• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What are the very BEST Binos in this Galaxy (1 Viewer)

RobMorane

Hi All,

Don't worry, it's a joke 3:)

We all have noticed a certain trend to ask what's the Best Binoculars
between this one and that one, or the Best 8x42 etc.

There's no problem asking these questions, but I decided to make this thread in order to give some insights to a beginner who would like to buy the very Best the money can buy, without knowing so much about Binoculars.

So, the sad Truth is...
Be Prepared...

There's NO Best Binocular in this world, this Planet or even Galaxy.
Here's why:

It depends so much of the following:

- Your use (Birding, Astronomy or other use, high magnification required or not).

- What you need (Wide field of view, flat field, color accuracy, Brightness, Light Transmission, no CA etc)

- Your eyes and Brain. We all have different ones, and they interpret signals differently. For example, some people are sensitive to CA or Rolling Ball, some other aren't.

- Your Hands. Because the ergonomy is important.

- The quality control of the manufacturer. Some can get a very good unit, and some other a lemon, without even knowing it.

- The choice your local shop have. Because Yes, you do need to try them before you decide what to buy.

- Your Budget. Some people can't be happier with their 300 USD Binos, and some others are not Happy with their 2K ones.

And I'm surely forgetting some other stuff you all will add.

To be Brief: Ask 10 persons what's the Best Binos between five different models, and you might get totally different answers.
And these are typically the answers you will get here.

Some would say Swaro 8.5x42 are the Best, Dennis would reply Maven or Toric because Swaro focuser sucks ;), some others would say Zeiss Victory, some others Steiner.

So before asking us what's the Best Binoculars, try to think about the points mentionned above, and let us know.
We might help you more efficiently to reduce your choice between models.
But at the end, Your eyes and Brain should have the last word.
Not us.

All the Best

Hi All,

Some would say Swaro 8.5x42 are the Best, Dennis would reply Maven or Toric because Swaro focuser sucks ;), some others would say Zeiss Victory, some others Steiner.

All the Best

True....but no logical argument can any longer be made that Leica should be on that list.....way to many mechanical problems....which is strange at least to me because back in the day Leitz had the best binocular mechanics hands down......

I will send a message to my colleagues on Proxima Centauri b.
They probably know of the best binoculars in our part of the galaxy.

I should get a reply in 8.5 years.

I will send a message to my colleagues on Proxima Centauri b.
They probably know of the best binoculars in our part of the galaxy.

I should get a reply in 8.5 years.

Hilarious Binastro !

True....but no logical argument can any longer be made that Leica should be on that list.....way to many mechanical problems....which is strange at least to me because back in the day Leitz had the best binocular mechanics hands down......

SF had its share of complaints after launch and they corrected those issues ( color cast, crummy armor, focuser issues ).

Swaro addressed some issues of the SV in the field pro and later previous models as it has been reported (glare issues in the 32mm and focuser problems).

Leica will work out the bugs with Noctivid over time just as Zeiss and Swaro did with their flagship binos.

Some claim Uvid HD+ has improved focuser compared to Uvid HD. Mine is very nice and smooth, but I never owned the previous HD version to compare it to.

p.s. The above complaints are not mine, but ones I've read here on the forum over time.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Don't worry, it's a joke 3:)

We all have noticed a certain trend to ask what's the Best Binoculars
between this one and that one, or the Best 8x42 etc.

There's no problem asking these questions, but I decided to make this thread in order to give some insights to a beginner who would like to buy the very Best the money can buy, without knowing so much about Binoculars.

So, the sad Truth is...
Be Prepared...

There's NO Best Binocular in this world, this Planet or even Galaxy.
Here's why:

It depends so much of the following:

- Your use (Birding, Astronomy or other use, high magnification required or not).

- What you need (Wide field of view, flat field, color accuracy, Brightness, Light Transmission, no CA etc)

- Your eyes and Brain. We all have different ones, and they interpret signals differently. For example, some people are sensitive to CA or Rolling Ball, some other aren't.

- Your Hands. Because the ergonomy is important.

- The quality control of the manufacturer. Some can get a very good unit, and some other a lemon, without even knowing it.

- The choice your local shop have. Because Yes, you do need to try them before you decide what to buy.

- Your Budget. Some people can't be happier with their 300 USD Binos, and some others are not Happy with their 2K ones.

And I'm surely forgetting some other stuff you all will add.

To be Brief: Ask 10 persons what's the Best Binos between five different models, and you might get totally different answers.
And these are typically the answers you will get here.

So before asking us what's the Best Binoculars, try to think about the points mentionned above, and let us know.
We might help you more efficiently to reduce your choice between models.
But at the end, Your eyes and Brain should have the last word.
Not us.

All the Best

Rob:

If we lived to be 100, this is one piece of ridiculousness we wouldn’t have the power to halt—or even slow. That is why of all my “Misconceptions,” it rated NUMBER ONE, 25% of which is attached.

Bill

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 9.00.34 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 9.00.34 AM.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 177
Also, I remember some years back reading reviews of Zeiss FL , as I was interested in possibly buying the 8x32 FL. The FL is considered an all time great and a venerated classic now. I read lots of very positive online reviews, allbinos type pro reviews etc.

Then I looked at old user reviews on birdforum and I saw complaints of terrible astigmatism, bendy lines on the periphery. I looked through the 8x32 outside of the nature store a few years ago. If those bendy lines were present I didn't see them when looking for birds in the trees. Who cares...it's still one of the all time best bins IMO.

Rob:

If we lived to be 100, this is one piece of ridiculousness we wouldn’t have the power to halt—or even slow. That is why of all my “Misconceptions,” it rated NUMBER ONE, 25% of which is attached.

Bill

So true, and very well written Bill.
Thank You to have shared it.
By the way, Buying your book is on my To Do List :t:

BTW, kudos to Bill for his book; I am enjoying it. I like that in the title he led with "Fallacy" and followed with "Fact."

Taking the OP seriously for a moment, when someone wants the very best money can buy without knowing much about what they are buying, they need professional help, either optical or psychiatric.

Alan

Have to agree with ailevin. Most expensive car in the world? McLaren P1 at £4,000,000. Best car in the world(voted twice)? Jaguar F Pace £40,000.

BTW, kudos to Bill for his book; I am enjoying it. I like that in the title he led with "Fallacy" and followed with "Fact."

Taking the OP seriously for a moment, when someone wants the very best money can buy without knowing much about what they are buying, they need professional help, either optical or psychiatric.

Alan

HAHAHA, True Alan.

But it does happen a lot in other area.
One being photography, especially since the digital Era.

You see beginners buying Pro Equipment, especially "The Best DSLR money can buy", totally omiting that Lenses and their aperture are as much important, not even mentionning that the most important factor is the qualities of the Photographer behind the camera.

A good exemple is the number of people who bought a Leica M....
and got their first pictures pitch black because they forgot to
remove the cap of the lens.

It's not because someone is using a Mont-Blanc Fountain pen to write,
that what is written will make a good book.

There are the Tools...and the people who use them.

Sarcasm aside, when a person is willing to buy the very best equipment in an area where they have little expertise they need someone knowledgeable in the area that they trust. This trusted consultant can help them understand their needs as well as what is available in top flight equipment. While we speak of ergonomics and personal equation here, a beginner has little idea what his personal preferences are or will be until he uses the equipment for a while. I actually think this is an argument against starting out at the very top of the line unless money is truly no object.

Years ago when I was starting out in astronomy there was a local shop that specialized in astronomical telescopes, binoculars, and books. It was staffed by knowledgeable amateur and semi-professional astronomers who helped me avoid all sorts of mistakes. Sadly, it is difficult for such shops to exist in the internet age.The premium paid for this sort of service is particularly valuable if one is going to make a sizable investment.

Alan

I would add an addional criteria after "Your hands".

- Your facial structure.

Two other criteria are
- Geographical location for different climates and lighting
- Subject being viewed

And to answer your title question, it's easy, the Zeiss 8X42 SF. :t: ;)

- Your facial structure.

Two other criteria are
- Geographical location for different climates and lighting
- Subject being viewed

True, and if the person is wearing glasses or not.

About the lighting, I remember an Irish birder I've met who told me that 32mm were not
bright enough in Ireland durng winter.

I would even say any country north of France but that's just my opinion,
living in southern France (anything above a line Bordeaux-Lyon is North for us ;o)))

HAHAHA, True Alan.

But it does happen a lot in other area.
One being photography, especially since the digital Era.

You see beginners buying Pro Equipment, especially "The Best DSLR money can buy", totally omiting that Lenses and their aperture are as much important, not even mentionning that the most important factor is the qualities of the Photographer behind the camera.

A good exemple is the number of people who bought a Leica M....
and got their first pictures pitch black because they forgot to
remove the cap of the lens.

It's not because someone is using a Mont-Blanc Fountain pen to write,
that what is written will make a good book.

There are the Tools...and the people who use them.

The one that always ground my gears was "That's a really nice photograph ..... you must have a very good camera."

A "real" photographer can make good photos with a box camera, and the world is full of folks who couldn't take a decent photo with a Hasselblad.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back