• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotland Mini-Vacations 2017 (1 Viewer)

Some odds and sods including the A9 on the journey home.

Attachments

• IMG_0791.JPG
    IMG_0791.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0789.JPG
    IMG_0789.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0790.JPG
    IMG_0790.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 91
Day 4

Our final day and up early again. Another beautiful walk around Abernethy but again, no Caper. From here we headed back for breakfast and cooked up the haggis, black/ white pudding, bacon etc. and had a good feed.

Next it was up to Cairngorm. No Black Grouse from the watch Point but we managed one a little further up. Paul had some fun doing donuts in the car park :-O

We decided to head up to Cairngorm but held out little hope. Sure enough visibility was very poor and we couldn't locate any Ptarmigan. It was time to head back down. Feeders have been put up again in the corner of Loch Garten car park and, after 10 minutes or so, we were rewarded with great views of Crested Tits.

Attachments

• IMG_0792.JPG
    IMG_0792.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 87
Was that the top of Drumochter Rich?

The other two look a bit like Applecross?

Was that the top of Drumochter Rich?

The other two look a bit like Applecross?
Not sure where on the A9 D. Was too busy concentrating on the road:eek!::-O

You're right. The road stretching in to the distance is the coastal road from Applecross going round to Shieldaig and the second is Shieldaig itself. Just about my favourite location in Scotland but, like my favourite bird, is subject to changeo:D

Rich

Guess it must have been up there somewhere, as we didn't really get that much in the way of snow down here.

Ah of course Sheildaig - love it there too. A beautiful place with a scary road LOL

Gosh it's years sine I've been there.

This was what it was like a couple of hours later when Paul cam through in his Porker:eek!:

Attachments

• IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 54
It was beginning to snow now so we had a major decision to make. Head back to the cottage for a few beers and red wine before tomorrow's long drive. Or head to Inverness for the American Wigeon. Now this would be a lifer for both of us so it was a pretty easy decision to make in the end ...

Stroll on May when I'll be back up with the OH for the second mini-vacation. Happy birding all. :t:

Attachments

• IMG_0793.JPG
    IMG_0793.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 76
Well I've just booked the flights for the beginning of May for the second part of this report. Initially we're thinking of booking somewhere in the Achilitibuie area for a couple of nights with a night back in Speyside. If this is the case we'll head to Handa for the day and up to Cairngorm whilst in Speyside. Initially I thought of going over to the Outer Hebs as a foot passenger for the day but thought the OH, who is not a birder, would be massively boredo:D

Rich

Well we've booked accommodation in Aultbea, Ullapool and Grantown. Dotterel, Ptarmigan and Caper will all be on my dip list no doubt. I'll give the Loch Garten watch a go though but it doesn't look too good according to the thread on recent sightings there.

Rich

Arrived yesterday morning to stunning weather. Everything smooth with EasyJet from Bristol. First bird on arrival was a Skylark singing away.

Hire car collection however was a shambles. First time I've used Budget at Inverness Airport and I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt but first impressions were not good. The desk staff did their best but they had to wait for cars to be available. I felt sorry for the people behind as they had even longer to wait. They had the flight number so surely it can't have been a shock that people had a arrived to collect a car!!. They then unintentionally shafted me further by giving us a white Toyota Auris estate. The Mogadon of the car world.

Felt much better after a bacon and haggis roll at Dervaig. And better still after driving to Aultbea in glorious sunshine. Picked up Greenshank, Common Sandpiper, Willow Warblers, Cuckoo etc. On the drive over.

Staying here:

http://www.aultbeahotel.co.uk

Lovely place. Great food. Superb location. And friendly staff. Will add more later as I need to get down for breakfast and head off to Handa.

Rich

Last edited:
Breakfast was great. Had a walk around the bay before breakfast. The local football pitch was chocca with Wheatear, Mipits, Ringed Plovers, Lapwings, Dunlin and a Summer plumaged Black Tailed Godwit. Twite were in the bushes by the small holdings.

Forgot to mention that Sars and I had a walk around the bay before lunch last night. Similar species to this morning with the addition of an immaculate pair of summer plumaged Black Throated Divers just off the harbour wall; Common Snipe, Cuckoo, Red Throated Diver, GND, Willow Warblers (everywhere) and Tysties.

Getting back after a further walk (and pint) and an Otter was feeding in the Loch in front of the Hotel.

I'd recommend this place to anyone staying in the area.

Rich

So today it was off to Handa. The car remains an issue:-O Its gutless and wallows in the corners like a bariatric hippo that's just been for an all you can eat curry. It's fair to say I don't like it.

Picked up Eves on the way to Ullapool. He was following a path around the area and failed to find his Bothy. As a result, he ended up sleeping the night in the woods, and was trying to make up some lost time by hitchhiking. Hopefully the rest of the hike goes better:t:

From Ullapool it was up to Handa. Picked up Kestrel and Common Buzzard on the way. Cuckoo also heard. At Handa we had to wait 30 mins or so for the boat but it really isn't an issue in such a decent place. Sat and scanned the bay and picked out Shag, Rock Dove (about as pure as they get I'd guess), Eider, Tystie, Common Sandpipers, Oycs, GBBG's, RTD and Rock Pipits.

The boat trip over cost us £12.50 each which is great value in my book.

On arriving, a Peregrine drifted over the information hut. At the top of the hill a pair of Arctic Skuas flew over. Bonxies were pretty much everywhere as to be expected. The loop around gave the usual Stonechats, Ravens, RTD, Eider, Fulmars, Guillemots, Razorbills, Skylarks, Wheatears, Mipits etc. At the Stack a family pointed me in the direction of where they had seen the Puffins so big thanks for that. Unfortunately they remained resolutely in their burrows. Fortunate another turned up off the stack and gave good views. This is a great place for birding and I always enjoy. Can't stand going anywhere near the edge though:eek!:

Coming back we had a meal in The Shorehouse - superb as always. I can now recommend the seafood platter as well as the prawn salad :eat:

Have now settled in in the B&B on Loch Broom with a glass of wine and watching Shaun of the Dead A cracking day despite the sun burn.... and car:-O

Rich

Last edited:
If you want puffins, Lunga is the place. They come within feet of you. Brilliant. I fully intend to do Handa in July when I go up to Unapool for family holiday with OH. Having done it once before it really should not be missed whenever in the region.

Good luck with the Capers Rich. At least the snow has disappeared. Would have been interesting to see you attempting the mountain road in your hire car (I think I would have cried if they had given me one of those!!). We couldn't get up there last week in the Jag so you would have been truly stuffed. At least it gave us an excuse for not seeing anything! At least the scenery knocks your socks off even if the birds are MIA. Still has to be one of the best places for a (birding - but don't tell the OH) holiday in UK.

Good luck and good birding.

Cheers Paul. I agree with you about Handa. Stunning place to visit. Here's the offending vehicle by the way:

Attachments

• IMG_184.jpg
    IMG_184.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 43
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back