• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Swarovski 15x56 SLC (1 Viewer)

MPeoples

15x56 SLC

THE LONG RANGE EXPERT
KEY FEATURES
 HD Optical System: The entire optical system is specifically designed and adjusted
to the fluoride High Definition objective lenses. This unique manufacturing method
optimizes the purpose of HD glass in the new SLC.
 Magnesium Housing: Maximizes strength while being approximately 30% lighter
than commonly used aluminum alloy housings.
 Monochrome Rubber Armoring: The new SLC series magnesium housing is now
completely covered in a rubber armoring with 2 different textures for maximum
protection and handling comfort.
 Compact design: The use of the Abbe-König roof prism system enables a more
slender design for smaller hands and an all-round steadier hold.
 Eye relief: 23% more eye relief over previous model – 16.0 mm
 Reduced Weight: 7% lighter than previous model – only 42 ounces!
 Increased Light Transmission: 6% greater light transmission over previous model
 Wider Field of View: increased to 234 ft @ 1000 yds
 Edge to Edge Sharpness: Improved edge to edge clarity, especially when
compared to the competition.
 4 Position Eyecups: The 4 positions in conjunction with the longer eye relief offer
greater viewing comfort and 100% Field of View for eyeglass wearers.

AVAILABILITY
January 2014
58291 SLC 15x56 WB $2,777.00 MSRP

Best
Mike

15x56 SLC

THE LONG RANGE EXPERT
KEY FEATURES
....................
Edge to Edge Sharpness: Improved edge to edge clarity, especially when
compared to the competition.
Best
Mike

Since it says "Edge to Edge", does that mean the 15X56 will have Swarovision technology of lens flatteners or does it just mean a larger center view than the previous model?

Looks to be about an $800 price increase, so maybe it does have Swarovsion, but that is inconsistent with what was the SLC product line.

They must be kidding with only 16mm eye relief. Even the new pocket Swaros are said to have 17mm ER.

Last edited:
Mike,

Can you post or direct us to details and specs for the other new models besides the 15x56?

Henry

Edit: I see that Swarovski's light transmission spec for the current 15x56 SLC is 88%. 6% higher would be 94%, the highest for any Swarovski roof prism binocular.

Last edited:
They must be kidding with only 16mm eye relief, Even the new pocket Swaros are said to have 17mm ER.

Elky

Nothing wrong with 16mm providing the eyecup delivers your eye up to it correctly.

Bigger ERs are meaningless if the eyecup isn't designed accordingly.

Need to try them out rather than just go by the specs.

Lee

The 10x42 SLC HD has 16mm ER and I can't use them with eyeglasses.

Ed

PS. My 8x42 SLC HD has 18.5mm ER and it's fantastic!

Last edited:
Since it says "Edge to Edge", does that mean the 15X56 will have Swarovision technology of lens flatteners or does it just mean a larger center view than the previous model?

Looks to be about an $800 price increase, so maybe it does have Swarovsion, but that is inconsistent with what was the SLC product line.

The $800 extra is to help them recoup their costs on the new design including the EP redesign and the "HD" glass, and simply because they are Swarovski and they can charge whatever they damn well please and people will still buy them. ;)

I doubt if they have Swarovision technology, otherwise, they would advertise it in the ad. Even Tasco advertises "edge to edge" sharpness so you can't take that marketing speak too seriously, but that would be a marvelous feat for a bin with a 66.8* AFOV.

Its curious that unlike the 8x and 10x42 models, Swaro isn't calling the rest of the line SLC-HD just plain SLC.

Be nice if they also increased the FOV on the 8x56 model. 8x56 bins almost always have moderate FsOV compared to 8x42s.

<B>

Last edited:
I had been hoping for a premium bin in this configuration for some time. On a monopod it would be a good solution for seawatching and other long-range birding and would also be more relaxing long term than a scope.

However, I agree with Ed that the eye relief at 16 mm is inadequate or at best marginal.

Assuming a focal ratio of f/4 the 15x56 would require 15 mm focal length eyepieces and the 10x32 SV 13 mm. The little SV though manages to achieve 20 mm eye relief, so I think Swarovski could have done better in this respect.

John

The 8x56 sale #s are so low in the US that they might not even be offered here. They would be a special order model.

But they will sell like hotcakes in Europe. Americans are too fat to carry heavy bins. ;)

Wayne Mones, formerly of Better View Desired, now doing reviews for Audubon Magazine, had high praise for the 8x56 SLC because of the quality of the image. Probably for the same reason Henry likes his 8x56 FL.

Here's his short review:

http://magblog.audubon.org/size-matters-case-really-big-binoculars

<B>

Mike,

Can you post or direct us to details and specs for the other new models besides the 15x56?

Henry

Edit: I see that Swarovski's light transmission spec for the current 15x56 SLC is 88%. 6% higher would be 94%, the highest for any Swarovski roof prism binocular.

Hi Henry,

Swarovski only sent the 15x56 model info, I posted the 8x42 and 10x42 specs before this one. They did not note anything about a 8x56 model.

Mike

Just placed our order for the new 15x56s and Feb is now the expected arrival month. And they could go on backorder quickly.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see anything written there. Did you get this from a phone conversation?

Ed

Nope. A quick call to Swarovski reveals that the company is simply dropping the HD designation, and will call them all just SLCs. But, all new SLCs will have HD glass! The way to tell older non-HD optics is by the appearance of the armoring.

Relax. Things are just getting more confusing. 8-P

Ed

When I posted that link to B&H earlier today it clearly stated "Discontinued" but I just checked and now it listed as in stock. Sorry, I'll try to edit my earlier comment.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back