• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

Nick, The last sequenced piece was fantastic. It looked a little touch and go for a brief moment, but you pulled it together. For me, it is exactly how I would see a small bird within a turbulent mix of greenery/ surrounding life. Nice one!

Not sure what's going on with my paintings at the moment, I'm doing a lot more work in them than usual: here is a redo of those windy bee eaters for a competition, not sure whether to send this one or the original..:smoke:

Attachments

• guepiers.jpg
    guepiers.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 110
I think I'll send in the new version anyway, something about doing it especially, maybe it's a subconscious thing. Shame the sun isn't like that here at the moment!

I'd go for the new version too. It's maybe the reproduction, but the birds are more colourful in the new version, just how I imagine bee eaters to be. Not been lucky enough to see any yet though...

Mike

Been quiet on the forum for the last few days as I've been balancing nighttime insomnia, seven o'clock starts and afternoon siestas with setting tests and painting. So here are the paintings:

The Goosanders started life on a painting that went wrong (remember a female goosander sitting with her chicks??) I painted over a version of it that was infinished all in black to use in a collage of goosanders (yay recycling) but then decided to use it as a base for a painting of different goosanders (yay recycling the birds now!)

The starlings are a copy of one from last year, but more realistic and less 'cubist', I may enter this one for the competition (Wildscape magazine in case anyone's going to have a go) but unless I get off my a*se and send something, I won't enter.

The pochards and tufties is a relief, I thought my days of painting groups of diving ducks were over when I moved here, thinking that tufties were rare, luckily there are usually a few on the river now.

Still got to paint that chamois, thinking about doing a wax crayon drawing with watercolour over the top, get some texture and all that.

Attachments

• pics jan 003.jpg
    pics jan 003.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 99
  • pics jan 004.jpg
    pics jan 004.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 89
  • pics jan 005.jpg
    pics jan 005.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 89
And as I've now got a bike pump (rather than a straw) I inflated my tyres and actually did a 20km round trip without getting knackered before the end of the street! Shame there weren't many birds really. Little Grebes and Goosanders, the sketches for the Tufties and the Pochards above. And what I hope will be my greatest painting ever, Cormorants. (If anyone remembers Keith Shackleton's 1994 Little Egrets that won the RSPB fine art award, that's the sort of thing it looked like. So I'll be doing it in acrylic.)

Attachments

• pics jan 006.jpg
    pics jan 006.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 81
  • pics jan 007.jpg
    pics jan 007.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 84
  • pics jan 008.jpg
    pics jan 008.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 86
Lovely work Nick. I like the Brighton starlings but I cant wait to see the comorants appair

Brighton starlings?? They're proper Welsh, boyo, tidy! From Aberystwyth. Only been to Brighton once, though got to say the old pier there would be FANTASTIC to paint with hordes of starlings.

Brighton starlings?? They're proper Welsh, boyo, tidy! From Aberystwyth. Only been to Brighton once, though got to say the old pier there would be FANTASTIC to paint with hordes of starlings.

er... you might have to use a bit of artistic license Nick ... only the very end of the West Pier (the old one) is still standing, the rest is in the sea. Starlings roost in large numbers on the Palace Pier now. Totally agree though, even the remaining structure is a fantastically dark piece of iron sculpture rising from the sea. Back in the days of art college, I used to paint the multi coloured seaweed and ropes hanging from the girders underneath with the light shining through them. Now, I just love the black skeleton starkness of what's left of the Old Pier, black cormorants, starling etc against grey wintery seas - it always reminds me of the Hitchcock scene from The Birds where crows gathered on the climbing frames outside the school.

I wish I could buy it and just leave it as it is ... a sea sculpture and bird haven.

Anytime you and your partner want a return visit for a few days, let me know, you can have the floor for free ;)

EDIT and leave any paintings you do behind :-O

er... you might have to use a bit of artistic license Nick ... only the very end of the West Pier (the old one) is still standing, the rest is in the sea. Starlings roost in large numbers on the Palace Pier now. Totally agree though, even the remaining structure is a fantastically dark piece of iron sculpture rising from the sea. Back in the days of art college, I used to paint the multi coloured seaweed and ropes hanging from the girders underneath with the light shining through them. Now, I just love the black skeleton starkness of what's left of the Old Pier, black cormorants, starling etc against grey wintery seas - it always reminds me of the Hitchcock scene from The Birds where crows gathered on the climbing frames outside the school.

I wish I could buy it and just leave it as it is ... a sea sculpture and bird haven.

Anytime you and your partner want a return visit for a few days, let me know, you can have the floor for free ;)

EDIT and leave any paintings you do behind :-O

Now that's tempting, I loved Brighton when I was there, and yes the remains of the pier are exactly as you describe. Stunning thing to look at. Birdwise, I saw little, as my ex decided he couldn't follow my very simple directions and we ended up at some rather pretty (but for me very disappointing compared to egrets and waders) restored railway line. Hmmm, oh well I saw a Chaffinch!

The starlings are so interesting, Nick. The goosanders and diving ducks are wonderful. BUT what I am really excited about is that cormorant piece. Like I said before, I am terribly attracted to cormorants.
I love the composition of the sketch you've made.

Can't wait!

The starlings are so interesting, Nick. The goosanders and diving ducks are wonderful. BUT what I am really excited about is that cormorant piece. Like I said before, I am terribly attracted to cormorants.
I love the composition of the sketch you've made.

Can't wait!

I'd forgotten about that one already, got paintings of hen harriers, roe deer and marsh tits to be getting on with aswell, grr why does Monday come along and spoil all the fun! I'll get on with it asap, promise!

Incredible movement in the starlings! That is a brilliant painting. Like Beth, I am looking forward to the cormorant piece. The sketch is wonderful!!

Where're the cormorants Nick? I was hoping they'd be done by now knowing your incredible workrate. Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece(s).

Mike

Where're the cormorants Nick? I was hoping they'd be done by now knowing your incredible workrate. Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece(s).

Mike

Would you believe that yesterday I did no painting, but got all the housework done!? o:) Now that's out of the way, today and tomorrow should see some painting. Cormorants, and then hen harriers.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back