• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

juvenile robin or flycatcher, Japan (1 Viewer)

Tom Tarrant

Bird and Wildlife Tour Guide
Opus Editor
Australia
Greg Miles recently posted this on Flickr, unfortunately I don't have all the details but it was photographed in Japan.

Tom

Attachments

• unID.jpg
    unID.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 130
I'm going to try and get in before Sean and say juvenile Grey-streaked Flycatcher...

Not sure if they breed in Japan or not?

Umm interesting looking flycatcher sp.

It is most likey a muscicapa sp. There are two possibilites in Japan.

Most likely a young Asian Brown Flycatcher - Muscicapa dauurica, freshly fledged. It appears to have white mrkings on the coverts and scapulars, and have some subtle spotting/streaking on the breast.

However, Juveniles are tricky and there is a slim possibility that it could be a Sooty/Dark-sided Flycatcher - Muscicapa sibiricus, though I would expect the breast to be darker and the spots on the head to be buffier, as well as the markings on the wings and they often have dark spots on the vent, that are lacking in the bird in the picture.

I could only find pics of juvenile Brown taken in India, which are quite different. I have posted a pic of a juvenile Sooty below:

http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/s...esult&Bird_ID=2708&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1

The only anomaly seems to be the extensive white outer tail feathers, not something you'd usually expect in any muscicapa species in Japan.

Tom where was the photo taken in Japan?

Sean

Hiroshima

I'm going to try and get in before Sean and say juvenile Grey-streaked Flycatcher...

Not sure if they breed in Japan or not?

Hey Paul

No they don't breed regularly in Japan.

They are a common autumn passage migrant corss Japan, and a scarce spring passage migrant on the west side of Japan.

I did initially wonder if it might be Grey-streaked, but I don' think so...

Sean

Hey Paul

No they don't breed regularly in Japan.

They are a common autumn passage migrant corss Japan, and a scarce spring passage migrant on the west side of Japan.

I did initially wonder if it might be Grey-streaked, but I don' think so...

Sean

Ok, cheers for that. I think the outer rectrices just look white because of light shining through them though, so wouldn't worry about that too much. I've been caught out many times with warblers and the same effect!

I agree that the bird is obviously Asian Brown Flycatcher (Muscicapa dauurica or M. latirostris): e.g. pale lore area, two coloured lower mandible, clean whitish undertail coverts, relatively long-looking bill, etc...

I would agree with juvenile Asian Brown Flycatcher.

Dark-sided should be more heavily marked on the breast and shorter-billed (see the link in sean's post)

Hi All,

Just received this info from Greg on the location

"It was taken at Utoro which is on the Shiretoko Peninsula on the island of Hokkaido"

Hope this helps.....are there any breeding Ficedula flycatchers there?

Tom

Hey Tom

There are two species breeding in Hokkaido, Sooty and Asian Brown, As I said I think it is most likely to be an Asian Brown.

Sooty is pretty much restricted to higher altitude forest, and the highest mountains on the Shiretoko are around 1000m, so it is unlikely that they breed on the peninsula or are restricted to the mountain tops. Although other species that are altitudinal breeders in Honshu, breed at much lower elevations in Hokkaido. Asian Brown breeds from sea level to around 2000m above sea level.

Only one species of Ficedula breeds in Japan and that is Narcissus Flycatcher.

It certainly isn't that species. A juvenile would be more greenish-brown above, with a reddish-brown square tail.

Sean

Hiroshima

Hey Tom

There are two species breeding in Hokkaido, Sooty and Asian Brown, As I said I think it is most likely to be an Asian Brown.

Sooty is pretty much restricted to higher altitude forest, and the highest mountains on the Shiretoko are around 1000m, so it is unlikely that they breed on the peninsula or are restricted to the mountain tops. Although other species that are altitudinal breeders in Honshu, breed at much lower elevations in Hokkaido. Asian Brown breeds from sea level to around 2000m above sea level.

Only one species of Ficedula breeds in Japan and that is Narcissus Flycatcher.

It certainly isn't that species. A juvenile would be more greenish-brown above, with a reddish-brown square tail.

Sean

Hiroshima

Thanks Sean, I saw some images of juvenile ficedula flys in Craig Robson SE Asia guide and thought they could fit the bill, but if there is only Narcissus that effectively rules them out.

I will post Greg's other shots when I receive 'em.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back