• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (55 Viewers)

Davej at Flashes this morning had 3 little egrets flying south. A 4th LRP chick hatched but only one other seen. Also 8 green sands ruff and Blackwit

Davej at Flashes this morning had 3 little egrets flying south. A 4th LRP chick hatched but only one other seen. Also 8 green sands ruff and Blackwit

Also 35 Avocet plus the 7 young still.

And at the Moors Pool he had 2+ Shoveler young on the North Moors, 6 young Common Tern, 5 young Gadwall and 9+ Tufted broods.

chilly atmosphere at East Hide this morning;);) With one shot;);)managed to get a pic of the otter before it submerged with its prey.
For JTB the usual little cam.
Phil E

Attachments

• IMG_1017a.jpg
    IMG_1017a.jpg
    956.6 KB · Views: 168
chilly atmosphere at East Hide this morning;);) With one shot;);)managed to get a pic of the otter before it submerged with its prey.
For JTB the usual little cam.
Phil E

Just as well that I was good enough to point it out to you then, no need to thank me but I would appreciate you keeping snide comments to yourself!

Moors today.

1. Moors car park security officer - always there! Chiffchaff.
2. Juvenile stock dove
3 & 4. Free aerobatics display from a Pitts Special (courtesy of Chateau Impney hill climb)

Attachments

• IMG_4099a.jpg
    IMG_4099a.jpg
    594.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4016a.jpg
    IMG_4016a.jpg
    913.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4035a.jpg
    IMG_4035a.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4038a.jpg
    IMG_4038a.jpg
    623 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
JTB reports from the Flashes:

Male Ruff, 2 Blackwits, 6 Green Sand, 13 LRP (including 3 juvs) + 1 young, 31 Avocet + 7 young, Common Sand

Birding at the reserve today

FLASHES:
The water level had risen very slightly, but was still at late August level. This might not be a bad thing for the LRP chick as most of the BHG's have moved away from the drying 'delta' where the chick is. But we will only be able to say it made a difference in 3 weeks time - fingers crossed. An obvious influx of LRP had taken place, most of these were gathered on the emergent muddy zone in the 'central/gulley' area (which is in front of the meadow). A small southerly movement of swifts and family of swallows.
species count:
teal 1, shelduck 8, mallard 80, tufted brood of 6,
Avocet 36 ads/juvs ( 27 spent a few hours at the Moors after being disturbed by sewage workers) + 7 chicks, Oystercatcher 3, lapwing 81 (No juvs), LRP 13 (3 juvs) + 5 day old chick, green sand 6, common sand 1, Black T godwit 2, Ruff.
Green woodp 3 (2 juvs), stock dove 15 ( several juvs), swift 35, swallow 4, cettis w, reed w 5, linnet 8, pied wags 2 juvs + ad.

MARBLED WHITE to right of hide on knapweed

NORTH MOORS:
Shoveler fem + 6 x20 day old chicks.

MOORS:
Sadly the brood of common tern on the large raft has reduced to a single chick. They should be flying now, like the neighbouring duo are. The remaining chick is undernourished and in the 2 hours I was watching, it never received a single fish. This is in stark contrast to the new brood that were receiving fish every 2 or 3 minutes. So we now have 5 chicks, two fledged and 2 pairs sitting. A pair of Oystercatchers are 'chickless' , so it could be that the breeding birds have all left and these are passage birds.
species count:
little grebe 9, GCG pr + juv, shoveler fem, tufted 8 pairs, lapwing ad + juv, Oystercatcher 2, common tern 12 + 5 juv/chicks. swift 40 going north ahead of the showers, cettis w 2, reed warbler 10+, sedge warbler 3 pairs west side,

Attachments

• blackwits DSCF9241.jpg
    blackwits DSCF9241.jpg
    718.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
FLASHES:
The water level had risen very slightly, but was still at late August level. This might not be a bad thing for the LRP chick as most of the BHG's have moved away from the drying 'delta' where the chick is. But we will only be able to say it made a difference in 3 weeks time - fingers crossed. An obvious influx of LRP had taken place, most of these were gathered on the emergent muddy zone in the 'central/gulley' area (which is in front of the meadow). A small southerly movement of swifts and family of swallows.
species count:
teal 1, shelduck 8, mallard 80, tufted brood of 6, Avocet 36 ads/juvs ( 27 spent a few hours at the Moors after being disturbed by sewage workers) + 7 chicks, Oystercatcher 3, lapwing 81 (No juvs), LRP 13 (3 juvs) + 5 day old chick, green sand 6, common sand 1, Black T godwit 2, Ruff.
Green woodp 3 (2 juvs), stock dove 15 ( several juvs), swift 35, swallow 4, cettis w, reed w 5, linnet 8, pied wags 2 juvs + ad.

The last time this number of LRP was exceeded was 12th July 2011 when 20 birds were present at the Flashes (including 4 fledged juveniles from successful breeding)

Just a few pics from the past week.
Terns were feeding their young exceedingly well, although being constantly hounded by the BH gulls.
Oystercatcher was back and forth with an endless supply of worms although at the end of the week I think the young one had fledged to sunnier climes.
There was a nice display of goldfinches in the thistles outside the far hide at the Moors pool on Monday (can't for the life of me remember the name of the hide-note to me, look at the name on the door!!!)
Nice helpful people there as usual.

Great Photo's

Today a small group of birders will be visiting the reserve. Not an organised group, but a group of friends that are meeting up. Jack one of the group phoned me to let me know. Should be no more than 10.

Male Ruff, 2 Black-tailed Godwit and Greenshank at the Flashes (Des Jennings and D Roberts via WorcesterBirding)

Des - is this still the same Ruff that you had on 1st? Might have to dig out the stats for the longest staying birds

Last edited:
Male Ruff, 2 Black-tailed Godwit and Greenshank at the Flashes (Des Jennings and D Roberts via WorcesterBirding)

Des - is this still the same Ruff that you had on 1st? Might have to dig out the stats for the longest staying birds

Same bird. A Ruff did overwinter in the 70/80's.

Des.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back