• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Swarovski binoculars soon (1 Viewer)

Hi Mike,

The prototype New ELs had eye-cups that twist out to two levels - the first to a depth of about that of the current ELs (i.e. further than that of the older ELs that only twisted out a wee little bit), and the second level is much further, creating a much deeper cavity between ocular lens and eye-ball; i presume to take advantage of the eye-relief and fov.

Question, exactly how many MMs does each level extend to above the totally down position?

On the EL, I am currently using eyecups from another Swarovski SLC with much greater eye relief, they fit me well somewhere on their intermediate level which is still higher than the highest EL's eyecups offer fully extended.

This will be one of the determining factors if I get them or not.

* close focus limit will be shorter (1.5 meters vs. 2.5 meters currently?)

B :)

I just hope this doesn't reduce focus overdrive past infinity.

Looking at this page, it looks like it doesn't and maintains 6D of overdrive for the 8.5x42 model.

http://www.staroptics.it/otticaterrestre/Swarovski/binocoli_swarovski_el_swarovision.htm

Reason for saying this, I asked Leica if it's possible to increase focus overdrive past infinity on the new Ultravids and was told yes, but it will result in reduced close focus limit, so I wonder if this is a similar situation. I need to definitively find out before making a commitment. The current EL has between 5.5D and 6D of focus overdrive which is enough for me.

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

The prototype New ELs had eye-cups that twist out to two levels - the first to a depth of about that of the current ELs (i.e. further than that of the older ELs that only twisted out a wee little bit), and the second level is much further, creating a much deeper cavity between ocular lens and eye-ball; i presume to take advantage of the eye-relief and fov.

Happy birding

This is really good news. I was disappointed in the stock EL eyecups since they didn't go high enough for the 18mm eye relief, resulting in blackouts. I had to replace them with eyecups from 8x50 SLC which were designed for 21mm ER and work OK in the EL. But it's not a real fix and it certainly lacks click stops that it sorely needs.

The other positive but less important development is that metal is no longer present in the grip area. In the winter, the current generation of ELs gets very cold.

I will upgrade my ELs once the new EL is available in US.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back