• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backwater Birding - Seaton, Devon (1 Viewer)

Silvio Davison said:
Good one Terry! Hadn't thought of that! I'll know the answer in a few days...you're prob right! Thanks...see if you find out what the first is.
If you guys wanted we could (or indeed, you could) do the contest on this thread and then see the final score...a bit like birding bonanza

cheers

Silvio :scribe:

I have been away for a few days and have obviously missed something. What is the connection with Seaton?. Roger

Dipper on the Coly again today near Heathayne Bridge. Yesterday buzzards “talon grappling” at Trinity Hill was a breathtaking spectacle, which I’ve never seen before. They only let go seconds before disaster!!

My Lesser spotted woodpecker hunt as been continuing, I have regularly been covering six woods all within the local patch and also the area around Fairview Lane Colyford, where I have been reliably informed one has been seen and heard!!
I’ve walked miles but all to no avail, as far as Lesser spots are concerned. I’ve seen more Great spots than you can shake a stick at and found two nest holes in the process of being excavated (but never seen the owners). I’m now going to give up this method and just wait until I jam into one !

There has been one positive side effect however, I’ve lost stacks of weight and a jeans size!

I think it’s time to start on the coast path!|;|

Hi Forum, Karen same with us, Lesser Spot Count in 25 Years total 0. Keep looking, Yarner woods is the place to see them ,There must be a pair on our Patch, so like us keep looking. Thanks Fraser and team, the new plans our great, good to hear plenty of interest.

Hahaha - nice one Karen, keep it up!!! Well done yet again with the Dipper!

Pretty routine stuff for me today, about a dozen Sand Martins at Seaton Marshes, with half that number over Colyford Marsh, saw our Egyptian Goose and both these sites during today. 4 Common Scoters passed over the sea, with a Great Crested Grebe sat on the sea, also 3 Curlew flew out and 1 Grey Heron flew in! (some proper passage!). That's pretty much the lot!

Enjoyed reading the February bird-list for Seaton Marshes which is on view in Seaton Marshes Hide....2 Great White Egrets, 12 Garganey...(and probably the most amazing record)...80 Grey Plover!!!! Combine this with a monthly peak of no less than 28 Black-headed Gulls (should read 2,800 I guess)...hmmmmmm.... I think I smell a teeny rat!!! I'm sure all these are just typos, I understand this problem has occured in the past.

Yes Simon, it was great to see Frazer and James yesterday and hear all about the plans, but peope, DON'T WORRY if you missed it, make your way to Seaton Marshes bird hide tomorrow late morning/early afternoon for a second viewing....NOT TO BE MISSED!

Last edited:
devon.birder said:
I have been away for a few days and have obviously missed something. What is the connection with Seaton?. Roger

Roger,
I'm just trying to make friends with the LOCAL birders. I thought a birding contest could be interesting...something wrong with that?

Silvio Davison said:
Roger,
I'm just trying to make friends with the LOCAL birders. I thought a birding contest could be interesting...something wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with that at all Silvio but I only asked what the connection was with Seaton as there are over 50 different Forums on Bird Forums and I couldn't see any connection with your photos and Seaton.
I understand that you will be staying in Seaton and I hope you see some good birds while you are over here. Roger

devon.birder said:

Rog,

Desert Wheatear is the next predicted star rarity to arrive in Seaton.

(On top of Woolworths!). ;)

Cheers'

Ter

Silvio Davison said:
....sorry but I just wanted to add more things to this thread. :D
Hi Silvio. Roger's comment appropriately reminds us of one of the Birdforum guidelines, which I quote here:

Please stay on topic as far as possible. If you want to discuss a different subject, start a new thread - don't hijack someone else’s thread.
Hint: If your comments don't match the title of the thread, you are probably off topic.

After all, this thread is in the 'Your Local Patch' forum, so posts ought to relate basically to birding in the dismal backwater that is Seaton. We do occasionally wander off-topic, it's true, but I guess most readers tune in because they are curious about the latest antics of the local birders etc...

Incidentally, the full, unexpurgated BF guidelines can be read here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=29155

Right then - Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. This species is officially extinct in E Devon. If you hear one calling or drumming you'll need to track it down before rashly ticking it off, because you will UNDOUBTEDLY find that the noise is coming from a cd and loudspeaker, not a bird, as a would-be LSW spotter gets desperate. No records will be accepted without photographic evidence and corroboration from at least 5 other birders.

Karen - you're right. Forget all this marching about in the woods! Transfer that time and effort to the coast and keep your mobile fully charged!! And when you find a male melanoleuca Black-eared Wheatear please make sure I'm not at the top of a ladder before you tell me what you've got!

Colin Bushell said:
Gavin,

Something wrong here. When we lived in London weren't all the Iceland Gulls in the north and the wintering Spotted Red's and Greenshanks in the south-west?
Hi Colin. The many hundreds of Iceland Gulls that have been visiting the Axe this winter are only here because they were all issued with faulty GPS units - they actually think this is the Ribble! |=)|

Last edited:
Hi all,

Lazy morning, I confess to a bit of a lie in this morning, I didn't wake from my pit til gone 8! Still, had a nice quarter of an hour seawatching at about half 9. 1 Red-throated Diver was sat on the sea - very close in for a change, and a second one flew distant east, 2 Common Scoters went by west but the biggest highlight....and I mean BIGGEST, was a massive bull Grey Seal eating a fish off the Spot On Kiosk....he was one heck of a big boy, I can't remember ever seeing one as big as he!!!

Then to Seaton Marshes to enjoy a wonderful cake or too.....and an Egyptian Goose and a few Sand Martins!

Evening all, i have a cunning plan in trying to track down a lesser spotted woodpecker, only one ive ever seen was at morganhayes wood, stafford cross - which is part of the big wood that runs from southleigh to colyton...friend of mine owns a field on the edge of it, good habitat a few old birch and beech trees, as i got next week off ,im going to go out there tomorrow and put up a few nut baskets, then spend a hour or so next week checking them every afternoon to see what visits them! ( probably tits, nuthatch, and great spotted and no lessers, but its worth a go!!)

Steve Waite said:
I didn't wake from my pit til gone 8! Still, had a nice quarter of an hour seawatching at about half 9.

Pity you overslept, checking historical records for the Seaton area, I couldn't help but to notice how productive the sea had been on this exact day in past years in the quarter hour just before 9.00 ;) Wonder what went past today.

Quite right Gav, Lesser Spots are very rare in south west, We made a mistake last night its 30 years looking. The Good news, forgot are age. Bad news Dont know 5 Birders.Mind you its always the same, ring and the birds gone, thats are ((Bird ) Pet hate.

Just like to say thanks to Fraser and James for a very entertaining afternoon at Seaton hide today. The plans for the new reserve look great, thanks Fraser for explaining them in such detail and for answering all those questions which I'm sure you've answered many times in the last couple of weeks (amazingly it sounded as if you were still interested in what I had to say, don't know how you do it ;) )
P.S. Fraser, don't forget those low level windows in your new hides when you come to design them

Hi All River am, A very pale Iceland Gull was a great surprise, on coranatoin corner. Our lucks in the first House Martin ,we think was flying around the bungalow on the corner. 23 Canada geese at Farm Gate. Gav somebody has though your cd and loudspeaker, the answer to finding a Lesser Spot.And this guy ment it, we notice massive speakers, well you couldnt miss them stood up on Seaton Beach Faceing out to sea.

Ok you lot, there's only been 4 posts in the last 48 hours (and one of those was me.) Don't know whats going on down there, no rare gulls or something?
Anyway because of this you're all going to have to endure another episode of Bob spends the afternoon on the cliffs
Don't all start complianing at once, you asked for it. don't you realise I rely on you lot to keep me entertained in the evening.
Here's what happened...
got up really early and headed down to Brownsea Island in the hope of getting some good shots of early terns or late avocets, by 1.00pm we had about 10 shots of a greenshank, 5 of red squirrel and about 150 of balck headed gulls (yes I was that bored I started photographing gulls.) So it was back on the ferry to the waiting cars and then a quick head scratch to work out what to do next, "I know" says I, lets head over to Seaton, theres always something going on down there.
an hour and a half later we're sat beside a rapidly emptying estuary with nowt in camera range when I come up with another brainwave involving long walks up cliff paths.
2 hours and a few rain showers later this fulmar was the best shot of the day, we were hoping for ravens but they weren't playing ball at all.
Hope someone else had a better day than me, 12 hours out of the house and one decent photo isn't a great return for the effort.

Attachments

• fulmar.jpg
    fulmar.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 88
Well, Bob. Apologies for recent quietness. Haven't been doing any birding really....

However, guilt at my slackness prompted me to, er, get the camera out, and during a little sunny spell this afternoon I managed to snap a few, um, local birds. Here are the results (not as nice as your hard-earned Fulmar though, Bob - that's VERY nice).

1. A couple of gulls on the Seaton Marshes lagoon. The one on the right looked a bit smaller than the other Black-headed Gulls. Just a runt I guess....

2. While watching the gulls I spotted this funny looking Dunlin. I jumped the fence, sneaked up and got a few snaps. It too looked a bit small - another runt I suppose.

3. Finally, got home and discovered the new feeder I had put up was pulling in a few customers.

A good day - if it had happened.

Attachments

• Gulls-2.JPG
    Gulls-2.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 156
  • Little wader-1.JPG
    Little wader-1.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 168
  • Feeder birdies-1.JPG
    Feeder birdies-1.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 141
Evening all, went down seaton marshes this morning to see what was around, quite a cold wind and murky conditions, counted 13 little egrets, 4 black tailed godwits and about 25 meadow pipits passing through, then i went and checked my nut feeders in the woods for flocks of lesser spotted woodpeckers - all that came to them in a hour was 1 blue tit and a coal tit!( I wont give up yet!)...Then i came home for lunch, and then went up Beer Head from 1.30 -4.00, and at last some signs of a bit of bird movement - 182 meadow pipits, all over apart from 7 grounded, 15 chiffchaffs, 4 wheatear,4 stonechat and 2 blackcaps.

Interesting post that Gavin.....have you been to see the Doctor??!!!!

Spent all morning ringing, and after processing 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers and 2 Nuthatches (plus a few Great Tits) my hands felt battered to say the least!!!! Also caught a Bullfinch, a few Greenfinches and this Chiffchaff was rather nice. For all the non-ringers, the main difference between Chiffs and Willows in the hand is the wing forumula - note that the 6th primary feather is emarginated (like the 1st-5th), on a Willow Warbler, the 6th primary is not emarginated. (Emarginated means when the top edge of the feather notches in before the tip).

After this I returned home and ate a mammoth bacon roll in the front garden. Whilst munching away I heard a few Meadow Pipits going over....oh, I though, the first Mipit movement of the spring....this means migrants are migrating!!! Knowing Bun was heading up to Beer Head, I marched down to the Marshes.....

Between 13:30 - 16:10 had 115 Meadow Pipits fly north, but nothing much else. 3 Shovelers and 2 Black-tailed Godwits on Seaton Marsh, a few singing Chiffchaffs around the Borrow Pit and lots of Buzzards flying about. Herring Gulls are rather smart aren't they? All the Buzzards were flying about and they didn't give a monkeys, but when a Buzzard came over with a few missing central tail feathers, they went mental! They must have the standard Buzzard jizz imprinted in their tiny brains, and if a big bird doesn't fit that shape, they get up and make loads of noise!!!!

Attachments

• Chiffy-in-hand.jpg
    Chiffy-in-hand.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 68
  • Chiffy-head.jpg
    Chiffy-head.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Chiffy-wing-numbered.jpg
    Chiffy-wing-numbered.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 94
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back