• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My review of EL 8x32 WB Swarovision and more (1 Viewer)

Most normal people I believe would prefer the Swarovision view over the Zeiss HT. They would notice the sharp edges and flat field more than they would the little extra brightness of the HT. That's why Swaro's sell so many more binoculars. I had the little Swarovision out at dusk tonite and it is not exactly dim. In tough conditions it really shines.

Define "normal" please ?

Swarovski is simply the in vogue binocular at the moment.

You infer they sell "so many" because they are "better", please then explain the piece of optical mediocrity that is the CL, totally outclassed by Zess, Vortex, Meopta, Opticron.....................

I predict you will fall for the HT and will suffer verbal diarrhea when you do.

Hmmm. I am going to have to look through one. They are opening a new Cabella's pretty close to us in about two weeks. Maybe they will have one. I don't think Sportsman's Warehouse has any. Swarovski's sell so much better that is mainly what all these stores have in stock even Cabella's. They have very few Zeiss but every model of Swaro. About the only Zeiss they have is the Conquest. Most normal people I believe would prefer the Swarovision view over the Zeiss HT. They would notice the sharp edges and flat field more than they would the little extra brightness of the HT. That's why Swaro's sell so many more binoculars. I had the little Swarovision out at dusk tonite and it is not exactly dim. In tough conditions it really shines.

It's way more than just a little brightness, but you need to bird with them to really appreciate things like better contrast in poor light, better glare control, less lateral CA, better apparent sharpness in most conditions and [especially] incredible detail recognition in low light. A shop window comparison will tell you almost nothing useful.

To me, the view pops with an electric sharpness / contrast that I haven't seen in any other alpha. Torview put it best - like peeling a protective layer off to reveal perfect transparency.

SP - sorry for taking this off-topic.....

Last edited:
Well ...... don't leave us hangin' Bruce!

What are the two answers ??! ;)

Chosun :gh:

No answers at this point. I just saw enough to raise the questions in my mind. For this particular sample, the first impression was a small center for the price and the edge blur was subjectively moderate. I need to see some more samples with out the focus issue before drawing any conclusions. If my initial impression is correct, then the next question is to decide if the center view is that much better than the other alphas that it outweighs what is lost outside the center. Please keep in mind that my primary binocular is a Nikon EDG so I put more weight on a large center view for a high end binocular than other forum members may. The sales rep has spent time looking through them (HT) and thought the center view was excellent.

Last edited:
320 degrees? That would be about 0.9 turns. Really? Wow, that is fast.

That is from stop (close focus) to infinity, not stop to stop. From stop to stop, full rotation of the focus knob is .....

EDG II 10X42 is close to 400 degrees
EDG I 10X32 is about 385 degrees.

I am not sure if the EDG is that fast compared to others. I just checked a Zen-Ray ED3 10X43 from stop to infinity and it appears to have a little less rotation. I do not get the feeling from any of them that they are to fast as I do not have a problem of overshooting when changing focus.

Seems I recall Brock mentioning that some of the models in what is now the Premier roof line were even faster.

Last edited:
That is from stop (close focus) to infinity, not stop to stop. From stop to stop, full rotation of the focus knob is .....

I not sure if the EDG is that fast compared to others. I just checked a Zen-Ray ED3 10X43 from stop to infinity and it appears to have a little less rotation. I do not get the feeling from any of them that they are to fast as I do not have a problem of overshooting when changing focus.

Seems I recall Brock mentioning that some of models in what is now the Premier roof line were even faster.

Yep, the Nikon 8x32 HG/HGL goes from close focus (6 ft. for my eyes) to infinity in less than half a turn, that's because there is a fair amount of focus travel before close focus. Some bins there's hardly any, only after infinity to accommodate for different diopters.

At close focus (or close in) the focus is precise, and at far distance, it's also easy to get on your target without overshooting, but in the middle distance I had trouble hitting my target w/out overshooting it because the combo of fast focus and a short FL roof gives a 2-D impression of the environment. It was like trying to either focus on the canvas or the top of the swirls of paint in a Van Gogh painting. I called the view "slice of life" because there isn't much separation between the foreground and background when you're focusing on a bird at medium distances.

I developed the strategy of purposely overshooting the bird and then toggling back. Doing it the other way required very small turns of the focus wheel until I crept up on it. So here you are with a fast focuser, so you can on the bird quickly, but when you get there fine tuning the focus was cumbersome. Defeats the purpose, IMO, but perhaps those with better focus accommodation have less trouble with this.

The "static view" was so good that I put up with the focuser issues and the awkward ergonomics for my hands (users with smaller hands might find it more comfy) for three years. Best color saturation and contrast I've seen in a bin until I tried an EDG, which took it one step beyond.

Btw, there is a "like new" 8x32 LX on sale for $475 on Astromart. If you are not overly sensitive to CA, can hold a small (but fat) roof comfortably, and can handle a fast focuser, it's hard to beat the view at that price. It's almost alpha.

It's also only an ounce heavier than the LXL version. I like the optics better on the original LX version, colors are truer to the eye. The "L" version adds too much warmth.

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=823220

Brock

Last edited:

I not sure if the EDG is that fast compared to others. I just checked a Zen-Ray ED3 10X43 from stop to infinity and it appears to have a little less rotation. I do not get the feeling from any of them that they are to fast as I do not have a problem of overshooting when changing focus.

Seems I recall Brock mentioning that some of models in what is now the Premier roof line were even faster.

That is about what I get from my 10 x 32 EDG I too.

The 10 x 32 LX L I have is noticeably faster and has less than a 360º complete turn.

Bob

I think Swarovski should include a two-week supply of Dramamine to use during the adjustment period to counteract the dizziness and disorientation. Could be a good cross-promotion with Swaro and the manufacturer of the drug.

With the ZR 7x36 ED2, the "rolling BOWL" from excessive pincushion was most noticeable while titling the bins up and down tree trunks. Caused the trees to bend inward instead of bulge outward like RB.

I only used Dramamine once when I was taking aerial photos from a helicopter with a bubble cockpit. It's like sitting on a flying carpet. The manager from the company I worked for who went up with me recommended taking it.

I was glad I did, and so was the pilot whose helicopter had turned into a "vomit comet" when those who thought they could endure the motion sickness were wrong. He has special, oversized vomit wipers inside the windshields, and also a bottle of disinfectant, JIC. ;)

<B>

Actually I'm prone with seeing RB in most binocular I tested and used. The first one was Nikon Action 7x50 when I started birdwatching. Then last year, after using 8x binocular for a long time, trying back the 10x42 Leica BN belongs to my friend, caused headache for few minutes because of the 10x power.

So my decision last time to settle on 8x was right and I also cannot get a proper view when using the 10x. My hand shakes a bit even though I'm only 32 years old... |=(|

That's why every time I was asked which binocular is the best, the only way is to try by themselves. Feel the ergonomic, the field of view, ease of focusing etc hehehe ;)

So far, most birders I met recently during the 1st Borneo Bird Race and 5th Borneo Bird Festival, were impressed with the 8x32 SV. The ability to removed the eyecup for cleaning is a bonus they said. Plus it is lighter without the need to use the bino harness :king:

But they did not see the RB!

Horukuru, I think this is not too far off topic (the title of the thread is "...and more" and in the original post a Nikon Action is mentioned). I wonder: did you experience RB with the N. Ac. 8x40? I once did (well, RB or something similar), panning horizontally, so much that I've been suspecting it was not a genuine Nikon!

Last edited:
Correction

............. Bass Pro is not much better but I think they did have the HD and they also had the new Leupold Hawthorne as did Cabella's. ............

Oops....That should read Leupold McKinley rather than Hawthorne.

Actually I'm prone with seeing RB in most binocular I tested and used. The first one was Nikon Action 7x50 when I started birdwatching. Then last year, after using 8x binocular for a long time, trying back the 10x42 Leica BN belongs to my friend, caused headache for few minutes because of the 10x power.

So my decision last time to settle on 8x was right and I also cannot get a proper view when using the 10x. My hand shakes a bit even though I'm only 32 years old... |=(|

That's why every time I was asked which binocular is the best, the only way is to try by themselves. Feel the ergonomic, the field of view, ease of focusing etc hehehe ;)

So far, most birders I met recently during the 1st Borneo Bird Race and 5th Borneo Bird Festival, were impressed with the 8x32 SV. The ability to removed the eyecup for cleaning is a bonus they said. Plus it is lighter without the need to use the bino harness :king:

But they did not see the RB!

My neighbor had an Action IV 8x40 that showed RB while panning, though it was mild compared to the full sized HGLs, which I found disorienting because the distortion (AMD) was so severe.

Do you drink coffee or caffeinated soft drinks such as Coke or Pepsi? Those will make the shakes worse.

<B>

Do you drink coffee or caffeinated soft drinks such as Coke or Pepsi? Those will make the shakes worse.

<B>

Yeah almost daily when I first started working in tourism. After I got married, the amount taken for carbonated drink has reduced except for coffee hehehe. I think coffee is better than Coke...

Yeah almost daily when I first started working in tourism. After I got married, the amount taken for carbonated drink has reduced except for coffee hehehe. I think coffee is better than Coke...

So you're a coke head, too? No wonder you get the shakes! :-O

You'll never be able to use a 10x bin until you eliminate all stimulants from your diet. I found that birding right after I eat also increases the shakes, because my heart "beats louder than a big brass drum" after I eat. OTOH, going too long w/out eating can give you low blood sugar, which will give you the shakes.

So a light meal rather than a big meal is better to have before you head out to watch birds, and if you're out all day, take a protein snack so you're blood sugar doesn't get too low.

A sugary snack like a candy bar will send your blood sugar up and then crashing down, so either complex carbs (grains), veggies, or protein (i.e, cheese) is best to have as a snack (and no caffeinated beverages, particularly Red Bull! Not sure if they have that on Sabah).

<B>

You'll never be able to use a 10x bin until you eliminate all stimulants from your diet.

<B>

So its my coffee habit that explains my enthusiasm for my Canon 10x42ISL!
I'd never have guessed that without the help of BF.

Now all we need is to discover what causes 'rolling ball'.
I think it is chocolate.

You'll never be able to use a 10x bin until you eliminate all stimulants from your diet. I found that birding right after I eat also increases the shakes, because my heart "beats louder than a big brass drum" after I eat. OTOH, going too long w/out eating can give you low blood sugar, which will give you the shakes.

So a light meal rather than a big meal is better to have before you head out to watch birds, and if you're out all day, take a protein snack so you're blood sugar doesn't get too low.

A sugary snack like a candy bar will send your blood sugar up and then crashing down, so either complex carbs (grains), veggies, or protein (i.e, cheese) is best to have as a snack (and no caffeinated beverages, particularly Red Bull! Not sure if they have that on Sabah).

<B>

When I'm on tours, breakfast usually starts around 5.30 AM and I tend to eat only a bit even though I will be out on the field until 11 AM, I always have some snacks especially pineapple cookies and buns with me. The Red Bull is available in my place too.

Now I'm learning how to get proper view when using one hand on the 8x32 SV. It is comfortable to hold with one hand either left or right :king:

When I'm on tours, breakfast usually starts around 5.30 AM and I tend to eat only a bit even though I will be out on the field until 11 AM, I always have some snacks especially pineapple cookies and buns with me. The Red Bull is available in my place too.

Now I'm learning how to get proper view when using one hand on the 8x32 SV. It is comfortable to hold with one hand either left or right :king:

I assume you're learning how to use the 8x32 SV EL with one hand so you can hold your coffee cup in the other.B :)

Just remember to keep the "coffeeguard" on the EPs. ;)

<B>

Who needs 10x when he can have a good coffee and a 8x?
More important, what kind of coffee?

Ah good question. There is a local coffee planted in my place known as Tenom Coffee and Bundu Tuhan Coffee. The former at lowland about 4 hours drive from Kota Kinabalu city and the latter near the famous Mt. Kinabalu. I preferred from the mountain. Smell good and tastier hehehe. There is also the only organic tea in Borneo known as Sabah Tea at the mountain.

In the morning at Mt. Kinabalu, I used the Swarovski STX 95 scope, looking through the eyepiece at the same time the smell from the coffee wakes me up. Perfect combo!

Sounds very good. Do they export raw coffee? As a home roaster, I would really like to give your mountain-variety a try.

So far that I know, they do not export to other places. Only for local market. Maybe I can try and send you one if you attend the ITB Berlin from 8-9 March 2014 http://www.itb-berlin.de/en/ the staffs from Sabah Tourism (exhibitor) can pass you the coffee ;)

Are you guys insane? Imagine the response at airport security, when they´re told "Honestly guys, it´s only coffee, I´m delivering it to a guy I´ve never met, who enquired about it on a bird-watching forum during a conversation ostensibly about expensive Austrian binoculars...". People get Renditioned Extraordinarily that way!;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back