• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quality of image stabilization provided by the Panasonic OIS system (1 Viewer)

Hor Kee

Penang birder
Dear all,

Does anyone know of the degree or quality of the image stabilization provided for in Panasonic's OIS system? For instance, Canon's IS system rates its IS from anything from 2 stops of stabilization for the old lenses right to an incredible 5 stops for the 200mm F2L.

Further, has anyone compared how Panasonic's OIS system compares with other brands? I would especially like to know how the 100-300mm lens's OIS compares with similar zooms with optical stabilization e.g. Canon or Nikon's 70-300mm or 55-250mm.

I have read on DPReview forums that the Olympus IBIS gives less stabilization compared to the lens-based OIS. Anyone can enlighten me of the quality therein?

Thanks all :t:

Regards,

Hor Kee

I cannot compare with Nikon or Canon systems, but my experience with the 100-300 stabilisation is that it is not as good as Panasonic's FZ superzoom stabilisation, which I do have experience of.

I generally shoot at the long end with shutter speeds at 1/500th or faster to ensure no shake. Mind you, I use a G3 which does not allow "mode 2" stabilisation, where it only kicks in once you press the shutter. This mode is generally considered to be superior. The GH2 has it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back