• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

I will look up the dates Christina but it was many years ago, about 2007. I will ask Michael if he has a note of his bird.
I also had a Long-tailed tit spending the whole winter in the garden of our apartment in Porto Petro. 2006 I believe but I didn't think it was unusual then. Now I know differently!
Thanks for all your hard work promoting birding in Mallorca, we are all learning more about our beautiful Island every day. Mike

Hello,
I don't know where the Singala is, but next Hotel Pollença Park there's one calling every night, the one detected by Hugh Matthews :)

The Singala is up towards the Ila D'Or Hotel, just off the Pine Walk. I found the ones at this end were much more mobile and easier to see. Was just hoping they were still there. Will check when I am there in couple of weeks and report back if no one else does beforehand.

Not sure how unusual it is, but I had a male Ferruginous Duck at Depuradora de S'illot today. It was in the 2nd pond to the north from the viewing deck.

Hi Chris. Brambling is very scarce indeed, I have never seen one in ten years. A few winter in the mountains but finding them is a different matter. I guess that they occasionally occur at lower levels when on return migration so well done, a super bird to see in Mallorca. Mike

Thanks Mike - have some record shot photos should you need them

walked up Puig de Santa Maria near Pollensa today with the family; had a single Red Kite, Black Vulture and Booted Eagle as well as a number of singing Firecrest.

This evening at Can Curassa in very pleasant conditions ( i.e. no wind) 1 Spotless Starling, Whinchat, male Redstart, Green Sand, 2 Osprey and 3 singing Nightingales.

Casas Vellas mid-day: pied flycatcher
La Gola afternoon: male redstart showing well & osprey flew over
S'Albufereta afternoon: 2 ospreys, 2 Bonelli's warblers, wood warbler & subalpine warbler

That's my week finished on the island, sadly, but I've had a great time (on what was not a birding holiday) with many nice birds seen and heard. A big thank you to the La Gola girls��, Mike "the knowledge" Montier��, and all whom I met on my travels. Without fail, fellow birders were always willing to exchange info re current bird locations. I will post some photos once home.
Brian

Hi again, this time from my own computer here in a cold Northampton (4 degrees). I did pop down to Can Cuarassa late pm yesterday having seen the reports, and did indeed find 2 Spotless Starlings in the area around the back of the Club del Sol and neighbouring houses. In the cool of the evening a large crowd (7) and I managed fair views of the Scops but it was not in the tree right by the alley but in the one nearer the PP swimming pool. If my maths is correct 28 birders and hangers-on saw the bird over the last fortnight, as it was very cooperative. I am now reflecting on my visit, and will give a final thought or two in the next couple of days.

We must have just missed you malkoa! We also had a last minute trip up the Boquer too after the rain last night. Loads of Booted circlings, woodchat in the trees on the way up to the finca and a quick glimpse of BR Thrush just past the big boulders. Didn't get far up the valley as it was starting to get dark so missed out on the warblers. But a spectacular view of the fading light over the mountains and a very atmospheric end to the week. Can't wait to return!

Last edited:
Albufereta this AM there were 11 Flamingoes ( overnight increase ) , a Wood Warbler and 2 Redstart in the pines area , 2 stone curlew, Osprey. Last full day so ma get out briefly later but as ever sad to leave Mallorca . Thanks however to all Ive met and who have contributed info on this forum - it adds an extra dimension to the holiday as its great to know what is around and the significance ( or otherwise ) of my own records.

Does anyone know if records on this thread feed into the Mallorca records system ( if indeed such a thing formally exists) ...forgive my ignorance but I just wondered?

Chris

Hi Chris, there is an annual report produced every year, I believe you can view the back issues on line at the GOB website. It is valuable information not only for rarities but also some research and changing trends in bird population. I am not sure if records from here are used in the annuari, I submit all my records to the recorder. Some people send them direct to GOB.
I could post the recorders details on here but will see what he says first. Glad you had a good time, you certainly saw some important birds. Mike

Well, now back home after my first visit to the island. Unfortunately, my wifi in the cottage was very erratic and very slow so it was not possible to update while away.

It was good to meet Christina at La Gola on our last day, especially to learn that I had not been mistaken in believing I had seen Eleanora's Falcon, Christina telling me the first ones had come back in the week.

2 visits to s'Albufera, what a great place! A walk in the Boquer Valley, albeit on (very) windy Wednesday. A trip into the mountains on wet Tuesday, to Lluc. And a lot of time spent in Pollensa and the surrounding area, and Port de Pollensa. What a lovely island and my wife and I will definitely return.

A total of 75 birds were seen/heard and some of the highlights were Black Vulture, Great Reed Warbler, Little Bittern, Redstart, Pied Flycatcher, Black Kite, Audouin's Gull, Serin, Woodchat Strike, Booted Eagle, Lesser Kestrel, Whinchat, Cattle Egret, Cirl Bunting, Purple Swamphen, Black-winged Stilt, Red-knobbed Coot, Marbled Duck, Purple Heron, Kentish Plover, Osprey, Blue Rock Thrush, Spanish Wagtail, Black Redstart, Bonelli's Warbler. I just wish I'd been able to identify the bird calling outside my cottage most nights near Pollensa. It was more rapid and harsh than the recording I have of Scops Owl, but I'm at a loss as to what else it could be.

We will definitely return. My wife loved the fact that we had to walk quite long distances at s'Albufera and we both thought the place was magical. The fields and lanes near our cottage were very fruitful and the island was nothing like 70's package-holiday stereotypes.

Thanks Mike - I actually had a message from GOB and will send Brambling shots

My final walk of this trip yesterday evening at Can Curassa was a very pleasant end as weather was gorgeous and I had 2 Bee Eaters fly in from high and land briefly on wires . Only ones of this trip and always great to see.

Also a fem. Subalpine Warbler and a Red Rumped Swallow in with many other hirundines and loads of Swifts.

Hello Mike and thanx for the heads up on the Cabrera trip , I am signed up , can't wait !

on saturday 9th , while driving on the freeway , at least 2 red-rumped swallows flew over the car , which was really a pretty bad situation for seeing a bird for the 1st time , oh well...are they known to stay over for a while ? also do they nest here ? thanx and have a good day ,

all the best , Fabrice

Hello Fabrice. Not the best way to see a Red-rumped Swallow for the first time! They come through in spring in varying numbers, this year there have been more than normal with over fifty being seen together.
There are some sightings during the summer months but breeding is rare, maybe only one or two known pairs per year. I feel sure that more will be coming through over the next week, lots have been seen at a small reservoir near Palma airport called Bassa de Can Guidet. Have a great time, Mike

Hi Christina, many thanks for the information, however, unfortunately our trip only lasts from this Friday, 15th April, until Friday 29th April (staying at our regular Alcudia Garden Apartotel). I'll try the centre - we usually spend several days both at s'Albufera (particularly in the Bishop Hides for close photography) and s'Albufereta, as well as all of the other wonderful birding places on Majorca.

A few shots from S'Albufera today, Collared Pratincole a pair seen, Little ringed Plover & a Mink.

Attachments

• 7D2_4482_cr 900.jpg
    7D2_4482_cr 900.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 7D2_4373_cr 900.jpg
    7D2_4373_cr 900.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 7D2_4360_cr 900.jpg
    7D2_4360_cr 900.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Hi Joe52. That's a new one on me, I have never seen a Mink here before. Perhaps one of the locals could comment. Enjoy your visit and good birding. Mike

Hi Joe52
Not a mink but a Pine Marten. Lucky to see one, especially in broad daylight. I clearly spend too much time in the Lab when I stay in s'Albufera. If you don't mind me asking, where exactly did you see it?
Very nice!
Martin

Last edited:
Thanks Mike, & thanks for the ID Martin, I was misinformed, it was seen by the boardwalk leading to the info centre.

Joe.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back