• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backwater Birding - Seaton, Devon (2 Viewers)

I watch this thread regularly from the west of the county and congratulate on it. I plan a trip "eastward" soon but cannot locate Coronation Corner on any map. Could anyone help with its location? Thanks

Terry Smith said:
So, when is the Leach's going to be released? I, and I would assume, many others would be most grateful if the release date, time and location could be published on here so we may all be able to witness this tiny bird's hopefully successful release back into the wild!!
If we know, then certainly we will post, but I wouldn't be surprised if we hear no more about it! Mr. Chubb may well be the source of this information.

Willow said:
I watch this thread regularly from the west of the county and congratulate on it. I plan a trip "eastward" soon but cannot locate Coronation Corner on any map. Could anyone help with its location? Thanks
Hello Willow, Coronation Corner is the picnic site west of Axmouth. If you look on your map, you will see a road running parallel alongside the estuary linking Seaton with Axmouth, where the road turns (almost at a right-angle) away from the river, into Axmouth, that is Coronation Corner. Hope you enjoy your trip east, and please post on here with how you get on.

Gavin Haig said:
Well, the rough weather last night had well and truly blown itself out by this morning - but still provided me with a year tick! Spent 30 minutes seawatching, for 2 Gannets, 1 diver sp and 1 Razorbill - so, no year tick there.

Next stop was Seaton Marshes, where the monthly 'Meet the Birds' session, genially hosted by Ranger James, was just getting underway in the hide. As I arrived, James announced: "Storm Petrel this morning!". "Really?" I replied. "Where?" "In this box", said James. "Really?" I said again, cursing my limited vocabulary, and had a peek. Well, it was a Storm Petrel alright, but more specifically, it was a LEACH'S Storm Petrel! YES!! Now, I've explained before about my small and elusive listing scruples, so, as it was ALIVE, Leach's Petrel went straight onto my year list! That's 191 then! So where did it come from? Chris was the rescuer, and he lives about a mile inland, up by the old Seaton Heights Hotel. The bird was brought in (very carefully) by his cat this morning! Now I'm no cat apologist, but, whatever your views, there is no doubt in my mind that the cat saved the petrel's life. This bird was clearly wrecked by the storm, and would doubtless have wound up dead in the bottom of a hedge, but for the cat's quick thinking. As it is, the bird now has a chance of survival. Hopefully a spell at a rescue centre will see it sorted out - it's wings and tail were a little tatty, but apart from that it appeared pretty lively. Perhaps we'll be able to report back in due course.

Anyway, the local grapevine clanked into action, and soon the hide was bulging with local birders, all struggling with their listing consciences. A nice little social it was too, as James' coffee supply was gratefully consumed.

Other birdy stuff - nearly 300 Wigeon on the marsh, plus 15 Black-tailed Godwits, a Kingfisher performed nicely, along with a Common Sandpiper, and there was a distant and challenging 1st winter Med Gull on the river, up at Coronation Corner.

One or two in-the-hand photos of the petrel were taken - hopefully Steve may post one later if he's pleased with them. Incidentally, Steve and James McC arrived hot-foot from great views of the Beer Yellow-browed Warbler this morning.

All good stuff!
Dear GH,
I don't know if you're in contact with the RSPCA,but a release tonight would be a bad idea,as gales are due.Regards.

Serrator said:
Dear GH,
I don't know if you're in contact with the RSPCA,but a release tonight would be a bad idea,as gales are due.Regards.
Agree with you there! Thanks for that, Serrator, and for your note yesterday re amoxycillin - and welcome to BF! I wasn't involved in the 'taken into care' chapter at all. I think it was arranged through contacts of Ranger James and Fraser Rush. Anyway, James did say he hoped to keep us up to date on what happens to the Leach's, but whatever happens, I'm sure any decent rescue centre will know their onions, and wouldn't send a weary petrel off into a force 8.......

Bit of an odd morning. It's ju-u-ust possible I may have to eat some words, 'cos I'm sure I remember emphatically stating somewhere, only very recently, that you would not catch me going to see the Exe Falcated Duck as long as there was breath in my lungs, or some such. Well I didn't GO, exactly - I was TAKEN. I'm sure there is a fundamental difference, but I suspect some will see things otherwise. I innocently stepped out of the front door to do a little early morning birding, when suddenly Phil's car squeals up, I'm bundled in, driven off, hustled into a big nasty hide, and made to sit down and scope a sleeping blob. When I begin to sob, Phil relents and takes me home. So if you were in the BGM hide this morning and saw a blubbing wreck shuffle out the door around 08:00, you now know what was going on. Phil threatened the same treatment for the next Baikal Teal, Red Bishop and Budgie. Actually it wasn't all bad - the Falcated Duck had very attractive undertail coverts, and 3 Pintail (2 drakes) were jolly smart.

This afternoon I went to Beer Quarry and dipped the Yellow-browed Warbler, then to the Axe, where I saw one out of a possible 2 Med Gulls, a nice adult, and 17 Black-tailed Godwits whizzed around together, playing at being really hard to count. On the river for its second day, the Great Northern Diver (a juvenile) performed superbly, munching loads of small crabs, and filling the scope.

The wind was getting stronger and colder by the minute. Supposedly going to be a big blow tonight. Will it bring anything of interest for the early morning seawatchers? We shall see.........

Last edited:
HiAll,at last we made it to our axmouth patch,and its made our week. the trees at bindon barns were chacking with feild fare 400+ thats more like it,also 200+redwing stock doves still there.Loads of chaffinch,garden today 18 differant species,2goldcrests ,3 blackcaps 2 female, 1 male was great.good tip blackcaps love pears

I haven't had time for any birding today, but I saw another Merlin in Colyton this morning (Saturday) skimming along a couple of feet above Station Road! I had a quick look on the river for the GND this morning too, but didn't see it. Perhaps it will still be there tommorow/today (sunday) I can't see it going far in this wind! Except miles inland!!! Just been down the Yacht Club(12.30 am) to check the boat and some of the boats are starting to lift off the ground!! It's difficult to stand up on the beach white water 500 metres out at least!!!

Interesting to see what the morning brings?!

Gavin Haig said:
The wind was getting stronger and colder by the minute. Supposedly going to be a big blow tonight. Will it bring anything of interest for the early morning seawatchers? We shall see.........
Force 9 westerlies here, brought down a huge tree. Must be something around after that.

Leach's petrel update, and its not good news I'm afraid. I rang the centre yesterday to enquire as to the birds progress and I was informed that after being given fluids, the bird had not made it through the night. So no release to publicise I'm afraid.

Not really much of a posative spin to put on this news, so I will just sign off.

James

Have you guys seen birdguides, Leach's Petrels everywhere along the west and south coasts! I think if i were your way id have a little sea watch.

Gav, good job I did not stumble across you at BGM. I may be only 35 but it would not have done my ticker any good.

And for a Falcated too!

Firstly, happy half-century to the forum...common Gav, I'm sure we can get a philosophical look-back on what has to be one of the friendliest forums out there.
Second - managed 20 mins early after noon (hi Dave from Chard) - small feeding flock of BH & common Gulls, 2 what looked like big skuas chasing each other around in the distance....wings looked pretty angular and behaviour-wise, well not gonna dig myself a hole.

Hotspur said:
Have you guys seen birdguides, Leach's Petrels everywhere along the west and south coasts! I think if i were your way id have a little sea watch!
Thanks for that, I did my bit, a walk around the co-op carpark, co-op backyard, and a painstakingly thorough search of my front and back garden revealed not a single Leach's Petrel, which is a shame, maybe my new tactic won't be that succesful after all.

That's all I could manage, a virus has recently decided to attack my body, I got sent home from work at midday, so...if birding remains good all week, I might encourage it to stay with me!!!!

Steve, viruses aren't much fun, but I found one that was quite good for Ring Ouzels back in October!

Shame about the Leach's, but ta for letting us know, James. Spent a bit over an hour looking for another one first thing this morning, Hotspur, but not a great deal on the move - 15 Kitts, 1 Red-throated Diver, 7 Gannets, 3 Common Scoter, and the highlight - a Red-breasted Merganser. Not at all surprised at the Leach's reports on Birdguides this evening - it was a VERY rough night, and we didn't catch the brunt of it here. Perhaps one will be good enough to say hello tomorrow morning, before I go to work. Think the wind has got too much W in it now.......though I'll be happy to be wrong.

50 pages! Certainly wouldn't have predicted that back in Jan. Thought I might save a moment's deep and meaningful reflection for the end of the year, James. It may be worthwhile I guess, as our local birding scene has certainly evolved, and I'm sure this thread has played a part......

Simon - nice Blackcap. Looks like it has a ring? We've used impaled half-apples with similar results.

Andrew - it won't happen again. Promise. Sort of..........

Hi All,just a note to say theres a copse at the very top of steps lane when you get to the junction carry on theres a bend the copse is here on the left theres a phone box on the right.Its buzzing with birds,well worth a good look an also while there pop round to the bindon barns ,again well worth checking out. steve if your virus is like mine fresh air is the only cure BRILLIANT NEWS.

Gavin Haig said:
50 pages! Certainly wouldn't have predicted that back in Jan. Thought I might save a moment's deep and meaningful reflection for the end of the year, James. It may be worthwhile I guess, as our local birding scene has certainly evolved, and I'm sure this thread has played a part...

Gavin,

Yes, 50 pages - congrats to you and your team. You've got a great patch down there and your thread makes a great read. I look forward to more.
Cheers,
Colin (chuffed with local Leach's today!)

HiAll,river at low tide this morning usual birds loads lapwing ,9 oyster only saw 12 godwits all stood together 5 lower than gavs last count. 1 common sand ,4 common gull . Farm gate was great as usual ,our 3 egyptian in front of hide, scrape bird less shellduck numbers up ,now 78, large flock curlew 140 again widgeon count 0 they must be eating frazers barley on the scapes .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back