• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In praise of 8x32 HG (not L) (1 Viewer)

Maybe just the leaded glass making itself known.

According to the Nikon brochure from 2002 (see previous posts), which was when the 32mm models were introduced all the HG range then had eco glass (no lead).

So the only HG models that had lead were the pre 2002 42mm models as far as we can speculate.

I think I've speculated before that the change in the rubber armouring compound from HG to HGL may account for the slight reduction in weight for the 32mm models.

Being familiar with both I prefer the original HG rubber over the rather "tacky" HGL which seems to attract dust and fluff like a magnet.

From memory I thought the HG 32mm models were only about 25g heavier than the HGL, it was the 42mm models which were noticeably lighter.. Either way I purchased a pair of 8x intended for my wife's use when the HGLs were launched around 2005?, it saved me about £150. My wife found them too heavy and I used them in favour of my Zeiss 7x42 Dialyts, because they were lighter, more compact,waterproof and to my eyes equally bright. I also enjoyed their chunky feel, they felt indestructible -shades of the old "Barr and Strouds". Two and a bit years ago I upgraded to a pair of Swarovski 8x32SVs which seem brighter with a slightly wider FOV. But I agree with dipper the Nikon 8x32 HGs were a splendid pair of binoculas. Very much fit for purpose.

Two years later and I’m still using mine. But, I was stalking some distant Whooper swans today and for the first time ever, wished they were 10s (I think this may be related to advancing years). So when I got home I went looking, and lo and behold the first place I looked (CleySpy) had a pair of 10x32 HGs so I bought them! An update will follow.
I hadn’t realised that this thread had continued, and reading the following posts, and comments about CA really puzzled me. I’d like to state again for the benefit of anybody reading this thread with the idea of possibly buying a pair, I have never seen any CA at all with mine, even when I’ve looked for it.

Right there with both of you on rainguards - the best ever are those fitted to some of my BGAT's - the flat, plate-type that threads through both sides of the strap and falls out of the way when the bin is lifted....ideal, IMO.

Seconded; my Dialyt BGATP was my first serious binocular (i.e. bigger than 8x20 pockets) and nothing in the short time since has had so good and self-placing a rainguard as that flat plate.

Tom

Dipped has been correct along regarding the HG, the armor on the Hg/LX is sooooo much better than what they put on the LX/L and it likely represents the 20 grams of weight which was the difference in the 8X32s, thanks again for the brochures.

Andy W.

Dipped has been correct along regarding the HG, the armor on the Hg/LX is sooooo much better than what they put on the LX/L and it likely represents the 20 grams of weight which was the difference in the 8X32s, thanks again for the brochures.

Andy W.

Andy,

Can we speculate that the reason the armor on the HG/LX versions is "so much better" because it was needed to protect the users from the mysterious rays emanating from the leaded glass Nikon had been using in the HG and LX versions? :eek!:

The HG/L, LX/Ls came out after Nikon stopped using leaded glass. Leaded glass can't weigh that much more than unleaded glass. Can it?;)

Bob

Andy,

Can we speculate that the reason the armor on the HG/LX versions is "so much better" because it was needed to protect the users from the mysterious rays emanating from the leaded glass Nikon had been using in the HG and LX versions? :eek!:

The HG/L, LX/Ls came out after Nikon stopped using leaded glass. Leaded glass can't weigh that much more than unleaded glass. Can it?;)

Bob
"The density of soda glass is 2.4 g/cm3 (39 g/cu in) or below, while typical lead glass has a density of around 3.1 g/cm3 (51 g/in3) and high-lead glass can be over 4.0 g/cm3 (66 g/in3) or even up to 5.9 g/cm3 (97 g/in3)."

With the amount of glass in a modern binocular it could be significant.

Last edited:
I am fully aware that Nikon did not use leaded glass in the HG and later HG/L 8X32 and 10X32, jees, I meant the RUBBER MATERIAL ON THE HG IS HEAVIER AND MORE DURABLE THAN THE MATERIAL IN THE HG/L. 20 grams difference in weight on the heavier HG 8X32 compared to the HG/L 8X32.

Andy W.

I am fully aware that Nikon did not use leaded glass in the HG and later HG/L 8X32 and 10X32, jees, I meant the RUBBER MATERIAL ON THE HG IS HEAVIER AND MORE DURABLE THAN THE MATERIAL IN THE HG/L. 20 grams difference in weight on the heavier HG 8X32 compared to the HG/L 8X32.

Andy W.

Gee!

I never expected anyone to take my comment seriously!;)

As for the durability of their respective coverings one might wear the coverings of the HG Ls out, maybe 10 years sooner, if one used both the 8x32HG L and the 8x32 HG as their sole binoculars on alternate days for, say, the next 20 years!

But I'm just guessing !:smoke: Blowing smoke you might say!;)

Bob

Last edited:
The armor on the HG/L is not as good as the original LX, I am not guessing or blowing smoke.

Andy W.

Sorry Andy. I guess my attempts at humor fell flat. If I wasn't retired I would be wise to keep my day job.

I do think that the owners of the HG L's and LX L's don't have to worry too much about their binocular's coverings deteriorating over years of usage.

If you wanted to see Nikon's with lousy coverings you should have had the USA version of the EDG. That was the version we call the EDG I which came out in 2008 or so only in North America. It had a cushion like leather covering that after 2 or 3 years of use started to bubble and come loose from the binocular. I sent my 2 year old 10x32 back to Nikon when it happened to mine in 2012 and Nikon replaced it at no cost to me with a new 10x32 EDG II. I'm still using it but I noticed that the plastic Blind Cap on the front of the hinge has a hairline crack in it after 7 years use.

The old HG/HGLs and LX/LXLs do not have Blind Caps.

Bob

PS: The coverings on my 10x32 EDG II are very similar to the coverings on my 10x32 LX/L.

Did you notice that the coverings on your EDGs are very similar to the coverings on the HG/Ls and LX/Ls?

Last edited:
I think Nikon made some good rubber armor once upon a time. These days as I have also noticed in other premium manufacturers make it cheap to save $$. I have the LX/L in 10X42 also and the armor of the EDG seems to be of better quality, I have not had any trouble with the armor on the EDGs.

The Monarch Chinese models I think have the worst armor, seems more like a foam material. IMHO I think Leica and Swarovski do the best when it comes to the armor and craftsmanship of the finished product.

Andy W.

I may start a new thread on this, but as promised here is a brief update on my newly acquired pair of 10x32 HG’s.
I’ve only just opened them and looked out into my garden, but I’m very happy with them. I wear glasses and so I wasn’t sure how the advertised 0.6 less difference in eye relief would be, and yes it is noticeable but I can still see the whole field without jamming my glasses hard into my forehead! Not the instant view I get with my faithful 8’s but I don’t think it’s going to be a problem. The superb clarity and neutral colour are just the same. I was slightly worried prior to getting them, that the faster focus as described by another member might be a problem; I don’t even notice a difference! If anything the focus wheel is slightly more ‘free’ than my 8’s but again I don’t think this will be a problem. I need to get them in field before I write any more. Just one thing I’ll mention is the condition of these is as close to new as you could get I think, they don’t appear to have had any use!
Watch this (or another) space.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back