• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September Moths - 2014 (1 Viewer)

Having run 7 MV's with a friend until 2.00am on Saturday night in habitat on the patch with a return of c55 species but no year ticks, I returned home feeling a bit knackered and underwhelmed by the reward for a second night's effort in a row.

However, checking the wall above the garden trap left me a little puzzled. Having ruled out a Dagger or Miller, the moth still didn't look like a Grey Shoulderknot and then I twigged it was a patch macro tick - Grey Chi. Very quickly thereafter it was safely potted for friends to see today. Excellent!

All the best

Last edited:
Oops!

If it's any consolation, I didn't catch a great deal last night (24 macros of 10 sps), no repeat of the Portland Ribbon Wave, but a Treble-bar was new for me, and a smart Ruby Tiger was nice, as well as my first Lunar Underwing of the autumn (edit - brings my "new garden" list to 200 Macro sps in a little over 9 months).

Do you use a timer because you leave for work long before it gets dark? I'd be tempted to just stick it on anyway.

Hi Mark

I haven't got it wrong before now but made a last minutes decision as I left for work at 17.00 to put it out and didn't double check.... Lesson learnt

Got a couple of dog-free mornings so I've put the trap out again tonight - an Old Lady on the wall above the trap was a nice garden tick a few minutes ago and received the seal of disapproval from the missus ("my God that's an ugly beast!").

received the seal of disapproval from the missus ("my God that's an ugly beast!").

:-O

Pretty poor showing in my trap this morning with Square-spot rustic and a few Lesser Yellow Underwings being the best :C

Are Common Rustics supposed to be still on the wing into September? I had one this morning after not seeing one for weeks.

Dave

Last edited:
Dave

A few Common Rustic still on the wing. I wouldn't rule out any being an additional generation pushed through as well. It's happening quite a lot at the moment. Just feasible from an early emerging pair.

All the best

Dave

A few Common Rustic still on the wing. I wouldn't rule out any being an additional generation pushed through as well. It's happening quite a lot at the moment. Just feasible from an early emerging pair.

All the best

Cheers Paul. Still learning about flight seasons etc. My individual was very bright and didn't look to have any wear at all so maybe your gut feel is correct here. :t:

Tawny Pinion was new for me last night, numbers still low with clear skies, full moon and a noticeable chill in the air - no checking the trap in my boxers until next spring I guess! (Edit - The trap's in the garden, not my boxers, in case there's anyone wondering.....)

Still not updated the year list - I believe it sits in the 870's - and now a short break away until next week. Autumn has still not properly kicked in. But with the full moon now over, I expect autumn species to be on the wing on my return.

My first Feathered Thorn of the year this morning with Large Yellow Underwing, Flounced Rustic and Square-spot Rustic still dominating. A bit of a flush of Dusky Thorns recently and a distinct emergence of Garden Carpets. Otherwise just a couple of Lunar Underwing and a Large Wainscot the main reminders that it is mid-September and supporting caste from occasional Angle Shades, Cabbage, Pine Carpet, Canary-shouldered Thorn, Vine's Rustic, Willow Beauty, Lime-speck Pug, Small Dusty Wave, Burnished Brass (non-fused), Lesser Yellow Underwing, Shuttle-shaped Dart, Buff Ermine, Centre-barred Sallow, etc.

All the best

Last edited:
Not too much on the go at the moment. However, the last week has brought my yearlist on a bit:
Red Underwing
Centre-barred Sallow
Lunar Underwing

Interestingly, last night I caught a 2nd gen Small Emerald.

Still hopeful this week with the weather for something good!

Not too much on the go at the moment. However, the last week has brought my yearlist on a bit:
Red Underwing
Centre-barred Sallow
Lunar Underwing

Interestingly, last night I caught a 2nd gen Small Emerald.

Still hopeful this week with the weather for something good!

A few surprises here in Dartford last few nights:

Small Emerald and Least Carpet

Also Oak Nycteoline and Small Blood vein

Autumn moths represented by Autumnal Rustic, Black Rustic, Sallow, Centre-barred Sallow and Feathered Ranunculus

Cheers,

James

If the weather does go south, there are quite a few Crimson Speckled in the Sagres area of Portugal that we are kicking up by day!

All the best

Night of 16.09 of interest:

Angle Shades (1), Red Underwing (1), Old Lady (1), L-Album Wainscot (8), Cabbage Moth (1), Lunar Underwing (5) and the usual Large and Lesser YUs and Sq Spot Rustics.

I've only just started with a 40w actinic trap as I'm in the middle of the town, Dewicks Plusia in the trap yesterday morning. well chuffed

A gradual build-up in numbers and variety last week, with Wed night the best - 45 moths of 24 species, including two new for me, European Corn-borer and Pink-barred Sallow, also garden firsts of Angle Shades and Dingy Footman (rather late?). Thu night it rained heavily so didn't put the trap out; last night looked promising but ended up as a disappointment, with 40 moths but of just 9 species, with 18 Lunar Underwing leading the pack. Black Rustic was new for garden, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back