• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Can you Fix my Noctivid or give me my cash back !!!!! (1 Viewer)

I've had a minor issue with my Noctivids, causing me to want them sent back to Germany, my local optics retailers since told me they may not be back before i go to shetland this year, but the rep has assured them if my Bins aren't returned, i will have a brand new pair to take with me,....So Leica are listening to consumers and upping their post customer services..

As they have proven to do so in the last two years:clap::clap:

Jan

Globetrotter

Have you had any response from Leica yet?

Lee

Hi Troubador.

They contact me but i have some mix felling about what they told me.

Now they want to binocular to be sent to Germany instead of Portugal maybe to do a closer inspection and check and learn about whats wrong with this unit.

But nothing about to offer me another replacement so thats mean thant i have to wait until they finish ?

I don't Know.......i already told them to give me another sample because after paid in January for this NV most of the time was not in my hands always with problems and traveling to be fixed.

Tired about this situation i already upgrade my lovely SV 10X42 bought early 2011 for a SV 10X50 FP and as it should be is an absolutely perfect sample with an amazing focus and collimation.

I still missing the almost APO colors of the NV and his amazing Veil glare and stray light suppression but in normal conditions i mean not looking towards or close to the sun the SV is an absolutely amazing binocular a truly Masterpiece.

If it was bought in January and has spent most of it's life in Leica repair facilities, it is time Leica stepped up and replaced it.

Attachments

• IMG_3895.jpg
    IMG_3895.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 95
Personally I hate the two-in-one focus solution. It's an answer to a question that no one was asking - the dioptre on the hinge [a la many Zeiss] or on the right eyepiece works just fine and is far less complex.

You can say that again. An answer to a question no one was asking - that's it.

Mind you, I've got a feeling even the two-in-one focusers worked alright until the manufacturers started making binoculars with very close focus. The Trinovid BA of the 1990s for instance never suffered from the problems reported here (and elsewhere).

Hermann

Overall, I prefer hinge-located diopter rings, including integrated ones, over right eyepiece ones. In contrast to others, I've had plenty of the latter that don't hold their setting, and I've never had trouble with the former. I really like the Leica diopter adjustment of the Trinovid BA/BN and that is the same for the Ultravid (other than pocket) models. It is easy to adjust and yet is very secure. I like it better than the diopter control of the Zeiss FL and Swarovski EL models, but they have never given me trouble.

--AP

I Do a lot of photography at hight level and i already have more than 15TH leica products register by me in the Leica Owner area, the Noctivid are Peanuts as any Leica Lens can be from the same price up to 5 times the price of the NV.

Yeah that's so true. I'm not suggesting that the Noctivid is good value, but looking at the Leica catalog, the price of admission for a German made Noctivid is indeed peanuts in the 'Leica' scheme of things. In fact, Leica camera and lens products are so outrageously expensive that it seems slightly bizarre to think they can still grind the lenses and build a binocular in Germany and sell it on for so little money.

Here's a nice little Leica package. Shipping is free.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEICA-LEITZ...362740?hash=item238d0e0974:g:v5MAAOSwRwhZrRxq

If it was bought in January and has spent most of it's life in Leica repair facilities, it is time Leica stepped up and replaced it.

I'm definitely in agreement. GT has been very patient in waiting this out. At this stage, the fact that an instant replacement hasn't been offered by Leica, borders on sheer rudeness and customer service incompetency.

I realize that different markets and economies handle service differently but I'm not used to experiencing this in the states, at least not to the extent of feeling powerless to effect the outcome or not having some recourse option.

Although I enjoy all of my Leica products, this doesn't give me confidence that my best money is spent with them today. I had been warming to the idea of a 7x35 Trinovid classic but gosh, I don't want to have to deal with a Leica warranty issue, especially when companies like Swarovski and Nikon are at the opposite end of the customer service spectrum.

GT, I really hope this all works out for you. I suspect that it will but it's very frustrating to spent alpha funds and get this kind of warranty service. Best wishes to you man and please keep us updated.

Last edited:
No news at all, this is fustrating.

I dont have any hope to receive a new unit they probably will try to fix mine.

Indeed it seems frustrating,
for how long have you been without your Noctivids?

4 weeks would be OK for me to wait, 6 weeks perhaps acceptable,
but more than that...nahh.

Actually there is another thread on BF where a guy sent his 100-400mm Leica/Pana camera lens to be fixed (warranty issue), but he never got it back, so he changed to another make...

Regarding service in Germany, I had very similar issues with Zeiss. They all need to run their facilities based on average flows, so although for example Zeiss aims at a turnover time of only 6 days 4-6 weeks are nothing unusual probably. Don´t expect wonders, especially with the long summer holidays just gone by, where service facilities can only run at a reduced pace and repairs heap up.

I agree with Rathaus that the price for this glass is not high given the complexity of the task and German production. Everyone dealing with as many alpha bins as you did knows there will always be quite a few lemons, because the pressure of the market is high and prices would need to be much higher for more effective QC. Look at the price of that flagship Nikon WX...

Trust your eyes, and be patient, but persistent. They will deal with your glass, but probably later than sooner and that´s how it is.

Last edited:
No news at all, this is fustrating.

I dont have any hope to receive a new unit they probably will try to fix mine.
I feel for you as clearly this experience is doing nothing for your confidence in a flagship binocular and even less for the example you’ve purchased.

Mindful of your thread title and in all seriousness have you asked for refund?

Hope it all comes good very soon.

LGM

Last News from Leica.

They are sending back the same binocular.

They claim that the focus mechanism was change and the binocular was perfectly collimated so the unit was disabled and comes with new rubber cover.

So the binocular will arrive to Madrid the next week, a quick check with my 10X50 FP and late night one start test will say and confirm if everything is ok with the optics.

Sorry if i am not very enthusiast i already loses any illusion and hope.....lets see.

Thanks to all of you guys for your kind words and support.

Last edited:
Ok, not such brilliant service, my armouring on the Nocts started to lift, not a big optical issue, but i wanted it fixed, so sent them away on 25th Aug via local optics retailer, my mate had the inside of his Nocts actually fog up after getting caught in a rain shower, bigggggg issue, sent away and we both got them back yesterday 28/9 after much cajoling and hustling and hassling, just in time for our break to Shetland on monday, my said mate suggesed leica should of gave him a new pair, as only 5 months old, for such a big issue i think he was correct,........not a chance, now he has to hope it doesn't recur, the rigorous pre sale testing should of picked this fault up....

Last edited:
...my said mate suggesed leica should of gave him a new pair, as only 5 months old, for such a big issue i think he was correct,........not a chance, now he has to hope it doesn't recur, the rigorous pre sale testing should of picked this fault up....

In my experience, Leica usually restores bins to like new condition when it services them, so I don't think a new bin is likely to be any better than one that's been repaired. The latter might even be better, if it is checked thoroughly in the course of repair. I had to send in my Leica 8x32 BA just a few days after purchase for a hair that appeared in the view. That was in 1996 or so, and they've had no problems since. I'm not sure how thorough the pre-sale checks are beyond quality control during production. I've also had to return bins to Swarovski, Zeiss, and Nikon for repair shortly after purchase, so this isn't a failing unique to Leica.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back