• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (2 Viewers)

OK. Time to start again.

Moved house today (partly) & spent an hour at the new place:

Starling
Blackbird
Crow
Jackdaw
Wood Pigeon
Collared Dove
Buzzard
House Sparrow
House Martin
Swift
Blue Tit.
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Rook
Linnet
LBBG Gull
Black-headed Gull

Three there that I need already!......:-C

Three, Ken?

I think Linnet was new for me this year.

Back for more shortly.

House Martin, Rook and Linnet....I've only ever had the latter twice as flyovers, both calling in 34 years!

Having had a rethink, and feeling charitable H...I can't really see anything wrong with you combining the two lists, It should help to keep me on my toes. ;)

.I can't really see anything wrong with you combining the two lists...

Far more interesting though to start a new one, reckon the final total is not likely to suffer very much as all the winter stuff will be available in the second period and spring stuff is still going through.

Far more interesting though to start a new one, reckon the final total is not likely to suffer very much as all the winter stuff will be available in the second period and spring stuff is still going through.

Agreed....and he could run the two in tandem?

Added today :

Goldcrest
Wren
Greenfinch
Magpie
Pheasant
Pied Wagtail
Tawny Owl

Been rather busy to do much birding today - started at 5 am & have just sat down.

Last edited:
Had a "prolonged" skywatch from the house yesterday, trying to glean House Martin "dots" on high amongst the Swifts, but no luck I'm afraid. However within three hours I'd had my 2nd,3rd and 4th Red Kite of the year...unprecedented (albeit I suspected that one at least was a repeat). Late afternoon I took the bike out just a few hundred metres away from my abode, and saw 2 Red Kite together!...clearly a bit of "an upsurge" for the locale.

Little by little birds are coming here to the freezing north. (Spring is about 2 weeks later than usually.) And I have been lazy to update my sightings here.

May 7th:
#37. Redstart
#38. Curlew
- Really rare sighting from my garden. Not even every year.

May 11:
#39. Barnacle Goose - Arktika has started. Several flocks now gone over every day.

May 12:
#40. Oystercatcher

May 13:
#41. Wood Sandpiper - Totally new species from my garden. And if it had fly over silently - I would have been missed it.

Little by little birds are coming here to the freezing north. (Spring is about 2 weeks later than usually.) And I have been lazy to update my sightings here.

May 7th:
#37. Redstart
#38. Curlew
- Really rare sighting from my garden. Not even every year.

May 11:
#39. Barnacle Goose - Arktika has started. Several flocks now gone over every day.

May 12:
#40. Oystercatcher

May 13:
#41. Wood Sandpiper - Totally new species from my garden. And if it had fly over silently - I would have been missed it.

An impressive list of additions Wari!....particularly the Wood Sandpiper. :eek!:

Yes, I was very thrilled for WS. o:)

Yesterday evening:

#42. Pied Flycatcher - Male checked one birdhouse. Few hours later I saw the lady also.

We're looking forward to seeing those Finnish Pied Flycatchers (amongst other goodies) on our Helsinki 'mini-break' in the next few days, we only seem to see them in autumn hereabouts. Saw my first Honey Buzzard of the year nearby this morning, and I can hear two new species for the 2017 Garden list this afternoon:

63 Red-backed Shrike
64 Tree Pipit

Last edited:
Two more in the rain this morning :

Blackcap & Whitethroat

The latter not one I'd expect - but there's a nice bit of habitat not far away which might mean more to come from that direction. Jay & Great spot a two minute walk away - and suspect Tree Sparrow & Yellowhammer heard - watch this space!

Not quite twitching material but a 1st for home this afternoon - and of particular interest to any UK birders down here ;) - There was a sudden rush of excited House Martins from the colony just by me - going into hyper alarm call - I thought raptor?!!! - I looked up and on a neighbour's TV ariel was perched (wait for it) a Common Magpie - wow!

Actually they are not rare in eastern Algarve - but are there aren't dozens of records in the western end where I am so quite a good home tick. The bird flew north, chased by House Martins and a couple of AZ (Iberian) Magpies (abundant here) - I wonder what one of these was doing travelling around in mid May?

66. Common Magpie

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back