• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caprimulgiformes (1 Viewer)

Good going, we now have data from year 2104 8-P

Jokes aside, I wonder if he secretly feels that the proposal to separate was made simply to make the paper publishable.

Niels

Band-winged Nightjar

Sigurðsson, S. and Cracraft, J. (2014), Deciphering the diversity and history of New World nightjars (Aves: Caprimulgidae) using molecular phylogenetics. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 170: 506–545. doi: 10.1111/zoj.12109 [Abstract]
Sigurðsson & Cracraft 2014. [pdf]

AOU-SACC Proposal #677 (Schulenberg & Robbins, Jul 2015): Recognize Systellura longirostris ruficervix, Systellura longirostris roraimae, and Systellura longirostris decussata as species.

HBW Alive:
...taxonomic changes in Cleere 2010 (Nightjars of the World)... Splits...
  • Antrostomus roraimae Tepui Nightjar from A longirostris
  • Antrostomus decussatus Tschudi's Nightjar from A longirostris

Last edited:
Cayenne Nightjar

Costa, Ingels, Cavarzere & Silveira 2015. A new look at the holotype and type locality of Setopagis maculosa (Todd, 1920) (Aves: Caprimulgidae), with remarks on its systematic relationships. Zootaxa 3999(4): 581–588. [abstract & preview]

AOU-SACC...
13. Setopagis maculosa is known only from the type specimen. Its placement in Setopagis is entirely tentative.
BirdLife (Species factsheet).

Cleere & Sharpe 2014 (HBW Alive).

Papazian 2015 (Neotropical Birds Online).

Last edited:
Cayenne Nightjar

Costa, Ingels, Cavarzere & Silveira 2015. A new look at the holotype and type locality of Setopagis maculosa (Todd, 1920) (Aves: Caprimulgidae), with remarks on its systematic relationships. Zootaxa 3999(4): 581–588. [abstract & preview]
Chris Sharpe, HBW Alive, 14 Aug 2015: Cayenne Nightjar: where to look and what to look for...
Known only from the type specimen, an adult male taken almost a century ago in French Guiana, the Cayenne Nightjar (Setopagis maculosa) is one of the most enigmatic of Neotropical birds. Subsequent sight records lack confirmation, details of the specimen have been disputed, and even its validity as a species has been questioned; consequently, it remains one of only 62 species still considered Data Deficient by BirdLife International / IUCN. A re-examination of the holotype, together with a consultation of the notebooks of the collector, Samuel Klages, has brought new details of the bird to light. The holotype was obtained on 24 April 1917 at Saut Tamanoir on the River Mana, some 10 km above its confluence with the River Kokioko. Almost all of the 29 other species collected that day are interior forest obligates, suggesting that the species inhabits the interior of tall terra firme forest rather than the clearings, open areas and riverside vegetation present at the type locality. Comparisons have previously been made with Blackish Nightjar (Nyctipolus nigrescens), but the species more closely resembles Todd’s (S. heterura) or Little Nightjar (S. parvula), suggesting that it is indeed a Setopagis. Future searches should be on the lookout for a medium-sized, greyish-brown nightjar, with rufous-brown cheeks and a contrasting grey crown that is boldly streaked with black. And of course, any unfamiliar nocturnal song in French Guiana or adjacent regions of Suriname or Brazil should be recorded [Costa et al. (2015)].

Can we use Nannochordeiles for Podager pusillus ?
Nannochordeiles Hartert 1896 [OD], type by original monotypy Chordeiles pusillus Gould 1861.

Both Nannochordeiles and Podager are accepted as valid genera in, ia., Hartert 1897, Sharpe 1900, Dubois 1902, Oates & Reid 1903, Brabourne & Chubb 1912, Reichenow 1913, Oberholser 1914, Ridgway 1914, Cory 1918, de Oliveira Pinto 1938.
Nannochordeiles (but not Podager) was then synonymized back into Chordeiles by Peters 1940 (who commented: "The very slight structural characters upon which this genus is based, seem to be of specific rather than of generic value.").

So that would simply take us back to generic limits that were generally accepted in the early 20th C. (If stability of names matters, going back to a pre-existing arrangement -- one that is already, and forever, present in the literature -- is very much less disruptive than creating a new one. This criterion is very often not taken into account at all, however.)

Thanks for reply and link ;)

(although i didn't understand a part of the comments) LOL

A simple "yes" or "no" was enough for me.

Your comments are always instructives.

Last edited:
Cool, Great, GG

I was afraid to hear several taxonomists yell "heresy " like last time I'd suggest to use the Genus Penthornis for Sittiparus semilarvatus.

What the comment was supposed to mean:

Names should allow communication about taxa, as well as the retrieval of information that has been published about them. (The latter being really just a particular case of the former: published information is information that is communicated to us by past authors.)
Name changes hamper communication, thus many think they should be avoided unless really necessary.
However, changing back to a treatment that was used in the past has, in part at least, the opposite effect: it eases the communication of information, from the authors who published under this treatment, to us. (And, if "the past" is not too far, it can also ease communication for persons who had learned the older treatment.) Thus not all changes hamper communication (in the broad sense) equally.

However, as I said above, this type of considerations is often not taken into account at all. Note that neither of the two publications that made the basis of proposal 674, nor the proposal itself, nor the earlier proposal 467, offered an in-depth discussion of the history of the generic limits in the group. I think this is regrettable.

Last edited:
My problem is English language, not about the utterance. :cat:

Off topic

Sometimes I asked myself.

"Why is so long to create and publish a new generic name knowing that it's urgent ?"

Well I mean define urgent? I think in a lot of cases its juggling responsibilities, and maybe there are other papers that are higher profile, more interesting to you, or have time constraints and other responsibilities that require more attention.

Even if you have a very narrow focus, there is no shortage of projects to work on.

It was just an intrinsic interrogation. I'd have put "urgent " in quotes. 8-P

Perhaps it's me but I have the feeling that herpetology's taxonomy evolved more faster than birds taxonomy. That's all. Maybe I'm wrong.

What I means is : When I compare the number of new genera created for frogs an reptiles in recent years and for birds, there's no comparison.

Last edited:
It was just an intrinsic interrogation. I'd have put "urgent " in quotes. 8-P

Perhaps it's me but I have the feeling that herpetology's taxonomy evolved more faster than birds taxonomy. That's all. Maybe I'm wrong.

What I means is : When I compare the number of new genera created for frogs an reptiles in recent years and for birds, there's no comparison.

Historically though herps have had a much longer history of being lumped together based on superficial resemblances, at practically all taxonomic levels. I think there is a greater change simply because bird taxonomy has had more attention paid to it historically and was less screwed up at the advent of the molecular revolution.

Also modern herp systematics folks tend to be more liberal in splitting nad PSC approaches than bird folks are. I suspect in North America at least many of the accepted proposals for taxonomic change would not have been accepted if put forward to ornithologists.

To conclude

If I take Paragallinula or Spizelloides as an example, their creation was relatively fast (contrary to many birds species such as "Cyornis" concretus (since 2009/2010 we know) or some species of family Thraupidae e.g.

Go ! To work taxonomists, otherwise, it's me who takes your job.

Loool

End.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back