• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andrews Sketchpad (1 Viewer)

Loving it!

Take your time. And walk away. Come back when YOU are ready.

Any artist that puts the bird in its landscape is a HERO!

Progress, but now at the stage of doing the sea itself.....still to add more colour and detail to rocks, then the Tern itself last..
DSCN2278.JPG

End of another day, slowly advancing to the end..Ive already identified a few errors along the way, but should get recified before completion...The next scary bit will be the waves.

DSCN2279.JPG

Sorry for the absence.......still fighting with the last attempt, but not allowing enough time to it...
Art classes are getting technical...Done faces and self portraits....Started on the use of Watercolour pencils and still life (crushed can of Coke)

OMG wots happening with this then..?

Hi Andrew from a new member of the forum. Your tern image is progressing very well. Like everyone else, I'm looking forward to the completed work. I was a full time art student last year, and I can vouch for how much that cuts into the time you would like to spend on your own work. However, I did learn a ton, so it was worth it.

Why oh Why is water so damn difficult, keep trying to add detail, before I finish putting in the base colours......
Update - Basics done, Now for the proper detail, oh and the tern.!!!!!

DSCN2292.JPG

Last edited:
It's a great perspective. Do not worry about the water. It is great.

Do the tern and reflect.

Nothing wrong with leaving a piece to come back later. Much later sometimes!

Sometimes the greatest discipline is to walk away!

Time and your subconscious will decide. Even if it takes ages!

I think this is courageous and very beautiful Andrew!

Remember, it should always give you joy! That joy passes on to the recipient.

And I'm getting some of it right now.

nothing on earth like water an almost mystical thing, I never really get it either. settle for something that works and let it go..

Having been away for a few weeks, and found that no one broke in and finished my current painting, whilst I was away....I suppose I should wake up to the fact that I might have to finish it for myself....
Some new material by way of photographs to work from, and spent an interesting Hour watching two young Cormarants chasing small fish (u/k) around, and an egret making the most of the fresh supply being chased towards him.....Tried to photograph the Cormorant underwater, looks like a greased log at high speed.....but have somthing to sketch up when he spent a while preening very close to the edge of the beach...

Look forward to what you come up with. I've got loads of ideas for paintings. But do I ever do them? Life gets in the way of Art? Lack of discipline is why I invented that pretentious excuse! ;)

I agree, weekends if nothing else needs doing in the house / car / garden etc etc..
Loads of ideas and photos from my Holidays but not enough time to sit , think, have a brandy and commit to paper.....
Still learning though, and evening classes are giving me that confidence that Im lacking....

Take your time my friend. There is no absolute rush. It evolves, and it will happen in its own time. It will ring your "doorbell" and invite you to do it. That is the way the "Muse" works for me. The more you try to force it, the farther away you may become from your goal.
I'm sure we, all, look forward to it when it comes. In the meantime, get on with the "stuff of life."
And, whatever you do, bring a smile in remembering your worst moments had an an eventual ending! Because CR@P times don't last forever!;)

Look forward to it when you are ready. There is NO pressure!

wise words there phil, many thanks....the more I look at it the worse the fear becomes and I really do want to see it finished, but the longer I look........the more I fear of c#cking it up.
Anyhow, a morning out with Woodie, and I managed to get some sketching done, first time in many many weeks... Sadly not avian art but a page of grazing SHEEP......
DSCN2611.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back