• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to see Leach's Petrel (2 Viewers)

It started blowing about midnight, but SW. However its just shy of 50mph now and West. (which is my favourite direction). I'd say tomorrow was pretty much nailed on. If it stays West, Leasowe Gunsite will be the winner, as long as there is enough water in, otherwise, yes New Brighton.

Gale force 8 now veered westerly
Shipping Forecast - Issued: 0405 UTC Fri 14 Sep

Wind West veering northwest for a time, 5 to 7 occasionally gale 8, decreasing 3 or 4 later.

Last edited:
I'm off on the ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare and back. Usually a good bet for some seabirds and cetaceans.

Unfortunately I'm leaving this morning at 3am arriving at 6am and leaving tomorrow at 9pm back at midnight.

In and out to Enniscorthy for a funeral.

I'll have a seawatch of Cemaes on Sunday hopefully a bird or two then.

Want to borrow some night optics? Sorry to hear about the funeral

One has made it to Pennington Flash, Greater Manchester today!

I managed to see the bird on Pennington Flash just before it left last night. It was my second for the flash, meaning that I've now seen more Leach's Petrels at Pennington Flash than I have at Leasowe! Just one of those things, I don't really go to Leasowe for petrels and when I do I'm usually unlucky. I tend to head for Hilbre, New Brighton or Crosby.

Adult Sabines Gull flew out of the Mersey first thing.Then nothing for about an hour until surprisingly a European Storm-Petrel flew into the river.These are much scarcer than Leach`s here in the Autumn( mainly appearing in July gales), perhaps to a ratio with Leachs of 300 to 1.No sign of any Leach`s.

Anyone know where the report of 2 Leach's past Leasowe gunsite over high tide yesterday came from? Because I was at Leasowe gunsite over high tide and there were no other birders there. And I didn't see any Leach's. Only an early Manx, Bonxie and Arctic Skua hanging around battering distant gulls.

Its a mid morning tide, going out now Rob.

Sorry Tom, No idea. 68 Arctic Skuas so far here, just 2 Leach's and two lingering Long-tails

I'd try New Brighton later on - water there all day - either on the river or go around the Fort and check across the rivermouth. - but others will perhaps suggest better options.

Another two hours on the ebbing tide was hard work with just one Leach`s seen.However things brightened considerably when a male Velvet Scoter flew along the tideline and headed towards the Wirral.No Skuas visible from this side of the river.

water a 3 miles out at Hoylake - its W which doesn't favour New Brighton - I'd go as far west as you can where there is still water... Maybe Wallasey coastguards.

The big stuff is all cutting the corner. Here are my 8-12 totals
217 Gannet
166 Sandwich Tern
108 Kittiwake
68 A.Skua
44 Manx Shearwater
11 Scoter
8 Common Tern
6 Bonxie
4 Guillemot
3 LBBG
3 rtd
2 Wigeon
2 leach's
2 a tern
2 Pintail
2 LTSkua
1 Fulmar

Ad Sabs at the Gunsite and LTS at Dovepoint

Started at Fort Perch 8-10am only a few Manxies, Common Scoters and a Razorbill. Then went to Leasowe 10-11am very poor here just 1 Bonxie and a few Manxies. So headed to the lifeboat station at Hoylake 11-2pm and what a vast improvement? 1 Sabines Gull & a prob, 1 prob Grey Phal, 10+Bonxies, 8+Arctic Skuas, 2 RT Divers & 7 Common Scoter.

Cheers
Jason

Sorry to add to the deluge of questions:

I live in Leeds, lack private transport and am a Cheshire birding virgin. Am thinking of getting the train to New Brighton tomorrow, arriving probably around 10.30. Would this be a sensible course of action? I figured I could stroll round towards Wallasey if I fancied a change of scene...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back