• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My review of EL 8x32 WB Swarovision and more (1 Viewer)

Tobias

Have you tried the Swaro 8x42 SLC (current model) or SLC HD? It just might be the binocular that ticks all the right boxes for you. SV image quality with no rolling ball and the largest sweetspot of all the non-flattener binoculars. Very easy view. Not very heavy, compact and very solid construction. Slowish focus the only significant drawback.

Kimmo

Tobias

Have you tried the Swaro 8x42 SLC (current model) or SLC HD? It just might be the binocular that ticks all the right boxes for you. SV image quality with no rolling ball and the largest sweetspot of all the non-flattener binoculars. Very easy view. Not very heavy, compact and very solid construction. Slowish focus the only significant drawback.

Kimmo

Kimmo,

I can't help but add "ditto" to that, and for exactly the reasons you mentioned! Incidentally, based on the discussion in another thread, within their overlapping focusing ranges the SLC HD is considerably quicker than the current SLC. Below that range (i.e., between 6-10 ft.) it's very slow but very precise.

It's the finest binocular I ever owned, and altho a bit more to carry around than an 8x32, it's worth the extra effort.

Ed

Last edited:
Tobias

Kimmo

No, I haven´t, but I will try to test it. But then, I just love porros and get on very well with my SE and the Habicht.

I got my SV 8x32 sample in may 2013 and the RB is very pronounced. That´s my main quarrel with this glass. I cannot get used to it. High price to pay for this flat field view - in more than one way.

Personally I love the flat field of the Nikon SE, because it´s a part of the nice panning behavior. I feel the unsharp part of the field - like in the Habicht 8x30 - distracts me a bit, no matter what distortion, just because it´s unsharp. Natural or not.

It's interesting how different people perceive the rolling ball effect. For me this is no issue at all. On the other hand, after some time in the field with the 8x32SV, the view of the Zeiss FL 8x42 looks rather awkward to me because you really get used to the ease of view with the edge-to-edge sharpness of the SV.
Plus the superior handling, low weight, ample eye relief etc. this is MY ideal birding bin.

"But then, I just love porros and get on very well with my SE and the Habicht."

OK, if you are a "porro-fan" your criteria for chosing binoculars are totally different to my point of view.
For me, the Habicht has, due to its porro design, strange handling characteristics plus inacceptable short eye-relief plus stiff focusing mechanism plus bad contrast plus you name it.
But this is of course my personal view, not necessarily to be shared by others.

OK, if you are a "porro-fan" your criteria for chosing binoculars are totally different to my point of view.
For me, the Habicht has, due to its porro design, strange handling characteristics plus inacceptable short eye-relief plus stiff focusing mechanism plus bad contrast plus you name it.
But this is of course my personal view, not necessarily to be shared by others.

Quote above- shows how important it is for the optic in ? to fit the individual.

Because I for one think that the optics on the Habicht (8x3) are not only superb, but it fits ME quite well. And I had a 8x32 SV ( and loved that one as well).

The Habicht is very easy for me to hold and my middle and ring finger slip right in between the binocular prism housing and hands wrap around the prism housing. On the 8x32 SV, although its ergos are great, I found with my 59 IPD even though I could wrap around the barrels with one hand and slip 3 fingers through and between the open bridge- there was not a lot of room for 3 fingers of both hands to fit in between. And the Handling for me on the Habicht is much better than a Nikon SE.

** pics in thumbnail below showing Habicht and SV finger placement when adjusted to my IPD; ( notice how there is not much room on the SV to fit in 3 fingers from my other hand)

Eye relief is fine for ME and my eyes either with out eye glasses, or with my smaller close fitting eyeglasses that I use.

Focusing is also not an issue for me, and I can easily put up with a focus that is a little bit stiff to have a H2O proof bino. Plus I am not rapidly moving the focus back and forth when in real use. Heck- the focus travel on my Habicht is less than a 1/4 turn total from 50' to eternity focus. If that is too stiff for me, then I need to start eating my spinach.

And as far as contrast goes, my 8x30 Habicht has some of the best contrast, and sharpness of any binocular I have ever had. And that includes the 8x32 SV.

Here is a link to a review I did last here on the 8x30 Habicht and the Swaro 8x32 SV:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=251846

So different strokes for different folks. And that is a good thing.

Attachments

• P1020850_zpsf86fb89b.jpg
    P1020850_zpsf86fb89b.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 95
  • P1020849_zpsa218a0a9.jpg
    P1020849_zpsa218a0a9.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 92
I got my SV 8x32 sample in may 2013 and the RB is very pronounced. That´s my main quarrel with this glass. I cannot get used to it. High price to pay for this flat field view - in more than one way.

Couldn't agree more, and is my experience with Swirlvision.

Also, a friend who is not a birder or binocular nut, recently called me to tell me he had just tried a pair of 8.5x42 SV's. I asked him what he thought, and he replied that, "while the view seemed extraordinary, he felt unsettled and dizzy looking through them." I laughed, and proceeded to tell him about the RB effect, which he'd never heard of. He told me he'd just keep his B&L 8x42 Elites, as that feeling didn't happen when he used those :)

Every discussion involving the SV's degenerates into the how horrible RB is. The nature of forums being what it is, a few folks are able to dominate the tone of the entire thread. I've never experienced RB, and none of the 75 or so friends and family that have tried my SV have not been able to see it even after a full explanation of what it is and what it should look like. I'm not denying it exists but am complaining that the RB faithful cannot leave a thread about SV's alone.

John F
LV NV

Every discussion involving the SV's degenerates into the how horrible RB is. The nature of forums being what it is, a few folks are able to dominate the tone of the entire thread. I've never experienced RB, and none of the 75 or so friends and family that have tried my SV have not been able to see it even after a full explanation of what it is and what it should look like. I'm not denying it exists but am complaining that the RB faithful cannot leave a thread about SV's alone.

John F
LV NV

I agree John. I just smile when I use them and go with the flow.
Bryce...

John F
LV NV

About 50% of the people I know that have tried the SV's have experienced RB... which is another way to say I doubt your numbers.

The human eye doesn't work like SV, so it's not surprising that some of us experience RB, as has the gentleman I quoted that actually owns a pair and is bothered by it.

Also, please answer me why Swarovski is allegedly modifying the SV because of Rolling Ball if it's not a problem?

True believers are just that, facts aside...

John F
LV NV

Also, I recall the review on birdwatching.com (Michael and Diane Porter's website) where they tested the SV and said:

"Caveat: A side effect of the flat field of view is that the image seems to roll slightly when panning from side to side. Although some of our judges noted this effect, none found it troubling."

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2012highendbins/review.html

And they probably handle/use/test bins for birding more than 90-99% of the folks in the world.

I still respect the opinions of those who TRULY see it and are TRULY bothered by it, but I do think the point in the above quote is well founded.

I have a question for those owning 8x32 SV. What would be your preferred next model to compliment both binoculars?

10x32, 8.5x42, 10x42, 10x50 or 12x50 SV?

OR

8x42, 10x42, 8x56, 10x56 or 15x56 SLC?

I tested the 10x42 SLC last month briefly and liked the view very much but unable to compare with my 8x32 SV. The 10x42 SV was really awesome! But I am addicted with wide FOV, hence why I settled with 8x32.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated

I have a question for those owning 8x32 SV. What would be your preferred next model to compliment both binoculars?

10x32, 8.5x42, 10x42, 10x50 or 12x50 SV?

OR

8x42, 10x42, 8x56, 10x56 or 15x56 SLC?

I tested the 10x42 SLC last month briefly and liked the view very much but unable to compare with my 8x32 SV. The 10x42 SV was really awesome! But I am addicted with wide FOV, hence why I settled with 8x32.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated
I would chose the 10x50 to compliment the 8x32.

I'm considering going that route.

The 8x32 sv as it turns out is alot better than I was expecting.

It actually trumps a lot of 42mm's, I'm liking it more and more with use.

Still the 10x50 has its advantages, better low light performance plus the added resolution on distant targets.

I owned the 10x for a short while and really miss it.

Swarovski got it right as far as I'm concerned regarding the Swarovisions.

Excellent in all respects.

Better to my eyes than the Zeiss HT or Leica HD's.

Bryce...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back