• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backwater Birding - Seaton, Devon (1 Viewer)

Steve Waite said:
...and up at Coronation Corner I came across a bird, that at first I thought was going to be a Yellow-legged Gull, but a few doubts were creeping in so I gave Gav a ring. He decided to join me and we spent ages studying this thing...
Pretty much as soon as I clapped eyes on Steve's gull I thought it didn't look quite right for Yellow-legged, and as soon as it showed a decent profile view I wondered whether I was looking at my first Caspian Gull. Out came the little camera, which worked overtime, clocking up 127 shots! That would be getting on for 4 rolls of film - I love digital! I've attached some to this post, and shall post later in the ID forum too, with one or two additional pics that show other features. After looking over the images I shall stick my neck out and say that my vote goes to Caspian (though I am certainly not a gull expert). I just can't see that this is a YLG or Herring - too many features look wrong to me. That said, Caspian is officially a RACE of Yellow-legged Gull at the moment....

I think I am correct in saying that Devon had its first Caspian Gull only last year, so it is a very rare bird in this neck of the woods. Anyway, enjoy the photos Bob!! ;)

As for the rest of my day, the less said the better! Missed the Osprey (though I could see the gulls all up), and no other birding at all, though I did notice loads of Meadow Pipits going over. Now that Steve is storming off again Bonanza-wise I realise he was just toying with me - letting me think I was getting close and then shifting up a couple of gears....

Ah well..... |8(|

Attachments

• 2007_0402PossCasp0003.jpg
    2007_0402PossCasp0003.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 2007_0402PossCasp0014.jpg
    2007_0402PossCasp0014.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 2007_0402PossCasp0055.jpg
    2007_0402PossCasp0055.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 2007_0402PossCasp0073.jpg
    2007_0402PossCasp0073.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 2007_0402PossCasp0087.jpg
    2007_0402PossCasp0087.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 104
Those pics show the bird well, I love the side by side with the Herring Gull in the water. Make sure you post that one on the Q&A thread - looks mega Caspo-like there! Will be interested to see what the likes of JanJ say!!!

Karen - a pleasure, I'm glad you were there to share the 'show'!!! They are mighty birds!!!!

Steve Waite said:
Make sure you post that one on the Q&A thread...
Your wish is my command........... ;)

EDIT - Just poking around amongst this afternoon's pics and found this nice comparison shot too...

Attachments

• 2007_0402PossCasp0118.jpg
    2007_0402PossCasp0118.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Hi all!

Went up to Shute first thing to ring some baby Blackbirds, a nice surprise was a singing Lesser Spotted Woodpecker from a line of Oaks running into a wood, it even did a bit of drumming too, first time I've heard this song for years!! Also here a Green Woodpecker, at least 3 Great Spots, 4 Jays and 2 Nuthatches!!!! A rather top start to the day, though I must confess - just out of patch!!!

Then went to Seaton Marsh where 9 Wheatear made their way north onto the reserve - I'm pleased with these two snaps I took. Also here, 4 Sand Martins flew north.

Have also attached my best three of yesterdays star Gull....still waiting for the real experts opinions....

Working this afternoon, but if I get my arse into gear now, and spend my lunch hour in the field, I may still have 2 hours of birding time left!

Attachments

• Wheatear-2-'07.jpg
    Wheatear-2-'07.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Wheatear-1-'07.jpg
    Wheatear-1-'07.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 73
  • The-Gull!.jpg
    The-Gull!.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 81
  • The-Gull-2.jpg
    The-Gull-2.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 82
  • The-Gull-3.jpg
    The-Gull-3.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 78
Well, the jury's back in. And to the charge of 1st-winter Caspian Gullery the jury finds the defendant Not Guilty. It is, after all, just an innocent Herring Gull, Larus argentatus argenteus, going about its everyday business, nicked by the gull police just because it 'looked funny'. Prosecutor's evidence blown out of the water by expert witnesses. Another sickening example of Local Listers trying-it-on-big-time. Full story, with added outrage, in the Daily Mail....Oh, and here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=852151#post852151

Actually, it has been an interesting lesson from which all of us sad enough to look (with anything other than contempt) at immature large gulls no doubt gained. Nevertheless, in this case:

D- See me! Must pay more attention to detail.

One nice, easy to identify Iceland Gull (the new one) at the tram sheds late this afternoon. And that is the sum total of my birding today.

I know you guys won't believe this, but I don't know much about gulls. (no really ,it's true.) What I do know is that the 2 birds in those photos are completely different, even I would have noticed the difference.
Therefore I hereby create a whole new species named Waites gull or Haigs gull or even Seaton gull.
Ok then Steve, how many points do I get for identifying a new species?

Gavin Haig said:
Well, the jury's back in. And to the charge of 1st-winter Caspian Gullery the jury finds the defendant Not Guilty. It is, after all, just an innocent Herring Gull, Larus argentatus argenteus, going about its everyday business, nicked by the gull police just because it 'looked funny'. Prosecutor's evidence blown out of the water by expert witnesses. Another sickening example of Local Listers trying-it-on-big-time. Full story, with added outrage, in the Daily Mail....Oh, and here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=852151#post852151

Actually, it has been an interesting lesson from which all of us sad enough to look (with anything other than contempt) at immature large gulls no doubt gained. Nevertheless, in this case:

D- See me! Must pay more attention to detail.

Unlucky.

The fans in the terraces were stretching in wild anticipation, but rather than the expected euphoric crescendo,ended up issuing a powerful deafening gutted sigh on returning bums to seats. The game's not over, surely the strikers wil pull off a Caspian before the final whistle.

Axe Cliff this morning was decidedly cold in a biting wind. Unsurprisingly I didn't see any migrants here.

Late afternoon at Seaton Marshes there were at least 4 wheatears on the pathway. A White Wagtail with some Pied Wagtails and best of all 1 Swallow, which is what I was hoping for, my first this year. Delightful!!! |=)|

Last edited:
Hi everyone!!!

My Seaton Marshes totals for today (two visits, 1 early am, 1 early pm - in my lunch break!) include: 11 Wheatears, 1 Willow Warbler, 1 Peregrine plus a few Meadow Pipits passing through. Saw little else elsewhere.

Re: the Gull, I totally accept it isn't a Caspian Gull, but (with my rather limited knowledge) it wasn't 'just' a Herring Gull. That bird stood out and looked like no other of the last, say....10,000 first-winter Herring Gulls I've seen.

Hi All,Sue and I found Steves Singing Lesser Spot, The best April fools Joke ever. Were still crying in Laughter.Your right Bob just to make you feel better we Agree,Gulls drive us mad.

Larry Wheatland said:
The fans in the terraces were stretching in wild anticipation, but rather than the expected euphoric crescendo,ended up issuing a powerful deafening gutted sigh on returning bums to seats. The game's not over, surely the strikers wil pull off a Caspian before the final whistle.

The home Herring fans baited the away supporters into charging the perspex screen put up to seperate these two inflamitory sections. In swept the Larus Police with thier oversized batons and beat seven shades of guano out of the Caspian fans, leaving them breathless and bleeding in the terreces. "Perhaps these gulls aint worth bothering with" one sad and lonely individual was overheard saying as he hobbled off to a rooftop overlooking Co-op.

Keep on trying guys - this is the Axe's year of the gull after all.

James

Hi all.

Brilliant mornings ringing on Seaton Marsh, caught many birds including a Willow Warbler, a few Chiffchaffs and a Cetti's!! Hopefully some in-hand pictures will be along soon. A teneral Large Red Damselfly was my first of the year....that's an early one!!! Other migrants seen include singles of Wheatear and Swallow.

Fanfare Please

Yes indeedy, its the moment you have all been waiting for - the publication of the Axe Estuary And Seaton Bay Bird Report 2006!

Available now by sending a cheque for £5.50p made payable to East Devon District Council, to Diane Berry in the Countryside Service, the Knowle, Sidmouth, EX10 8HL, and in a matter of days you will receive this quality publication through the post.

Packed full of every species note of the last 12 months, the report also has fact-packed articles about local nature reserves within the report area, seawatching and reports from the local WeBS count and local ringing group.

Everything you need to know about birding The Patch is in here, fully illustrated with achingly beautiful bird photography and sharp pen and ink line art.

Grab your limited edition copy while stocks last.

James

Attachments

• IMGP0822.jpg
    IMGP0822.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 95
I couldn't get out this morning but just before lunch I popped to Brucklands to see the Tufted Duck Gav had seen and very lonely he looked too!

After this I went up to Beer Head, Ive been itching to get up there for a while but didn't fancy it in that north wind we've been having. It was glorious but a bit late in the day for many migrants, I think? I only saw 4 Wheatears and 1 Blackcap. There were lots of Clouded Yellows flying around and what I think was a Holly Blue.

I still needed to walk the dog, so popped off down the Coly for a bit where I saw 4 Kingfishers but no Dipper today |=(|. Good news is I found some Otter spraints,(which I did smell to make sure!) so Otters are definitely coming up the Coly. I've also attached a photo of my doggy doing what he does best! :eek!: It's a wonder I see any birds at all when with him. Seriously though anything smaller than a pheasant is invisible to him as he's half blind now! He certainly couldn't catch anything!

After tea I visited Colyford Common and saw nowt!

Attachments

• tuftie504.jpg
    tuftie504.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 84
  • Ispaints.jpg
    Ispaints.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 83
  • hunting.jpg
    hunting.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
An exciting day! The Report is here at last, and is superb. It is also brilliant and amazing. And excellent. Seriously, it is a classy publication, and a must-have for any with an interest in the Backwater antics. 84 pages, 23 colour photos, several gorgeous line drawings, 2 double-page full colour maps etc etc. It's worth it just for the Review of the Year! I am not at all biased, but it is probably the best Bird Report in the world.

I went to Beer Head at dawn, and saw the sun rise. It was beautiful. I expected a few migrants to join me in witnessing it's beauty. They were all late. Karen saw them.

Between jobs I detoured very, very slightly so that I could drive past Lower Bruckland Ponds. An absolutely STONKING drake Tuftie was showing BRILLIANTLY in the middle of one of the ponds. When my pulse slowed a little I sent some texts. The poor bird was hounded mercilessly by twitchers for the rest of the day. My fourth patch Tuftie. Local birding is great isn't it? If I was still birding in W London and sent a text saying '275 Tufties showing really well on Staines Res', people would start avoiding eye contact and so on, but down here I get 'Thanks Gav - what a fantastic find. You are a genius'. In fact, I think Tuftie and Common Scoter have reversed roles since I've switched location......

More importantly, that little black and white baby is worth 8 points..... :t:

I spent my lunch break at Seaton Marshes waiting for a Swallow to go over. That was late too. No - it was early - I remember now, Steve saw it!

Hi all!

Just before work yesterday (half 12) managed a de-tour via a drake Tufted Duck at Lower Bruckland Ponds, also one Swallow here, performing very well over the ponds. In my lunch break, after fetching a few copies of the superb Axe Estuary and Seaton Bay Bird Report (which is just that - superb!) I sat at the farm gate, not much happening, 2 Green Sands on a small scrape on Colyford Marsh and it was nice to hear a Swallow singing.

Then to today, felt rubbish last night so stayed in my pit till gone 8, then went out for a little over an hour at 9. Had singing Williow Warblers at Seaton Marsh and below the farm gate, a surprise Wheatear on Seaton cricket pitch (my first here ever!!!!) and a Green Sand at Seaton Marsh. That's probably it for today, though I have an hours lunch later so I can twitch if needed guys....must be a Hoopoe about somewhere.....

Evening all, went up Beer Head this morning with phil, quite a a few warblers around we had 10 willow warblers, 6 chiffchaff, 2 wheatear a swallow, and 4 red legged partridge ( a beer head record i think!)....this afternoon i went to Beer Quarries for a look around saw- 5 stock dove, 2 willow warblers, 4 chiffs and 3 blackcaps, then tried seaton marshes 2 wheatear and blk tailed godwit the only birds of note, then i tried Beer Head again hoping for a redstart, didnt get one but did see 12 more wheatears and a few more willow/chiffs a peregrine and 4 buzzards up, but not a lot else.

Hi All, No Tufted Drake to be seen at Bruckland 12 o Clock. To many fishermen. 19 Canada Geese, Willow Warbler Singing. Also Farm Gate Willow Singing, Check the hedge opposite Garden Warblers breed there last year. Swallows flying around top Axmouth, Also saw 2 House Martins. Sand Martins at Bridge marsh. Happy Birding its now starting , last years total a Great achievement. We our looking forward to getting our eyes on our Estuary and seafront report.Will we better this in 07 hopeing so but please dont get carried away.Some of the birds seen last year were very rare on our Patch. As Sue and i always mention spread out, our Patch holds more great birds.

Well, if you were a land-locked accountant from Birmingham, thinking about airing the kids at the seaside, or a Hoopoe from southern France, thinking about quickening English birders' pulses, there could not be a nicer weekend to come to Seaton. I made the time for a walk over Beer Head early afternoon, and it was GLORIOUS! The tourists all stick to the clifftop path, so I could enjoy the rest of it in relative solitude. The honeyed scent of warm gorse was in the air. Fantastic! There were even some birds enjoying the sunshine with me. They too were in shorts and t-shirt - 9 Wheatears and 16 Willow Warblers (my first this year). The Redstarts are booked in tomorrow, apparently.

Not long after getting back home I had a call from Phil, informing me of the Red Kite heading over the town. I couldn't do much about it, though did at least trot up the road from my house to see if it was in view, but drew a blank. With a high pressure system with us for several more days yet I guess we can expect one or two more interesting raptors. I hope so.

In my continuing quest for a Swallow I spent 45 minutes at Seaton Marshes before going out this evening, bumping into Steve and Dave H. Dave mentioned that a very pale Iceland Gull had been on the beach between Branscombe and Weston this morning. A nice gathering of 15 Wheatears was present, but Swallows were not........

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back