• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare Swarovski Habicht 8X30 DF W O GA (1 Viewer)

My note to Saudi Arabia

was kicked back as an invalid email address but am waiting for response to note sent to Swarovski Optik United Emerates.

Some pticures from the dealer I bought my DF.

Attachments

• 复件DS~3.JPG
    复件DS~3.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 372
  • 复件DS~2.JPG
    复件DS~2.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 318
was kicked back as an invalid email address but am waiting for response to note sent to Swarovski Optik United Emerates.

first hi to all...
and im a saudi citizen and i do have the same df 8x30 swarovski binoculars the green rubber armo...
and any need or help im here for that if u like to ask....
my regards...

Hi and thanks for your post

If you have any idea, folks here would like to know how limited that model was and if it might still be available.

If you have any idea, folks here would like to know how limited that model was and if it might still be available.

i know the owner of the company and we hunt together and he order the df 8x30 & 10 x40 model for military reason for the national guard to stand 55 celsius sun heat...
and its one of the best swarovski binoculars ever made...and the 8x30 model its no longer available...and there is few item of 10x40 and its 4000 saudi riyal around(1066) dollars...
i own the swarovski el range 10x42 and the df 8x30 its much better and sold the el and i kept my df 8x30...

i know the owner of the company and we hunt together and he order the df 8x30 & 10 x40 model for military reason for the national guard to stand 55 celsius sun heat...
and its one of the best swarovski binoculars ever made...and the 8x30 model its no longer available...and there is few item of 10x40 and its 4000 saudi riyal around(1066) dollars...
i own the swarovski el range 10x42 and the df 8x30 its much better and sold the el and i kept my df 8x30...

Alotaibi,

Welcome! That's some endorsement. You sold your EL after buying the 8x30 DF. Too bad they are all gone!

That makes more sense that the DFs were ordered for the military and are secondarily being used for hunting.

I know there are a lot of wealthy Saudis, but the idea that a group of hunters were able to coax Swarovski into making a special batch of non-reticle DFs just for them seemed a bit far fetched.

The question I have for you and xu42 is how hard is it to turn the EP diopters on the 8x30 DFs?

I had a Fujinon 6x30 FMTR-SX with IF EPs, and the eyepiece diopters were very hard to turn. Since my focus accommodation isn't what it used to be when I was younger, I had to do a lot of focusing and eventually got frustrated and sold the Fujis despite their amazing optics.

I guess it's a moot point now that all the 8x30s have been sold, but I'm still curious about how hard it is to turn the IF EPs.

It's also of interest because people have reported that the CF 8x30 Habicht has a stiff focuser. My experience with WP porros is that the focusers tend to be stiff because of the tight sealing required to make them waterproof.

For hunting where you are viewing at long distances, this might not be an issue. However, for birding and general use where you are often changing distances, a stiff focuser -- on TWO diopters no less -- would be a deal killer for me.

Brock

Last edited:
Alotaibi,

Welcome! That's some endorsement. You sold your EL after buying the 8x30 DF. Too bad they are all gone!

That makes more sense that the DFs were ordered for the military and are secondarily being used for hunting.

I know there are a lot of wealthy Saudis, but the idea that a group of hunters were able to coax Swarovski into making a special batch of non-reticle DFs just for them seemed a bit far fetched.

The question I have for you and xu42 is how hard is it to turn the EP diopters on the 8x30 DFs?

I had a Fujinon 6x30 FMTR-SX with IF EPs, and the eyepiece diopters were very hard to turn. Since my focus accommodation isn't what it used to be when I was younger, I had to do a lot of focusing and eventually got frustrated and sold the Fujis despite their amazing optics.

I guess it's a moot point now that all the 8x30s have been sold, but I'm still curious about how hard it is to turn the IF EPs.

It's also of interest because people have reported that the CF 8x30 Habicht has a stiff focuser. My experience with WP porros is that the focusers tend to be stiff because of the tight sealing required to make them waterproof.

For hunting where you are viewing at long distances, this might not be an issue. However, for birding and general use where you are often changing distances, a stiff focuser -- on TWO diopters no less -- would be a deal killer for me.

Brock

hi brocknroller...

first i was so clear when i said it was especially made for military reason for the national guard to stand 55 celsius sun heat...(and its not for wealthy Saudis hunters how coax Swarovski into making a special batch of non-reticle DFs)...
and if there a some itam more and its used by hunters that dos not mean they r the one order the swarovski...
and it is the best binoculars out there...
why!!!
i will tell u why:: we have so bad weather here its from 60% to 70 % of the year hot and the (el range its nitrogen filled) when it so hot u can c nothing until it cool back... and the df it doesn't do that...and im so happy with my df...

Last edited:
hi brocknroller...

first i was so clear when i said it was especially made for military reason for the national guard to stand 55 celsius sun heat...(and its not for wealthy Saudis hunters how coax Swarovski into making a special batch of non-reticle DFs)...
and if there a some itam more and its used by hunters that dos not mean they r the one order the swarovski...
and it is the best binoculars out there...
why!!!
i will tell u why:: we have so bad weather here its from 60% to 70 % of the year hot and the (el range its nitrogen filled) when it so hot u can c nothing until it cool back... and the df it doesn't do that...and im so happy with my df...

Alotaibi,

Yes, it was clear when you said the DFs were made especially made for military reasons. That was my point.

Earlier, before you joined the discussion, xu42 wrote in post #11, page 1:

"As I knew, the rich people in Mid East made these orders for their hunting purpose. These DFs are not military orders."

So all of us here we're thinking these Swarovski DF Habichts were made for Saudi hunters. That didn't quite make sense to me, because US hunters would be a much larger market, but that's what was said.

The fact that they were made for the Saudi national guard makes more sense. That would be a large order worth Swarovski's time.

Brock

Alotaibi,

Yes, it was clear when you said the DFs were made especially made for military reasons. That was my point.

Earlier, before you joined the discussion, xu42 wrote in post #11, page 1:

"As I knew, the rich people in Mid East made these orders for their hunting purpose. These DFs are not military orders."

So all of us here we're thinking these Swarovski DF Habichts were made for Saudi hunters. That didn't quite make sense to me, because US hunters would be a much larger market, but that's what was said.

The fact that they were made for the Saudi national guard makes more sense. That would be a large order worth Swarovski's time.

Brock

My DF came with luxury green commerical package, standard manual for all other habicht model, and a 30-year warranty card. Without laserfilter and reticle. I don't believe the military need all those value added service.
My friend has a serious military habicht, see picture:

Attachments

• ~1.JPG
    ~1.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 721
  • 调0ED4~1.JPG
    调0ED4~1.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 571
  • 调整大~3.JPG
    调整大~3.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 486
Alotaibi,

So all of us here we're thinking these Swarovski DF Habichts were made for Saudi hunters. That didn't quite make sense to me, because US hunters would be a much larger market,

Brock

brocknroller...

i agree with u :t::t::t::t: but what i know and believe that they did that for market competition between ziess and swarovski on the Saudi national guard because ziess had abig deal with them;);););)

My DF came with luxury green commerical package, standard manual for all other habicht model, and a 30-year warranty card. Without laserfilter and reticle. I don't believe the military need all those value added service.
My friend has a serious military habicht, see picture:

It is curious, i never saw any Habichts with screws at this place of the body.
I never saw blue coatings on Habicht lenses.
This pair must be pretty old, it seems not to be a real Habicht, i just say seems.
It remembers me the article of Merlitz about the "fake" Jenoptems
http://www.holgermerlitz.de/jenoptem.html
I gotta stop beeing that paranoid lol

Last edited:
I asked my friend in Saudi. He is a friend of Swarovski representative of Saudi. The representative told my friend Saudi military did order DFs few years ago. The serial # start with the letter "S", with reticle. The civilian DFs, mine hunter version, serial # start with the letter "B".

I asked my friend in Saudi. He is a friend of Swarovski representative of Saudi. The representative told my friend Saudi military did order DFs few years ago. The serial # start with the letter "S", with reticle. The civilian DFs, mine hunter version, serial # start with the letter "B".

As I mentioned earlier the Swarovski's pictured in the Japanese website were manufactured in 2000 which definitely qualifies for a "few years ago". The S at the beginning of the serial number probably denotes stadia. We talk about military binoculars with range finding reticles which simply means it has stadia or parallel lines.

The serial number on your binos indicate a 2010 manufacturing date but I'm not sure what your serial number beginning with B indicates. Of course Zeiss uses the B to indicate longer eye relief, not sure if Swarovski has ever done the same. I've seen a couple of the rubber armored Habichts (center focus) but the serial numbers on them began with the letter A. I'm also not sure what the letter O indicates in your model's designation (DF 8x30 W O GA)

Steve

It is curious, i never saw any Habichts with screws at this place of the body.
I never saw blue coatings on Habicht lenses.
This pair must be pretty old, it seems not to be a real Habicht, i just say seems.
It remembers me the article of Merlitz about the "fake" Jenoptems
http://www.holgermerlitz.de/jenoptem.html
I gotta stop beeing that paranoid lol

The three crowns and the text on the case show that it originally Swedish military. They have sold lots of surplus stuff since the end of the Cold War, some of it unused.

It is probably from 1970's or early 80's, it has the old diamond-shaped "SWAROVSKI-OPTIK TIROL" logo on the left prism housing. At that time they used blue lens coating called Ceralin. it gives a yellow color to the image.

I have a Finnish surplus Habicht 8x30w which has the same extra screws, similar rubber armour with diamond logo, raincover and blue-coated lenses. My Swaro has the original green leather case, rubber objective caps, and reticle, but not laser filters. It is optically in very good condition, but the case and the bare metal parts of the bridge have wear marks.

The three crowns and the text on the case show that it originally Swedish military. They have sold lots of surplus stuff since the end of the Cold War, some of it unused.

It is probably from 1970's or early 80's, it has the old diamond-shaped "SWAROVSKI-OPTIK TIROL" logo on the left prism housing. At that time they used blue lens coating called Ceralin. it gives a yellow color to the image.

I have a Finnish surplus Habicht 8x30w which has the same extra screws, similar rubber armour with diamond logo, raincover and blue-coated lenses. My Swaro has the original green leather case, rubber objective caps, and reticle, but not laser filters. It is optically in very good condition, but the case and the bare metal parts of the bridge have wear marks.

Optolyth advertises using “Cerulin-Plus” multi-coatings on their Alpin porros, which they claim have "high-fidelity color transmission, that is the most accurate and natural of any binocular made."

So apparently the new Cerulin/Ceralin coatings have eliminated the yellow cast. They had better at those prices!

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/product_info.php?cPath=11&products_id=445

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back