• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to see Leach's Petrel (4 Viewers)

I've not seen the forecast - but the usual rules apply - 3 days of >7 westerlies and there is hope!

Leach's are still moving in Oct, though its past the peak period

If Magic Seaweed is right - there is hope for the end of the week!

I've seen 86 in the 1st half of Oct, compared to 1144 in the second half of Sept (from home)

its probably been windy enough to bring petrels in close - currently W7 gusting 9 here and will be so for a bit

Gale force 8 veering westerly imminent, increasing severe gale force 9 later

I'll have a look as soon as three is enough light and visibility (heavy showers too) but I'd expect there to be petrels by this evening and tomorrow am. The problem is a lack of tides.

Already a few Petrels in the usual locations.3 LT Skua-ad, juv int and juv pale, Pomarine (juv) and plentyof other skuas early. Juv SAbs and Grey Phal too. Balearic SHear in the MErsey. Its looking good!

Just got back after 3 hours. Highlight by far was the Balearic, which lingered in the river mouth for over an hour, often sat on the water at 100m range.Last seen at 10.15 when it drifted up river.Pale juv Long-taled Skua out of the river at 9.35 and juv Sabine`s into the river at 9.50. Only 4 Leach`s seen, continuing the rather poor autumn for them.Also 5 Manx, 2 Gannets and 4 Arctic Skuas, several Skua sp. also seen distantly on horizon.Will check again later for the evening tide.

Currently steady W8, gusting 10!

I'm prepared to guarantee Petrels tomorrow - 1st light at New Brightonhas to be promising if it really does go NW, otherwise the falling tide in the morning at the gunsite.

This morning the beach had large numbers of skuas on it at first light. Hoping for the same again tomorrow.

There will be petrels again in the morning -the tide is 9.15 and not very big, so the gunsite would be my recommendation. There are three Long-tailed Skuas hanging about

Irish Sea
Shipping Forecast - Issued: 1625 UTC Fri 07 Oct

Wind Northwest backing southwest 5 to 7, decreasing 4 for a time.
Sea State Moderate.
Weather Showers then rain.
Visibility Good becoming moderate or poor.

Hi Jane,

Are you able to make a prediction for sunday at this stage as I will be up in the area and would like to drop in. I see that the wind isnt quite NW but am not sure what implications this has for location and chances etc. It would be my first time birding on the Wirral. Many thanks,

Pete

I'm sure there will be something left - if the wind strays round to the south of west, I'd recommend the Lancs coast. The more west it is,the happier I am at Hoylake.

One every 30 minutes past Wallasey Coastguard this afternoon until about 17:00 when they dried up. Also a cracking Storm Petrel and even better, a super pale phase adult Long-tailed Skua that flew out of the river then settled and floated back past New Brighton late afternoon.

2 birds, or the same one twice struggling south at Heysham this afternoon. It was hard to follow, the wind was blowing me about as much as the petrel.

At least three Leach`s at the Mersey mouth this morning, surprising given the direction of the wind, SW although still c30mph. A superb pale juvenile Long-tailed Skua was also present for most of the morning before flying across towards the Wirral.A very pale headed bird.

The visibility or lack of it was my downfall - heathaze being the problem... I was struggling with Gannets at my normal range!

That skua is a stunner isn't it!

8 Leach's this morning, 20+ small skuas (one decent lts candidate) velvet scoter, puffin and juv Sbines Gull. Visibility currently pants!

Still odd Leach's passing, and a notable run of Kittiwakes. I can't see the sea muchof the time just now. The Sabine's Gull was also seen at Hilbre - or perhaps before mine - since mine appeared on the water in the front of me and went out into the mizzle.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back