• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New SLC is on the way... (1 Viewer)

CamerlandNY Doug over at 24hourcampfire is saying that it's 10 years parts and labor and limited lifetime on the optical components. But I don't see any of this written down except for the 10 year bit.

Swaro need to clarify their message, I think. Whatever the warranty is it should be clear what it is.

Last edited:
Been in contact with Swarovski about the 30 year warranty being reduced to 10 years, and was told,

It has become impossible to keep spares for the units 30 years after the last one comes of the production line, therefore the warranty now on all new units will be 10 years.

I was in a bino shop yesterday, with a binoholic behind the desk. He offered me coffee trice, while I was able to test all binoculars of Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, Meopta and Nikon, except for the SE and EDG which he did not have in the shop.
I also tested the Zeiss classic 7x42, Leica Ultravid non-HD, Zeiss Dialyt 8x30 without and with T* and T*P* coating and last but not least 2 versions of the Zeiss 8x56 Nightowl.
I even had a chance to test the Leica Geovid, Zeiss rangefinder, Fujinon 10x70, New Nikon Monarch and a Nikon 8x30 which looked a lot like the SE 8x32 on the outside.

About warranty:
-Swaro gives 25 years on the Swarovision, he said (when I asked about it).
-(his words): Swaro 'includes' the price of the warranty in their bins. They maybe get 2 promille of bins back in warranty which are faulty by bad usage, but they repair them anyway, as it is still cheaper and they feel that it is a good selling point (which it obviously is!). Zeiss and Leica told my binoholic that, even though he insisted they follow Swaro in the warranty service, they don't want to do that, as they feel it would be selling 2 products at the same time.
-Leica gives lifetime warranty on all bins with serial numbers after 1990. So you don't have to be first owner etc. I did not ask what happens after 2020 with your 1990 bin, as I plan on living longer. ;)
-Zeiss gives 10 years, but the Dutch importer adds another 20 years. If the importer is not longer in business, those extra 20 years are lost.

The shopowner reckons he sells about 60% Swaro, 25% Zeiss and 15% Leica. He said bin turnovers are about 700 million a year for Swarovksi, while the crystal counts for around 3.7 billion a year (euro).

While I was there, a representative of Schott was also in the store. He did not say a lot, except that they also deliver to Leica and Swaro. He showed me a cilinder of Schott glass which he claimed has 100% transmission for all visible wavelengths.

About the bino's:
I just tested them in low light conditions on the small print of something in the shop, about 7-8 meters away.

I could read the letters best with one bino: Zeiss 10x56 T*FL
In reference to that one, all others where notably less bright/sharp, but OK, most were still very good for their specifications.

general observations:
1. 10-powered bins were better to read the small print than 8x and 7x. 12x where also fine, even 15x but already quite dark.
2. x32 bins were notably worse, and I think I convinced myself there not to buy a x32 anytime soon for my birding, as I don't mind the extra weight.
3. Almost all Zeiss had quite hard focusknob, while Swaro (a bit surprising for me) and especially Nikon (not surprising) had smooth focus. I guess the shop had a lot of sub-optimal or not-yet-smooth focusing binoculars.

About the 'big' three:
- For the most common configuration in Europe, i.e. 10x42, I tested Leica HD, Zeiss FL and Swarovision side by side, and no surprise here: the Swarovision was the best. It was as sharp and as bright as Zeiss but with better edges and a slight wider FOV and slightly easier view. The Leica was a bit dimmer, but still in the same league. They put a price on the Swarovision about 10% higher than on Leica/Zeiss.
When comparing (even) the Swarovision with the mighty Zeiss 10x56T*FL, the differences were still clear. I think I have something to save money for!
- About the old 8x30 dialyt: nice ergonomics, but the optics are dated. Not worth it anymore for me, to dim and not brilliantly sharp as new ones. I did not see a huge difference between the different coatings. The non-coated was made before 1978 and was as good as the T* (1978-1988) and the T*P* (>1988).
- the Nightowls were sharp and very good, but they are really too heavy to carry around, and the balance is not good (top heavy). The focusing ring turned heavy, and I would not recommend them for quick birding. I would suggest a 8x56 Classic if it does not have to be waterproof.
- The 7x42 Zeiss, Leica and Swaro each have their own fans, but optically, the Zeiss has (unsurprising for me as I own one) the most fascinating view with that wide FOV.
- A pleasant surprise was an SE-like Nikon porro 8x30 for 219€. I almost bought it (but I bought something else!). Everything people rave about in the 8x32 SE, I could see in this example: wide and flat view, very sharp, lightweight and comfortable in the hand (and bad eyecups).
- The meopta were nice, but a little heavy and with (again) a heavy focusring.
- 8x32: The Nikon HG-L 8x32 has nice features (smooth focusing, comfortable to hold), but looked a little dim compared to the big three. The Leica was too small for my hands. The Zeiss had that heavy focusing (again!). I think the Swarovski is the best because it has the best ergonomics and the view is still very good. If there will be a Swarovision 8x32 (in two years, the binoholic said), it will be a winner.

Nice summary. I think the weight is what kept me from the alphas. I like 42mm but not the weight. I have cheap Bushnell Ultras and the 10x42 immediately became my favorite.

But since I like 32mm as well, some day I may move to 30 or 32mm alphas.

Hi Temmie, Thanks for your thoughts on all these binoculars. I was quite surprised that you liked the Swarovision 10x42, I always thought you seemed a little down on Swarovski.
Regards, Steve

I never disliked them, but always thought people somehow overrate them compared to the other brands... My biggest argument not buying them is their price. You can get (until shortly) optical better binoculars for (at least over here) 25% less.

But ofcourse they have their place among the top contenders! (look e.g. at my top 5 binoculars, 2 Swaro's among them (even before I saw the Swarovision!).

- A pleasant surprise was an SE-like Nikon porro 8x30 for 219€. I almost bought it (but I bought something else!). Everything people rave about in the 8x32 SE, I could see in this example: wide and flat view, very sharp, lightweight and comfortable in the hand (and bad eyecups).

Sounds like an E/EII to me - €219 was a good price if it was in good condition - you should have snapped it up:t:

Paul

spot on, Paskman, it was a E/EII type!
I thought, from pictures, that the EII had a more 'classic' looked compared to the more modern SE, but it seems I haven't paid enough attention ;)

If I have a little more money, and as the salesman said people were not really interested in porros nowadays, I may have a second chance in the near future...

I think it is time for a Rep. from Swarovski to chime in here about the warranty. Dale Forbes you seem to
reply when the time is right. What do you say?

Last edited:
The online documentation for the US warranty is vague but, as I have posted before, the documents that came with my SVs plainly state that they have a lifetime warranty to owners living in the US.

I don't know much, but I know that much ;)

The new SLC HD binoculars are now showing as in stock at some of the internet retailers.

Who will be the first to report how they compare ?

The new SLC HDbinoculars are now showing as in stock at some of the internet retailers.

Who will be the first to report how they compare ?

Yes, we did just get our first shipment of the SLC HD's today. I saw NDhunter's post and decided to check out the 8x42's and compare them with the Swarovison EL's.
First off, the SLC's are about 1/2" shorter in length.
The diopter control is now integrated into the focus wheel like on the EL's.
The field of view on the SLC's is in fact wider than the SV's (+.2 deg). I guess that is accounted for by the additional .5x power on the SV.

The optics between the two appear to be identical, minus the field flattener/rolling ball effect. Disclaimer here: I own a pair of the 8.5x SV's and am not sensitive to this phenomenon. As I look to the edge of my FOV, the resolution certainly softens on the SLC's where the SV's stays sharp. Having said that, the SLC HD's sweet spot is quite good and typical with what I have observed with the Leica HD's, which I consider to have excellent edge sharpness. Resolution at a distance on both pieces is superb.

I was told the SLC HD's would use the same fluoride infused glass (HD) as the SV's and that would appear to be the case. Personally, I'll take the edge sharpness of the SV's any day. If you're not a fan of the "rolling ball" but otherwise like the view through the SV's, than the new SLC HD's are the bino for you.

Included is an excellent upgraded case (now included with the SV's as well) along with a Limited Lifetime Warranty card. Hat's off to Swarovski on this one. :t:

Ben

Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics
www.eagleoptics.com

Yes, we did just get our first shipment of the SLC HD's today. I saw NDhunter's post and decided to check out the 8x42's and compare them with the Swarovison EL's.
First off, the SLC's are about 1/2" shorter in length.
The diopter control is now integrated into the focus wheel like on the EL's.
The field of view on the SLC's is in fact wider than the SV's (+.2 deg). I guess that is accounted for by the additional .5x power on the SV.

The optics between the two appear to be identical, minus the field flattener/rolling ball effect. Disclaimer here: I own a pair of the 8.5x SV's and am not sensitive to this phenomenon. As I look to the edge of my FOV, the resolution certainly softens on the SLC's where the SV's stays sharp. Having said that, the SLC HD's sweet spot is quite good and typical with what I have observed with the Leica HD's, which I consider to have excellent edge sharpness. Resolution at a distance on both pieces is superb.

I was told the SLC HD's would use the same fluoride infused glass (HD) as the SV's and that would appear to be the case. Personally, I'll take the edge sharpness of the SV's any day. If you're not a fan of the "rolling ball" but otherwise like the view through the SV's, than the new SLC HD's are the bino for you.

Included is an excellent upgraded case (now included with the SV's as well) along with a Limited Lifetime Warranty card. Hat's off to Swarovski on this one. :t:

Ben

Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics
www.eagleoptics.com
On the 10X the eye relief on the SLC also seems to be quite a bit shorter. It is 16 mm on the SLC vs. 20 mm on the SV. Is this likely to be an issue? I need a lot of eye relief. Would be nice to hear from someone who is able to compare them.

Mike

slc hd vs el sv

Sorry if i seem a bit confused here but can someone please explain the advantages the EL's have over the SLC's ? , i was pretty close to buying a pair of EL's but now the arrival of the SLC's have really confused me , it seems the new SLC's are superb but without the rolling ball effect and roughly £150 cheaper so now iam hoping someone here may put my mind at rest ! thank you in anticipation :eek!:

Zipolly, Reread post #96 above from Ben. Softer edges on the SLC HD. It would be best to try before buying if possible.
Regards,Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back