• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Observations on the GPO Passion ED 8X42 (2 Viewers)

BruceH

German Precision Optics (GPO) is one of the new kids on the block and has nine different binoculars in their line up. There is the HD line with five models which I think of as the approximately $1,000 sub alpha class and then their is the ED line which I consider the $350 entry class for roofs. I consider anything with a retail price between $200 and $499 in this class because of all the promotions, sales and other pricing fluctations in this range.

The GPO Passion ED 8X42, selling for a suggested price of $379.99, caught my eye immediately because of the 426 ft. at 1,000 yards (142 m/1,000 m) field of view (FOV). Most of the popular models in this class state a FOV of around 380 ft. The 426 ft. stood out so I wanted to see if GPO was able to produce a nice binocular in this price class that had a FOV noticeably greater than the current leading models in the same general price range.

http://gpo-usa.com/products/experiences/hunting/5/passion-8x42ed?c=42

The models were announced earlier this year but the ED line just started to hit the market recently. Optics Planet showed one 8X42 in inventory so I ordered it with a coupon code and it arrived yesterday. It was a preorder that was not picked up. The box contained the binocular, a hard case, a case strap, a binocular neck strap, eye piece rain guard, a cleaning cloth and a multi language instruction booklet. According to the GPO USA web site, there also should have been objective covers, a thank you card and a GPO sticker but those items were missing. It could have been a packing error but since this was most likely the first unit of this model to arrive at the seller, they may have took a look at it and failed to rebox everything. I will be contacting GPO about obtaining the missing items.

I have spent some time with it yesterday afternoon and this morning. My initial over all impression is that it is a very good binocular. However, binoculars in that price range are not perfect, but that is also true for the top tier models.

Below are some of my initial observartions and impressions of the model. I consider the approximately $350 class the entry point for roof models. Many of the roof models that I have seen below $200 (excluding sales) in 42 mm had to many oddities to be considered for regular serious use. However some of the models over $200 do provide a very satisfying and functional view and they are something I could use all day and be a happy birder. A couple of examples are the Zeiss Terra and the Vanguard Endeavor ED II. It just so happens I have both in the 8X42 and did some comparisons with them and the GPO. Most of the following comments are about the GPO but I will comment on the Terra and Endeavor at times. The Terra is the prior model but it is the same optically as the new armored model introduced earlier this year.

Big Plus Items - FOV, Color Balance, Styling and Solid Build

The large 426 ft. FOV is there and it is noticeable. I did not get that initial looking through a tube impression that I get with the Terra (375 ft.) and the Endeavor (377 ft.), so that is a big plus for this price range. The other big plus is the color balance which is as close to neutral as anything I have seen in this class. Very nice. It may be ever so slightly on the warm side, but the change is slight. I am having a hard time telling exactly where it leans. Other positives are the nice styling and the solid build. The body is magnesium. I did find a very small label inside the hinge that says China so I assume that is where it is made.

Armoring and Feel

The armoring on it is thin and it ends up flush with the ends of the objective tubes so it may not be as well protected if dropped compared to other models. The up side is it has a nice slim fit in the hands and helps to keep the weight down. I really like the feel of it. The binocular is on the small side for a 42 mm and has a nice balance. The balance of the Terra is similar but the Terra feels larger probably due to the thicker armor. Both have a nicer feel and balance compared to the Endeavor which is much more front heavy. The GPO web site says it weighs 23.6 oz. but it felt heavier than that to me when I first picked it up. My postal scale says it weighs 26.0 oz. without strap or covers.

Focus & Diopter

Focus rotation from close to infinity is counter clockwise which is also true for the Endeavor. The Terra is clockwise and that seems to be the more popular direction of travel. The focus is very smooth and consistent for the full rotation of travel. There is a small amount of free play when switching directions (see photos). There is somewhat of a dampening feel in the free play range so it does not cause me significant problems. Hopefully the free play will not increase with use. It has remained constant so far. There is very little free play in the Terra and Endeavor. There is some resistance but it is no problem focusing with one finger. Subjectively, it is slightly on the stiff side which is where I like it.

Focus knob rotation from close focus to infinity is just under 1 1/2 turns. There is approximate 1/4 turn remaining past infinity. My ideal would be about 1 1/4 turns from close to infinity so this is slightly slower, but I prefer that to a fast focus. The Endeavor is the fastest of the bunch with a little less than 3/4 of a turn from close to infinity and the Terra is 3/4 of a turn. Both are much faster than I like since most of my viewing is closer to infinity and such a fast focus makes for touchy adjustments at that range. If I lived in Ohio warbler county I would be chirping a different tune and would go for the faster focus. The Endeavor has about 1/8 of a turn remaining past infinity and the the Terra has about 1/4 of a turn similar to the GPO.

I got a close focus distance of approximate 5 feet, 2 inch as compared to 6 feet, 6 inches listed on the web page. I have noticed a large variation with this spec is many models.

The diopter ring does not have a locking position but it is firm enough so it will not easily slip but it is still loose enough so it is easy to make any adjustments. The calibration marks come out close to where they should be for my vision.

The IPD (Inter Pupillary Distance) measured approximately 55 mm to 76 mm as compared to 56 mm to 75 mm in the specs.

Some Possible Negatives- Eye Cup Length and Pin Cushion

The biggest negative is that the eye cups do not extend far enough for the eye relief for me and I have to use the MOLCET technique for proper placement.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2875979&postcount=8

This is not unique to GPO. So many of the manufacturers do this. I was hoping the Zeiss folks behind GPO would have learned from the Conquest eye cup issues but I guess not. The good news is that I notice very little in the way of black out issues. It has not been unusual to have blackout problems with binoculars having short eye cups and wide fields, the new Leica Noctivid being the most severe example for me. The other good news is the eye cups have four different settings with positive clicks. With four settings, it would have been nice if the fourth was a little longer! Other than the length, I had no problems with the eye cups. I am not sure what material is used in their manufacture. The eye cups do not appear to be removable and I did not want to break anything finding out.

Eye relief is stated as 18 mm. I normally view without glasses but I briefly tried with glasses and I got a full FOV but with no room to spare. That can change between individuals depending on the glasses and facial structure.

There is noticeable pin cushion when getting closer to the edge which may be a consequence of having such a wide FOV. The Terra and Endeavor have noticeably less.

Center View

The center view remains sharp for about the first 75% of the distance from the center to the edge, which I think is fine. That is a very subjective estimate so others and Allbinos may conclude otherwise. The lack of sharpness is more noticeable at the last 5% next to the edge compared to the Terra, but again, that may be the result of the much larger FOV. It is a non issue since it is so far from the center. Some of the lack of sharpness near the edge can be focused out, but not all of it.

CA and Stray Light

There may be two potential optical issues for some. One is CA. I am not sensitive to CA so I really can not pass judgment. My test is to look at a horizontal rail centered in the view, then lower my head so the rail moves upward. It does not take much movement to start to see fringing and it is quite noticeable after about half way up. However it looks like the result is about the same with Terra and I do not recall it being known as a CA machine. I then did the same with the 8X42 Zeiss SF and the fringing was less than half of what I saw in the GPO and Terra. I do not know for sure, but I can see the potential where it may not work out for folks like Super Duty and Justin who are admittedly CA sensitive. It will take a CA sensitive person to give a final evaluation. I did look at various objects against the sky line and did not see CA, but I almost never do with any binocular. My advise to any CA sensitive person is to buy from a vendor with a good return policy just in case CA does cause issues. Hopefully some one will eventually provide an update on CA performance.

The second thing I noticed is lots of false pupils and scattered light with the binocular held away toward an open window light source and looking at the eye piece. I had concerns that it was going to be a Dennis glare machine so I took it outside about 4:30 PM and viewed the mountains off to the west and toward the lowering sun. Guess what, no glare issues out of the ordinary. The view was not crystal clear but that is the case with unaided vision looking at objects toward the sun and with other binoculars. I will have to use it some more to see if glare issues pop up, but so far, so good.

The Endeavor showed slightly less stray light when looking at the eye pieces and the Terra a little less again. I think it is the nature of the beast for the entry class to have stray light illuminate the eye piece outside of the exit pupil. I do not recall any glare issues with the Endeavor or Terra. The Zeiss SF 8X42 looks like midnight so I guess you get what you pay for in this case.

Quality of View

Brightness and contrast are good, especially for this price range. Of course it does not have that extra pop you see with something like a SF or Swaro EL SV, but I was not expecting that. I found the quality of the view to be very nice, very satisfying, and functional. I think it is better in the GPO as compared to the Endeavor and the Terra because of the noticeably more neutral color balance. I was looking at some rocks among some dried out desert growth, all shades of browns, and thought it was a little bit easier to pick out the detail with the GPO as compared to the Terra and the Endeavor. As expected, it was easier yet with the SF, but the GPO did just fine.

The lighting out here in the desert is harsh this time of year and so spectacular views are hard to come by right now. Degrees of dull and flat are the result no matter what binocular you use. What I like to do this time of year is to look at the eyes of birds to get the satisfying impression obtained from a good binocular. The most common bird for me is the Mourning Dove, but they have dark eyes and so it is not that impressive. However there are a good number of White Winged doves in the summer and they have interesting eyes with contrasting colors and a shine. I had some about 15 yards away this morning and the eyes have it. They looked great through the GPO. As a bonus, Mr. Curved Billed Thrasher, also known as mister yellow eyes, gave a close appearance and again, it was a great view through the GPO.

Which One?

If I had to decide right now, it would be either the GPO or Terra. I think it comes down to how you are going to use it. I like the GPO better just considering optical qualities. The wide FOV and the more neutral color balance are very nice. However if I were in an area with a lot of straight lines, then the smaller pin cushion image of the Terra would be an advantage. The other big advantage of the Terra for me is the more natural eye placement. I am going to have to spend some more time with the GPO before deciding between these two. The Endeavor comes in a close third. Although it is very nice, it really does not offer anything unique over the others. It has a somewhat tube view because of the more narrow FOV, a fast but touchy focus and a heavier forward balance.

Cost is a factor when considering this class so that may give an advantage to the Endeavor since it will sometimes have good rebates and sale prices. The Terra also has some nice discounts at times. If price is the primary concern, then one other to toss in the mix is the Zen Ray ZRS. It is generally the least expensive of the bunch. It is slightly behind in the overall view and build, but it is still very nice and will satisfy many looking for a very nice binocular at a low price.

Conclusion

I need to spend some time with the GPO out in the field to say for sure it is a winner, but so far, so good. My biggest concerns are getting use to the shorter eye cups and to make sure it does not have any as yet undisclosed glare issues. It looks like I am going to be ok on both, but it is still to soon to know for sure. I also need to keep an eye on the focus play to see if it gets worse or if I get annoyed with the current amount of play over time. If I could make just one change, it would be to lengthen the eye cups, and that goes for more than just the GPO!

The large field of view and the near neutral color balance along with the solid build and nice styling make it stand out in this class.

IMG_2414 Resized.jpg

IMG_2410 Resized.jpg

IMG_2411_1 Resized.jpg

IMG_2415Resized.jpg

IMG_2417 Resized.jpg

Last edited:
Some More Photos

The Unboxing .....

IMG_2407 Resized.jpg

IMG_2408 Resized.jpg

Amount of Focus Knob Free Play Travel:

This first picture shows the knob rotated all the way clockwise as far as it will go just before fully engaging and changing the focus. Notice the position of the arrow like marker.

IMG_2418_1 Resized.jpg

This second picture shows the knob rotated all the way counter clockwise as far as it will go before fully engaging and changing the focus. Notice the position of the arrow like marker.

IMG_2420_1 Resized.jpg

The difference in the positions of the arrows in the two photos show the amount of free play travel. There is some dampening before reaching the extremes.

It comes with a nice hard case and the binocular fits with the strap on and eye cups extended:

IMG_2441 Resized.jpg

Last edited:
With that FOV and compact size and weight a comparison to the Monarch 7 8x42 might be interesting.

I was underwhelmed by an early Terra 8x42, my only exposure to it, but kind of gather they must have improved. In comparison I think the Conquest 8x42 is 97% of an alpha, only FOV is a bit lacking.

Bruce:
A very nice review, the binocular sounds good, except for the focuser play.
That is a big issue for me, as I am bothered everything time it is used.

I think the Monarch 7 is also a nice binocular in this price range. I have the 8x30 and the
10x42. The Monarch's give the Zeiss Terra all it wants. Nikon has a better sweet spot I think.

Jerry

JG, Lee and Jerry .... Thanks.

Pbjosh .... A comparison between the Monarch 7 8X42 and the GPO would be interesting. I have looked at the 10X42 Monarch a couple of time but I do not recall ever looking at the 8. The Nikon website shows a 420 ft FOV and 22.9 oz for the Monarch. I believe the Monarch has a polycarbonate type frame. The Monarch 7 8X42 normal selling price is $100 more.

Jerry .... I do not know if the free play I found is normal or an exception. It is not to the point of causing focusing issues but I agree it would be better to have almost none. If I find out more, I will post it.

I did find a product announcement for the ED line that says the eye cups are made out of aluminum.

Bruce:
Last year around this time, I gave a friend of mine a choice of 3 binoculars, to have for his own.

He wears glasses, and it included the Zeiss Terra 8x42 and the Nikon Monarch 5 8x42.

I still have the Terra, as he chose the Monarch 5. The Monarch line is very good, and there
are many reasons it is a top seller.
My Monarch 7 10x42 recently made a trip to Alaska with another friend, who I sent along 3 binoculars
for him and family to use, lots of things to see on a trip like that and binoculars are important.

Jerry

Last edited:
Bruce and Jerry,

I have the M7 8x42, like I said have looked through a very early Terra. Haven't seen a ton of the other recent competitive binoculars except some older Eagle Optic Rangers (pre ED) and the Zen Ray ED3 8x43. The Zen Ray are optically handily the best of the lot but build quality had issues and ZR customer service leaves me leery of late. That aside, I still like the Monarch 7 the best by some margin. Great FOV, great handling, lightweight. I'm always curious about this dollar range of bins but there are a lot of them and I don't get to try many. Thanks for the review Bruce.

Hi, occasional lurker here, second time poster. I’m in search of <$500 binoculars and doing as much reading and testing as possible.
I received the GPO Passion ED 8x42 Friday afternoon, but didn’t get to have a look at the bins until Sunday afternoon and early this morning.
I would say Bruce’s detailed assessment is spot on, far more clinical than my lack of expertise would allow.
Having recently had the Monarch 7 in my hands, I think overall the M7 is better; better optics, lighter weight and to me, better feel in the hands. However, the M7 is priced approx. $100 more.
I think the Passion ED 8x42 is a worthy competitor to any <$400 binoculars on the market. For me, I think I’m going to spend the extra money for the M7 though.

pbjosh .... Your post motivated me to pull out my Zen-Ray 8X43 ED3 and do a quick comparison. I have a love/hate relationship with the Zen-Ray ED3. The optics are tremendous for the price but for me, it is not as user friendly as I would like. The big issue is again eye cups that are to short for the eye relief. It is even more so in the ZR than the GPO. The issue of easy eye placement is compounded for me with the ZR because it tends toward flashing blackouts unless everything is perfect. I find myself always fiddling with it whereas I look for the use of the binocular to be second nature so that one does not have to think about it. The GPO is better than the ZR in that regard. Everyone is different so the issues I have may not apply to others.

Optically they both have a similar nice wide FOV. The ZR color balance is more on the warm side. Both show noticeable pin cushioning. Center sweet spot size is similar with the ZR maybe being slightly larger. The ZR shows less fringing in my fringe test described in the first post. Both provide a very good view.

TroyM ..... Thanks for joining the thread. I saw your post last week in another thread saying you had the GPO ED on order and I was hoping you would comment on your experience.

There are several positive comments on the Nikon M7 that encourage me to take a look again. I saw the 10X42 within a few weeks of the release. It was disappointing due to a small center view in the sample I saw. Others commented on that at the time. I looked at one a couple of years later and did not get that impression. Some members posted that it looked like Nikon made some changes after the introduction. I got down on Nikon in general because of all of their warranty changes and confusion along with what appeared to be their declining interest in sports optics. Nikon did back track on some of their warranty reductions recently and they have put some new life in their binocular line with the intro of the HG so that is all good.

Last edited:
I thought I'd post this from an email exchange I had with Mike Jensen of GPO USA. My question was how the Passion ED compared to the Zeiss Terra as well as warranty comparisons. I don't think he would mind that I'm posting this:

On Jul 23, 2017, at 4:57 PM, info info <[email protected]> wrote:

Troy, thanks for the question. Happy to help clarify. As the former President of Zeiss, I know the Terra well. Our goal was to make a substantially better product for a similar price. I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised. Key differences are that we define higher specs than competitive $400 products. Optically, 90% transmission so it's brighter. Higher resolutions spec as sell. Technical improvements are a micro bridge that assists hand comfort, internal magnesium body for reduced weight, aluminum eyecup tubes for firm durable usage. We also supply a hard molded case, a small feature but adds value.

We have trademarked "Spectacular Lifetime Warranty", and although that a new company still has to prove itself, I bring a strong consumer service philosophy to this company knowing that with the social media world we live, poor service spreads like wildfire and can be death to a new company. Quite honestly, new companies normally work much harder at service than established companies. Our approach is "if it's not working, we will repair or replace it within 5 business days, forever".

There are no reviews because the first shipment of this item arrived last week, dealer orders have been shipped. Also we have shipped many units to journalists and product review specialists just last week. Review are in progress.

My personal contact information is below so if you have any concerns, you can contact me personally and I will make sure you are taken care of.

Thank you for your interest. After 5 years leading Zeiss and 8 years running sales at Swarovski, I believe that there is nothing remotely close to this product in the market for this price.

When you get it, message me, I'd be excited to hear your honest thoughts.

Thanks again.

Michael A. Jensen
GPO, USA - Owner, CEO
[email protected]
www.facebook.com/gpousaoptics
1-844-MY-BINOS (692-4667)
804-414-5022 (mobile)
www.gpo-usa.com

Hi Bruce,
That is a REALLY nice review! I really liked the way you reviewed the Passion ED but also compared it to two natural rivals the Endeavor ED II and Terra HD. It's nice reading a comparison especially when one has some of the ones being compared. I certainly have zero issue with a $400 made in China binocular.

As a birding binocular the Passion EDs FOV and light weight appeals to me as well. This binocular has pretty strong stats. I find it kind of strange that GPOs top tier binocular offers a good bit less FOV than their entry level binocular.

Focus adjustment issue.... It will be interesting to see if that's an infrequent issue OR is the norm. I know in my experience if ONE does it, they all probably do. If that's so that probably rules it out for me. Focus issues with me are like SuperDuty's CA issue! :smoke: That's a shame too because if basically everything else is as good or better than an Endeavor ED II and/or a Terrra HD...it's a really strong contender!

Thanks again for a great and interesting review Bruce!

I thought I'd post this from an email exchange I had with Mike Jensen of GPO USA. My question was how the Passion ED compared to the Zeiss Terra as well as warranty comparisons. I don't think he would mind that I'm posting this:

On Jul 23, 2017, at 4:57 PM, info info <[email protected]> wrote:

Troy, thanks for the question. Happy to help clarify. As the former President of Zeiss, I know the Terra well. Our goal was to make a substantially better product for a similar price. I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised. Key differences are that we define higher specs than competitive $400 products. Optically, 90% transmission so it's brighter. Higher resolutions spec as sell. Technical improvements are a micro bridge that assists hand comfort, internal magnesium body for reduced weight, aluminum eyecup tubes for firm durable usage. We also supply a hard molded case, a small feature but adds value.

We have trademarked "Spectacular Lifetime Warranty", and although that a new company still has to prove itself, I bring a strong consumer service philosophy to this company knowing that with the social media world we live, poor service spreads like wildfire and can be death to a new company. Quite honestly, new companies normally work much harder at service than established companies. Our approach is "if it's not working, we will repair or replace it within 5 business days, forever".

There are no reviews because the first shipment of this item arrived last week, dealer orders have been shipped. Also we have shipped many units to journalists and product review specialists just last week. Review are in progress.

My personal contact information is below so if you have any concerns, you can contact me personally and I will make sure you are taken care of.

Thank you for your interest. After 5 years leading Zeiss and 8 years running sales at Swarovski, I believe that there is nothing remotely close to this product in the market for this price.

When you get it, message me, I'd be excited to hear your honest thoughts.

Thanks again.

Michael A. Jensen
GPO, USA - Owner, CEO
[email protected]
www.facebook.com/gpousaoptics
1-844-MY-BINOS (692-4667)
804-414-5022 (mobile)
www.gpo-usa.com

As a matter of interest, are GPO binoculars made in Germany?

As a matter of interest, are GPO binoculars made in Germany?

Here is what is on the GPO website:

Our products are built to our high-quality standards in some of the largest global production facilities in the world. All of our design, engineering, and quality management is done internally in Germany.

It looks similar to what Zeiss has done with the Conquest and Terra where they partner with a manufacturer to develop a new product. Nikon appears to have worked with Kamakura on some of their newer products. Leica may have partnered on the new Trinovid which I think has a Japanese heritage. That appears to be a trend in the industry. Leupold also looks to have contracted out their models.

The GPO ED that I have does not look like a generic clone with different armoring. I have not seen anything else like it so I assume it was developed by the GPO team along with their manufacturing partners. Mine has a small label inside the hinge area saying China so I assume that is the location of final assembly.

GPO also says ......

GPO was founded by optical industry senior executives who have experienced how big brands increase profitability to support their massive production infrastructures. This corporate profitability structure normally results in increased consumer pricing or decreased product feature quality. We at GPO have a unique corporate structure that allows us to build higher-quality products with better features at similar prices or similar-quality products at better prices.

The above implies to me that GPO doses not have a big production infrastructure. That makes me think production is contracted out, mostly likely to Asia, where the costs are lower. The challenge then for GPO is to control the quality. Overall I thought the quality was very good for the first production run of a new model from a new company.

All around sounds like a nice binocular. If it is comparable to the ED3 optically but with superior fit and finish and, importantly, superior service, could be a real-deal winner. Would still be curious to see a side by side with the Monarch 7 8x42. I got my M7 8x42 for a good price and think it's great for the price, but I can see a world of difference in my perceived sharpness, in brightness, and in ease of view when I step up to the Conquest HD. Whereas stepping up from Conquest HD to Victory SF or EL SV, the changes are much less dramatic.

Also would love to see the Passion compared to the SF and EL but I'm not really in the market for another binocular, it's just curiosity :)

Chuck ..... Glad you found the review worthwhile.

Focus play is an interesting topic. There a good number of members who give focus characteristics a low priority when choosing a binocular. Then there are folks like you and me that put those attributes high on the list. It is similar in controversy to the topics of rolling ball and CA. The Forum has had some hot discussion on all three of those topics. I decided to cover the focus in detail and let each individual decide what is important to them.

My preference is there should be no play or very little. It can be a distraction and it can slow things down when trying to lock in a focus. The bottom line is how it does in the field. I do not like free play, but if a binocular that has some free play still allows me to lock on to focus quickly and is not a distraction, then I am able to look past the issue because the functionality is there. That is how it is with the GPO. Some free play is there, but it does not seem to slow me down in getting a sharp focus and I am really not aware of it when not doing an arm chair analysis. So long as it works, that is what ultimately counts. I will give it some more time because my view may change after the newness of the GPO wears off. I would definitely prefer no or little play but so far, I can accept how it functions now.

What is interesting is the GPO is much less annoying when focusing than the Endeavor or the Terra. That is because the other two have a very fast (to fast for me) focus speed at other than close range. I spend a lot of time fiddling with the focus on those two models because the focus is so touchy.

Chuck, I think the issue you and I have to deal with is that we are spoiled after using a Nikon EDG!

Troy M ...... Thanks for posting the info from Mike J., very informative. Zeiss is facing some challenges on the Terra front with the GPO ED and the Conquest front with the Nikon HG. I think they are still alone with the Zeiss Victory SF, although some will say the new Notivid will give them a run. Sports optics is a competitive business.

Here is some info on the GPO ED that was in the product announcement press release ........

The PASSION™ ED binocular line will be initially offered in 8x32, 10x32, 8x42, and 10x42 models. With smooth-rotating aluminum locking eyecups and a magnesium micro-bridge and main core ergonomically built for maximum hand-holding comfort, these binoculars will meet the needs of everyone looking for a high-performance entry-premium field optic. Models include a wide-angle field of view, GPObright™ high-transmission lens coating technology boasting 90% light transmission, extended eye relief, and close-focus capabilities that are sure to please the optical enthusiast. Waterproof and nitrogen-purged for fog-proof capability, the line features phase-coated prisms for optical performance and an included custom molded hard case. All models are available in four colors: Charcoal Black, Deep Green, Desert Sand, and Dark Brown Earth.

As far as I know, only black units are available in the U.S. right now.

Here is the complete press release .....

http://gpo-usa.com/blog/press/gpo-usa-introduces-passion-ed-binocular-line

Last edited:
I tried the GPO ED 8x32 and I found the same issues. The eye cups are too short for the eye relief and the focuser has way too much free play. I can't tolerate using the MOLCET technique so that is a deal breaker for me especially when there are many binoculars out there that don't force you to use it. Mine also did not have any objective covers even though they are supposed to be included. I thought the binocular was lacking a little in build quality also. The label on the front of the focuser looked like a decal and the center mark for the diopter setting looked liked it was hand painted on. Of course I realize we are talking about a $350.00 binocular but I would say the Vortex Viper HD 8x32 or 8x42 is higher in quality and the eye cups are the correct length and it has better optics at a similar price.

Last edited:
I still think the Zeiss Terra still has the advantage ...like Iv been saying from the start....V-good optics....v-good build quality...solid smooth focus....average FOV...good ER....great warranty....backed by a company that's been here from the beginning....no it doesn't rate flagship status....but its a solid performer...that rates good or better in all categories....wish it was made in Europe or the US but it is what it is....

BTW the only Vanguard Endeavor ED I have is the 10.5 x 45....and like it when I need that little extra X...but 10.5 is at my handheld limit on a good day.....and GPO has always rubbed me as another Zen Ray in the making...give me 10yrs to think about it....

Hi, I just acquired these binoculars and I'm going to test them more in a few days.

Quick feedback after quick test:

• lightweight, compact and very comfortable to use
  • eyecups ok for me and position stays steady
  • no diopter lock but it's ok for me
  • love the caps for the objectives: no stuff to pull around, you just insert in straight (look for photos to understand what I mean)
  • wheel full turn: 1,7
  • wheel very sensitive/low resistance (combined with 1,7 turn it's ok but I prefer 1,25 with moderate resistance)
  • lenses don't clean very well, cleaning product leaves stains because there is no water repellent coating (Hawke Frontier edx and vortex viper can be cleaned to perfection thanks to that)
  • a real, wide field of view. Not as neat edge to edge like the Vortex viper but the Viper is 409ft and the GPO is 426 so it's not a problem.
  • colours and sharpness: I'm unable to tell. All I can say is it looks good to me, but so are my cheap Porro binoculars ;)
  • major advantage: excellent glare control (reason why I discarded the Vortex viper which is the worse of all with its almost-permanent 2 grey stains on each lense, even at dusk ...)
  • design looks cheap because of the soft rubber: picked the black and sand colour, I'm going to swap for brown
  • because of the soft rubber part, I expect wear and torn after a few years, which is not covered by the warranty (mentioned explicitly). For me, that might be the blocking point as I go birding every week, and sometimes under mild rain.
  • competitive price

One thing I really want to emphasize is that the large fov combined with their very good glare control make them a delight to use.
I think there is a relation between fov and glare: the more fov, the more glare you get it looks like to me. If so, it doesn't make sense to compare them to the Terra and other binoculars with a narrow fov.

Hope it helped.

Edit: the fact they can't be cleaned properly is also a blocking point for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back