• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine Falcon (1 Viewer)

UgashikBob

I only managed a couple quick heavily cropped photos taken from my front deck 80 miles south of Katmai National Park. My only bird book has a photo of a Peregrine falcon looking from the top down and is hard to compare. This one seems to have a narrower moustache than shown in my book.

Attachments

• 20120212-3N1G0877.jpg
    20120212-3N1G0877.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 20120212-3N1G0880.jpg
    20120212-3N1G0880.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 148
Hi Bob. Looks good for Juv. Curious if might be F. peregrinus (pealei)
Seems tad darker,just a touch more heavily spotted than "kids" around here.

Bill:
I googled (pealei) and was amazed to see a total of 19 different species of Peregrine's. Lots of info but not much in the line of photographs to compare. Also found the Northern Hobby (Falco Subbuteo) that has the narrower facial bars and more vertical bars on the chest.
I think this a non migratory bird as I have seen similiar ones several times a year. Hoping I can get a better photo.

Never considered the Hobby,Bob. Have to educate myself in that regard,always a good thing.Thanks for info.

Last edited:
What I can tell you is its not a Hobby because the bird in the pic is far too heavier build.A Hobby is smaller & of slighter build.

Steve.

These two excellent shots would show the typical rufous trousers of a Hobby... and they don't. A Hobby it ain't...

Juvenile Peregrine, they have narrower moustaches and cheek patchs than adults. It would be highly unlikely to be an Northern / Eurasian Hobby as, as far as I know, they've never been recorded from North America and, as others have said, it would have rufous 'trousers' and be far less bulky.

Chris

Juvenile Peregrine, they have narrower moustaches and cheek patchs than adults. It would be highly unlikely to be an Northern / Eurasian Hobby as, as far as I know, they've never been recorded from North America and, as others have said, it would have rufous 'trousers' and be far less bulky.

Chris

Did input hobby to ebird, output a few sightings west end of Aleutian's.
No output for continental NA. Eurasian Hobby BTW.

I had also seen the Hobby sightings in the Western Aleutians and we are located on the Alaska Peninsula quite a bit east of there but have had some very strange weather patterns this year.
I agree on the juvenile Peregrine. Even though it is a unusual sighting I hope to get better photos of it. Thank you for your input.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back