• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ruddy Darter? & Southern Hawker? (1 Viewer)

puffinboy

Dear All

Long time birder short time dragonflier...!! (E.Sussex)

Started seriously looking at DFs from the end of June this year and have so far seen;

Azure, Common Blue, White Legged, Large Red, Blue Tailed, Red Eyed & Emerald Damselflies - plus Banded Demoiselle

Broad Bodied Chaser, Black Tailed Skimmer, Emperor, Common Darter

In Lewes, East Sussex today found a little stream near the A27 and saw these little Dragonflies (I think Ruddy Darter but would value a second opinion!) - couldn't get any closer due to nettles but every now and then it flew off for a little sortie then landed at the same spot

Later on in my local forest saw this possible? female Southern Hawker - why do these large DFs never seem to land!! So I thought right I'll take some pics of you flying...!! Kinda worked out...

Been rummaging through the forum this evening - fascinating stuff....

Cheers - Tom

Attachments

• Possible-Southern-Hawker.jpg
    Possible-Southern-Hawker.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 134
  • Possible-Ruddy-Darter.jpg
    Possible-Ruddy-Darter.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 124
Hello Tom,
It would appear from what I can see from your photographs, your ID's may be correct.

It would be of great help to us, if you could post each picture individually rather than as a 'block'. I realise that will take a little longer to upload them.

If you can size each picture to a maximum size of 600 pixels, along any one side of each of your pictures, before posting them, it will give us a chance of giving you a more accurate opinion. It is far easier for us to click onto an individual picture and download it into a photo editing programme and to crop and enlarge an individual image, than it is when the photographs are in a block form.

Please note that no criticism is intended, it is just that it is very difficult if not impossible, to give an opinion when the pictures are locked together.

Harry

Hi Harry

Good point - here are the 2 best images cropped down from the originals

Hope this is better....

By the way the presumed female Southern Hawker was joined the male who didn't stay around for long but definately had a bluer tail....

Ta Tom

Attachments

• SouthernHawker-Possible_Best.JPG
    SouthernHawker-Possible_Best.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 114
  • RuddyDarter-Possible_Best.JPG
    RuddyDarter-Possible_Best.JPG
    243.4 KB · Views: 130
Hi Tom,

I know what you mean about the hawkers never seeming to land. if you watch them long enough they do tend to land in trees but they can be difficult to pickout without flushing them. On cooler days they land more often and if you catch a pair flying in tandem (mating) they tend to land and can be easily watched very closely, seen Common hawker like that many times.

Oh by the way I would agree with your id Ruddy Darter definately and Southern Hawker almost certain.

Garry

puffinboy said:
Hi Harry

Good point - here are the 2 best images cropped down from the originals

Hope this is better....

By the way the presumed female Southern Hawker was joined the male who didn't stay around for long but definately had a bluer tail....

Ta Tom

Hello Tom,
Sorry, but I can't do better with the ID's than before, both insects become very blurred when your pictures are enlarged after cropping. For insect photography you really need to get very close to the subject, and preferably have a camera with a macro, or super macro feature, a 3-6 million recorded pixels capacity is also a distinct advantage.

The Macro feature on my camera permits pictures to be taken from a distance of 10 to 80cm, or 1'0" to 2'6".

Super macro permits pictures to be taken from 1 to 20cm. or 0.4" to 7.9"

At such distances your fortunate to see a moving insect through either the LCD screen or the viewfinder. Personally I consider myself lucky to be able to even follow the flight of some insects using my Mk 1 eyeball, never mind through a camera viewer.

Dragonflies seldom rest for long in hot weather and unless they are at rest, they are very difficult to photograph. Don't give up, practice will make your pictures better in time. Sadly being ancient already, I don't think I will live long enough to get the necessary experience. lol.

If you check out some of the pictures in the 'Gallery' you can find out what equipment was used to obtain each individual picture. This may also help you decide if you have the right camera for the job.

Harry

Hi Tom,

Further to Harry' suggestions Digiscoping is also a very good way of obtaining images of settled insects see attached examples

Attachments

• broad bodied chaser1a.jpg
    broad bodied chaser1a.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 112
  • emperor.jpg
    emperor.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 115
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back