• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldcraft 2 (1 Viewer)

Julian61

Hi - I asked for ideas on a good book to improve my skills as a birder a few weeks ago but despite many views, no one got back to me with any ideas. Part of the reason I posted is that I know there are a couple of publications in the US geared towards this, 'Better Birding' to give one example. There is the Helm guide to bird identification which looks quite promising. Does a gone have any favourites, books they would recommend to someone like me who I would guess is intermediate but with fairly advanced enthusiasm!

Any suggestions gratefully accepted...

Seems to be something of a forgotten art Julian, hence the lack of replies. Plenty of books out there describing the birds themselves but not an awful lot on how to hunt them down. The old stuff, often found collecting dust in shadowy backstreet 2nd hand bookshops can be rewarding, ie-
Watching Birds by James Fisher
The Art of Birdwatching by E.M. Nicholson
Birds in their Haunts by C.A.Johns
Natural History of Selbourne by Gilbert White
England's Birds by W.K.Richmond
There's also a lot out there aimed at young novice birdwatchers but which hold occasional gems for us older ones-
RSPB guide to Birdwatching (hamlyn)
How to Birdwatch by Stephen Moss
Birdwatching (Macdonald Guidelines)

From one slowly maturing novice to another to another, hope this helps

Bill Oddie's Birding with Bill Oddie And two from the past Bird Watching Peter Clarke and Tony Sopers Go Birding

Wouldn't wish 'birding with Bill Oddiie' on anyone,met him out and about a few times and he's a miserable bugger......:-C

He once once berated me on Shetland when he asked me, in a hide, where I'd seen the Black-headed Bunting. When I said, and plants not being a speciality of mine 'near those Marsh Marigold things', bright yellow flowers in a marsh(?) he really gave it to me for not knowing what they were. Luckily for WEO, I was in a good mood that day, it was well before my manopause set in...:-O

A

Last edited:
Wouldn't wish 'birding with Bill Oddiie' on anyone,met him out and about a few times and he's a miserable bugger......:-C

He once once berated me on Shetland when he asked me, in a hide, where I'd seen the Black-headed Bunting. When I said, and plants not being a speciality of mine 'near those Marsh Marigold things', bright yellow flowers in a marsh(?) he really gave it to me for not knowing what they were. Luckily for WEO, I was in a good mood that day, it was well before my manopause set in...:-O

A
Walked past me and my mate Rick years ago at Blythburgh Estuary. As he passed I turned and he looked and said '' Yes it is me '' Rick said yes so it is And we carried on walking.:-O

Thanks everyone. Some titles I know from the past and many years ago I read Gilbert White's great book. The diversion of the thread in an Oddie direction was entertaining. He gets a lot of bad press but I did enjoy that TV series looking at different areas of Europe and their birds. Shame it's unavailable on DVD.
Thanks again for all your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back