• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Canon 12x36 is lll & 10x30 is ll (1 Viewer)

. Dear Kimmo,
There was a PDF file, which I clicked, then it took time to load. From memory it was eight pages. On some of the pages they were these diagrams.
I will have another go now to see if I can repeat this.

. Kimmo,
. It wasn't easy to duplicate, but if you go to post 54 and then click on the Canon Japan link and and then I hope you can find where it says in English PDF with an open book marker.
Then I waited a bit and I got eight pages of which may be pages 3,4 and 5 contains the diagrams.
I will try again to see if I have missed a step in these instructions.

. Yes, you go to post 54, click on the Canon Japan link, then go to the bottom of the page. Then you open the PDF file with the book marker. Then you click on where it says 2.3 M. Then pages 5 and 6 contain the diagrams.

I hope that works for you.

Ok, I found the document. I assume you mean those septagons with five levels for each corner. I don't know any Japanese, but would venture a guess that each corner represents a use or a characteristic such as "astronomy", "travel", "sport," "rough weather" etc to quickly assess suitability and general quality level of a given model. It is possible that one of these corners represents stabilization effectiveness, but I really don't know. It is too bad that Canon has these more informative brochures apparently only available in Japanese. It would be nice to be able to understand the graph about the coatings, for example.

The cutouts of the lens systems are good, though.

Kimmo

. Dear Kimmo,
I think that the lens coating curves maybe fairly simple.
From 400 nm to 700 nm on the bottom.
The 4% probably applies to an uncoated typical glass surface.
The bottom curve probably is Canon's multicoated spectra percentages.
However, the middle one might be for a single coated glass surface, although 2% seems high as I thought 1% was typical for a single coated surface.

Perhaps somebody knows someone who is fluent in Japanese to tell us what the various diagrams mean.

I hope that the new versions improve a major issue that occured with both of my canon binoculars: rubber coating "stickiness" it got very uncomfortable and it was even staining clothing, etc. in one set (the smaller 8x ones) I tried to remove with chemicals and blade, it looks like crap but is no longer sticky. The big ones (18x) I just use corn starch to eliminate the stickiness. The optics are pristine, the IS is indispensable for me. I would like them to be waterproof (I believe the 18x are weatherproof), better outer material, better battery life, smaller, much improved minimum focus (just look at the vortex brand minimum focus).
best regards from Honduras !!

Thanks for posting the link to your review, Pier. It appears there's been an incremental improvement but nothing major. I expected ED glass would be added since CA has been the chief complaint with the 10x and 12x IS. I had the 10x30 and Jupiter was a mess, like I was looking through a prism. I A/Bed Jupiter with the EO 10x50 Voyager ED I had at the time, and Jupiter was a nice, clear round orb with no CA halo in the 10x50.

As far as the better IS stability, I wonder if that's an improvement or sample variation? I tried two 10x30 IS bins, and one had better stability than the other.

I wouldn't expect Canon to add its high grade "L" glass to these models, but even some entry level 8x roofs have ED glass these days, and 10x and 12x bins could benefit even more from it. Maybe the 10x30 IS III and 12x36 IS IV?

Brock

Last edited:
I would like to propose the following hypothesis.

As Canon updates the software and operation of the image stabilised binoculars, for instance, the 10×42 L seems to have a cut-off function when the binocular is held vertically, the following may occur.
The more sophisticated the software and the electronics, the more sensitive the binocular becomes.

In addition, Canon claims several times to have reduced the power consumption to increase the battery and operational life before having to replace batteries.

This increased sensitivity may be causing the apparent malfunctions.

I don't think that early Canon image stabilised binoculars necessarily had to be stored horizontally, but this may be beneficial nowadays.

In other fields, it seems to me that progress sometimes actually means things get worse unless you are fully aware of how to apply the increased sophistication.

I have little understanding of computers, but I like the Canon image stabilised binocular because it does not require a knowledge of digital technology to use the binocular successfully.
I can also work most cameras, as I have learned to handle them through trial and error, and I don't use any sophisticated functions.

I've seen the results of being able to talk to cars to get them to supposedly do various things. But actually what seems to happen is often a meltdown. Again, increased sophistication actually means going backwards.
I suppose most people seem to embrace new technology at an ever-increasing pace.
When I look at people today in the sunshine, about 80% of them are glued to their digital devices, instead of just enjoying the weather and nature.

Canon says these new models do have 'ED' glass; although they use more correct terminology.

"The binoculars are also manufactured with Ultra-low Dispersion (UD) lenses that further reduce image blurring and bleeding in scenes with bright light sources."

Canon says these new models do have 'ED' glass; although they use more correct terminology.

"The binoculars are also manufactured with Ultra-low Dispersion (UD) lenses that further reduce image blurring and bleeding in scenes with bright light sources."

Correction:

UPDATE: It looks like that one release I read was wrong, trying to track it down again I believe it was from Canon Japan. I checked Hong Kong and UK and they don't mention any UD glass in the the new 12x36 III. So far I only see it mentioned in the Singapore news release that I originally viewed: SINGAPORE, 20 May 2015. I don't really see any other sites mentioning any optical changes for the mk III, not even coatings.

View Google Translate, this is what Canon Japan says about the Optics. Unlike the new electronics it does not mention anything about the optics being new for this release.

Realization of a clear view by excellent optical technology
The optical technology of EF lenses also applied to binoculars, we have to achieve high resolution. In addition it uses a field flattener lens to suppress the field curvature in the field of view periphery, by optimal lens placement, and has realized the clear view over the entire field of view.
[/QUOTE]

Price dropping on 10x30IS II's

Argos online is now stocking the 10x model at £399.99 probably the best price in a "proper", UK retailer with a Canon 2 year warranty.

Diopter compensation range

I do not know if anybody at Canon reads these posts but I'll take my chance: the current diopter compensation range of +/-3 puts off quite a few users; make it +/-4 as for many other good bins brands!

When I look at people today in the sunshine, about 80% of them are glued to their digital devices, instead of just enjoying the weather and nature.

How true. I do the same for hours indoors but never outdoors.
I think that these updates come at a higher cost than they deserve. They could add helical eyecaps, how difficult is that?
I see no need to update my 12x36 and 18x50 but I wonder if they'll update the 10x42 before I add one into my optics arsenal.

Improved IS graph

I found this graph representing improved IS in the 12x36 model so presumably there is a similar improvement in the 10x30 model.

Attachments

• canon-10x30isii_01.gif
    canon-10x30isii_01.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 2,737
Thanks for this, Dipped. This kind of info has been sorely lacking thus far, or at least I've not managed to see it.

On the vertical axis seems to be residual shake in percentages of unstablized shake, and on the horizontal axis is tremor frequency in Hz (cycles per second). If this graph is correct, the improvement is quite significant.

Kimmo

The 2014 8x25 has considerably better actual IS performance than the 2008? version, but uses a different system, which may be size limited.

Do the 10x30 Mk II and 12x36 Mk III have a stay down locking button? If not, I wish they did.
I suspect that if not, it may be to extend IS working life.

Thanks for this, Dipped. This kind of info has been sorely lacking thus far, or at least I've not managed to see it.

On the vertical axis seems to be residual shake in percentages of unstablized shake, and on the horizontal axis is tremor frequency in Hz (cycles per second). If this graph is correct, the improvement is quite significant.

Kimmo

You're welcome and thank you for explaining the axis on the graph as it wasn't really clear to me what they were. The graph was from the Kyoei-Osaka site in Japan.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back