• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A New Binocular Brand is Launched (1 Viewer)

Meanwhile back in the land of optics......

Just learned that one of the leading members of the managment team of GPO Germany (which is a separate company from GPO, USA) is ex Meopta. So they are certainly not without the right experience.

Lee

Meanwhile back in the land of optics......

Just learned that one of the leading members of the managment team of GPO Germany (which is a separate company from GPO, USA) is ex Meopta. So they are certainly not without the right experience.

Lee
Anyone I know?

David

Not a name I know. I thought I knew who was responsible for product development. Do you know which products?

David

Got some pics of the ED models:

The one with tan sides is (I think) 42mm and the ones with brown or black sides are 32mm.

Lee

Attachments

• IMG 1344A.jpg
    IMG 1344A.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1343.jpg
    IMG_1343.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 88
They look like Maven B1s and B3s to me...

Is this not more of the SAME? It sure comes across that way to me.

There is a similar look about them isn't there but while the 42 and 45mm Mavens have magnesium bodies, the 30 and 56 mm models are polymer. Both the ED and HD GPOs of all sizes have magnesium bodies and also aluminium eyecup tubes. What material does Maven use for the eyecups?

Had a quick look at the specs of the Maven 30mm versus the GPO 32mm and there are some differences as well as the larger objective of the GPO and a significant price difference:

GPO ED 32mm $360 CF 6.6ft ER 16mm FOV 410ft Magnesium body

MAVEN B3 30mm $500 CF 8.2ft ER 15.1mm FOV 430ft Polymer body

Lee

Last edited:
Just heard from GPO, USA that they will have HDs in stock from around 1st March and EDs arriving one month later.

Lee

Pics of GPO HD Bins

Got some pics of the Passion HD bins. Quite a handsome classic design I think.

On the second unit we can see the focuser has been pulled up to reveal the dioptre scale and also that a tripod adapter (not supplied) can be fitted via the threaded port on the end of the hinge.

Lee

Attachments

• IMG_2003.jpg
    IMG_2003.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2020.jpg
    IMG_2020.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2036.JPG
    IMG_2036.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Some of this rebranding [to me] harkens back to the 50's and 60's, when Japanese made optics had Germanic-sounding names like ''Carl Voight'' etc.- despite being entirely Asian.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back