooth.
These days you have quite a bit of protection on E Bay, so long as you use paypal, at the moment the sellers are far more open to fraud than the buyers. I mentioned that seller simply because they have a good track record that could easily be damaged by a single duff sale. A few months ago I was suspicious of a seller and contacted E Bay with my concerns, funds were returned the same day!

I spotted this company and made a few checks to see what I could find out. I was once almost conned when buying an iMac on Amazon but became suspicious when payment was due to be made to a bank outside of the UK. The con men had hijacked a legitimate web site to use their past history of sales and recommendations so you think you are dealing with a reputable company but when I investigated those recommendations none were for electrical items.
I then checked the address of the company selling the iMac with Google Street view and found a picture of a scruffy bungalow .
If you look at Pro Vision they are supposed to be at an address where, according to Steet View there is no sign of them. It could of course be just an office taking orders to ship in on demand from the Far East rather than a company that holds stocks. Judging by their portfolio of products if they are legitimate that is probably the case, however, I decided to walk away.

Interesting Dave. I didn't realise that sites/IDs were being hi-jacked on Amazon as well as E other sites. I often see IDs on E Bay that are obviously fake/hi-jacked and report them but even after 10 years working in Fraud prevention I got caught out! That was the case that I mentioned above - report - instant refund - sorted, that is why I have much more confidence in E Bay these days. Though it always is best to be careful when shopping on line whoever the retailer is.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back