• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Current model Trinovid not to be ignored (1 Viewer)

F88

Hello all,

Recently I've bought a few new pairs of binoculars to become my three main pairs, one is enough in reality but like most of you here I have a few.
Like most I looked at specifications and read reviews etc before deciding on which ones to go for. This is where I think many get lost or potentially misguided as what's on paper doesn't always translate in actual use, I'll explain further in my brief evaluation.
I was very close to going for the SV 8.5x42, Zeiss HT or an Ultravid when I decided on adding a 7 or 8x42 to my collection. Buying budget wise has always left me feeling the old adage of the poor man pays twice so I was set on the highest quality within reason, one exception to this rule I've found is with my 7x50 Fujinon FMTR-SX which provide nothing short of an amazing view for a reasonable and much cheaper than alpha price.
With this in mind the new Trinovid had a few things stacked against it, long minimum focus which while not greatly important to me still appeared behind the competition, no ED glass elements which these days for high end glass is a must and even in much cheaper price brackets, mildly narrow field of view compared to the competition, short eye relief and not so importantly but possibly off putting for some this German glass is made in Portugal.
I went against all the potential short comings and in a way was drawn to the new Trinovid and I'm glad I did. As soon as I took it out of the box I was impressed with it's design, quality of build and aesthetics.
Now to cover the perceived short comings, I also did a bit of comparing against my Nikon EDG 8x32 while doing so.
Minimum focus for me is closer to 2m than 3.5m.
ED glass, or lack of. There is CA there but not in the area you concentrate on, you have to look for it and look at the edges off the natural viewing area. They are sharp with good contrast and provide nice colour with a very comfortable and enjoyable view.
Field of view. I looked out about 2Km's comparing the field against my EDG's (126m@1000m vs 136m) and I really thought it a non issue, noticeable but mild and no big deal.
Eye relief. More than adequate with a very easy and comfortable view. I don't use glasses and have quite good eye sight but I'm sure (haven't tried yet) I could still use them with sunglasses if I wanted to but it's not something I would usually do.
Made in Portugal. No problem at all, these are very well made and Portugal should be proud of these fine optics.
They aren't sharp to the edge like my EDG but the two pairs both offer excellent views.
I'm very impressed with these new Trinovids and very happy I decided to go for them.
I feel that the Trinovids are ignored or written off by many, perhaps by some of the potential short comings I mentioned or comparing spec sheets but I can assure you that these are an excellent pair of binoculars in many aspects that certainly should not be passed over or ignored.

Last edited:
Agreed, I own the new Trinovid as well (since about 3 weeks now I guess) and it's a very fine instrument.
What really amazed me was the glare control and contrast. Very, very sharp as well, and nice colour saturation.
I've had the new Swaro SLC, but traded it for a EL32SV. Second bin was a Zeiss Terra, but I didn't really like the yellow-ish image. Sold it to my dad, and went off to the store with a Conquest HD 8x42 in mind. I didn't want to end up with an alpha model, so I was looking for a second tier bin.
Did a comparison between the trinny and the Conquest, and liked the trinny better. Not that the Conquest was bad, but the solid, luxurious feel immediately caught my attention.
The eye relief of the Conquest didn't work for me, the eyecups seemed to be too short for me, which caused a lot of kidneybeaning. I have to say it was pretty sharp and bright (not as sharp as the 8x32 though), but it just didn't feel right.
The Trinovid on the other hand really surprised me. Very comfortable, easy, relaxed view with the "wow" factor.
At last, I did a side by side with the new SLC, and while the SLC was a bit better in some ways (brightness, FOV, CA control, eye relief) the Trinovid had it's other strenghts (colours, contrast, build quality, glare control)
The extra cost of the SLC over the Leica could not be justified for me personally. Needless to say I'm very happy with my new Trinovid.

Regards, Gijs

Last edited:
Many Leica binoculars are made in Portugal. They can be made either in Germany or Portugal. You won't be able to tell the difference. I have an 8x42 Ultravid BL which is made in Portugal.

Bob

Also agreed. I first got to handle them and try them in April of 2014 and I decided then they were as good a view as the "alphas" and I could easily live with them as an "only" binocular if I had too.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back