• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andy's field sketches (1 Viewer)

A distraction but a welcome one.

Hi everyone , Yes its me , appolgies for dropping off the radar yet again!

I've been given the task of assessing- rehabilitating a very nice Peregrine
female that got herself tangled in netting on the side of a building about four
weeks ago . Having worked with wild disabled peregrines before she was
handed to me put right if I can. She smashed up six of her primary feathers
on her right wing and three on her left and cut her patagial tendon on her
left wing. She's coming on nicely but won't be released this year and needs
a good moult befor its possible to go back. I also have to teach her to hunt!

Also had the chance to go to Skomer (see my blog for full story)
so attached are the sketches and some photos of the Peregrine.

Attachments

• skomer-sketches001.jpg
    skomer-sketches001.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 78
  • skomer-sketches002.jpg
    skomer-sketches002.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 75
  • skomer-sketches003.jpg
    skomer-sketches003.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 72
  • skomer-sketches004.jpg
    skomer-sketches004.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 81
  • skomer-sketches005.jpg
    skomer-sketches005.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 82
here are the rest of the photo's

Attachments

• skomer-sketches006.jpg
    skomer-sketches006.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 70
Fantastic puffin study sheets Andy, plenty of material to work up there. Sounds like a grand ol time on Skomer, shame you had to stay longer than intended!

Mike

:t:Thanks Mike , yes it was a real chore to wait for the next boat :) having to force
myself to watch the most spectacular gatherings of puffins in the u.k. all coming
into roost. One of the hardest things I've ever done:-O

Mouthwatering and jaw dropping, always!

I like that second photo of the young 'grine as well, shows off what I like so much about these falcons -- that lovely sculpted appearance of the head. Beauty bird.

Super account onj the blog Andy - glad to hear your puffins seem to be thriving. Superb fieldwork to-boot. All in all a wonderful day, brought to life expertly and entertainingly.

Superb work - these pages are just like a real colony - you don't know where to look first. Hope all goes will with the peregrine.

It really is beyond me how it is possible to make such stunning sketches in the field. And such a beautiful peregrine you've got in your hands, lucky you, getting to take care of her. :)

Elina

The peregrine has been officially named Megan by Maisie my 3 yr old daughter
Don't know where the inspiration was from but it really fits her well!

She's proving a little bit of a challenge to tame compaired to others I've
had but is getting much better.

Thanks for the comments on the blog and Photo's. Joe my son is pestering me
now to go and see the puffins so I'm wondering if we will get there in time before they leave . If not next year I suppose.

On the board at the mo is a Puffin painting which I'm struggleing with at the
moment it seems to lack something and I can't put my finger on what.
Alot of my pictures at the moment are for me lacking the wow factor that
I want to see in them. I'll post a photo if I get chance

a new puffin piece

Hi everyone here's the new Puffin painting that I've been stuggling with.
I think I've resolved the problems that I had with the painting although
wouldn't mind some opinions please. I'm worried the composition might
be a bit tame|=o|

Attachments

• Puffins-of-Skomer-Web.jpg
    Puffins-of-Skomer-Web.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 109
tame it ain't - stunning is the word - but if it's opinions you want here goes - perhaps the cliff behind could be knocked back a bit (simple wash of white so nothing too drastic) - on second thoughts, maybe just reced part of the cliff to give it some depth - you know what I mean, knock back one end and grade it into the other end.
I also wonder if the grasses in the foreground come to too much of a linear edge - it sorts of cuts the puffins and grass from each other and makes it harder for the eye to be led in. Of course, I won't be offended if you don't agree, meddling in others' paintings is what I do best when I'm itching to paint but waiting for glue to dry and falling asleep. As it is you've created something stunning, ah I miss seeing puffins!

tame it ain't - stunning is the word - but if it's opinions you want here goes - perhaps the cliff behind could be knocked back a bit (simple wash of white so nothing too drastic) - on second thoughts, maybe just reced part of the cliff to give it some depth - you know what I mean, knock back one end and grade it into the other end.
I also wonder if the grasses in the foreground come to too much of a linear edge - it sorts of cuts the puffins and grass from each other and makes it harder for the eye to be led in. Of course, I won't be offended if you don't agree, meddling in others' paintings is what I do best when I'm itching to paint but waiting for glue to dry and falling asleep. As it is you've created something stunning, ah I miss seeing puffins!

Thanks Nick, you have confirmed a few niggles I had, possibly spent too
long stareing at it! Sometimes you cant see the wood for the tree's:t:
well I will leave you to burn the midnight oil waiting for that glue!
I'll try and re post the changes I make tommorow.

There's a beautiful puffin painting there already, yet I like what Nick has to say. The flying bird has that 'where now?' expression beautifully captured and, with the head-upturned bird, creates a nice little storyline to the piece.
Definitely one for the folio! (a print I mean - the original will pay a few mortgage installments!).

Tame - No.

I like the 'on the edge' feel, it's almost as though the birds are jostling forwards and the one at the front is going to get pushed off before long.

If I had to make a comment I would say that the slightly overcast weather conditions could put some potential buyers off?

Whatever decisions you make about fine tuning I know they'll be the right ones and this latest will join the others in your outstanding collection.

Mike

Tame - No.

I like the 'on the edge' feel, it's almost as though the birds are jostling forwards and the one at the front is going to get pushed off before long.

If I had to make a comment I would say that the slightly overcast weather conditions could put some potential buyers off?

Whatever decisions you make about fine tuning I know they'll be the right ones and this latest will join the others in your outstanding collection.

Mike

Hi mike , thanks for points I did wonder about the sky but decided to stay
true to the weather of the day we visited which was overcast and a
bit breezy, Hence the grasses blowing around in the for ground.

I'm amazed no one has picked up on the slightly slapstick cues towards
the Puffins likeness too clowns . With one of the forground birds
pictorially slapping one behind in the face

I also wanted the bird flying in to have a slightly uncontroled acrobatic feel
to him which Tim eluded to . The composition was ment to have that unstable
feel which you mention , with the birds jostling for space by the edge of the cliff.

I made some changes today and will post tomorow.

Last edited:
Here is the final version. I've added a few new grasses and made some depressions
in the amongst the stalks to break up the block of grass and also brought some over
the puffins towards the left. I 've also put a wash over the background rock and this
has made a big difference.

Thanks guy's for your input.

Attachments

• Puffins-of-skomer-web (2).jpg
    Puffins-of-skomer-web (2).jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 87
Yes, Andrew - it's those little touches that make all the difference. The flying bird now has less physical land connecting him and tying him down - the sense of buoyancy is much more apparent. It is a wonderful painting, full of character and atmosphere. Who could ask for any more?

Wonderful!

By the way, the humour in the painting did make me smile (I had the flapping bird trying to steal the limelight by blocking out the ones behind. The one peeping over the rock, bottom right, is a character also). I didn't give you credit for having done it this way on purpose, so my hat is off to you!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back