• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Picture nightmare Windows 10 (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Just got my new W10 computer and while some things seem to be an improvement the Pictures app? is a bit of a nightmare.

I downloaded some test pictures to see how W10 handled them and all the thumbnails are exactly the same with blue sky and a mountain (sorry I can't think of the correct terminology).

This is just about useless when you've 2-300 images to sort through.

My brother's laptop (also W10) shows the thumbnails with the correct pictures on them.

Even editing the picture didn't make any difference.

Can someone help please?

SanAngelo said:
I went to reply to your post but there was no reply button. Don't know how that happen, in the bottom left hand corner it shows the "Closed" button.

Not sure I understand what you meant by "download test pictures" but here's what I think the fix may be.

Click to open you folder that holds all the photos. After the folder opens, on the top toolbar click on View, then click on Options, then click on Change Folder and Search Options, then click on View, then un-check the Always show Icon never Thumbnails box. Click on Apply, click on OK.

If I understand the problem correctly, that should take care of it.

Good Luck

Bill

Oh many many thanks Bill, it worked a treat. Why anyone would want that option is a mystery to me?

No idea how it happened, but somehow I managed to lock the thread. I had an additional problem last night in that the screen was going dark pink, making it extremely difficult to read anything. And pictures looked weird colours too!!! It's OK this morning though, and I'm told it's something to do with f.lux! So hope I've managed to disable it properly.

I've replied here so hopefully it may help someone else who has the problem.

Thanks again lad.

OK That fix worked a treat, so I'm hoping someone can help sort me out with another issue.

With W8 when I looked at my images, I could double click on one, which took me to a picture viewer, then click on an X if it was rubbish. In there I could use the scroll button on my mouse to zoom in to see how good it really was. Quickly clicking through them all deleting as required.

I didn't need any more, I could decide which picture(s) to use. Then work on them in the Photoeditor I like (Paint.net in my case).

Now when I double click on the image it opens the W10 picture editor; using the scroll button takes you back to the previous image. grrr. I don't want/need all the editing options, the only useful one in there is the one to straighten.

Does anyone know of a simple picture viewer?

I use FastStone over the dreadful Windows option, images appear clearer and at the right sizes etc. I installed the latest version couple months back when I upgraded my laptop and found it still superior, and it's free.

Yes, thanks Bill and Steve; sorry I meant to come back before this, but holiday and illness have played havoc.

I did download Faststone and it is an improvement over the supplied Windows option, but not quite so simple as the previous Windows one.

In addition to being able to use the centre wheel to zoom in and out, I could have several images open (remaining at the desired zoom level) and could switch between them easily for comparison, to enable me to pick the one I wanted to work on.

But I'm keeping it, as it is certainly better than the Windows one.

Thanks again.

In addition to being able to use the centre wheel to zoom in and out, I could have several images open (remaining at the desired zoom level) and could switch between them easily for comparison, to enable me to pick the one I wanted to work on.

FS has that feature, up to eight images.

Locate the 2 side-by-side tree icon on the icon Toolbar at the top of the page. Left click on it and it will tell you how to do it.

I use FastStone over the dreadful Windows option, images appear clearer and at the right sizes etc. I installed the latest version couple months back when I upgraded my laptop and found it still superior, and it's free.

FastStone is nice. Another possibility is IrfanView, also free, customizable and very fast. That's my personal favourite. Yet another good viewer is XnView.

Both IrfanView and XnView are also available as portable apps (portableapps.com), so you don't even have to install them if you just want to try them.

Hermann

FastStone is nice. Another possibility is IrfanView, also free, customizable and very fast. That's my personal favourite. Yet another good viewer is XnView.

Both IrfanView and XnView are also available as portable apps (portableapps.com), so you don't even have to install them if you just want to try them.

Hermann

IrfanView is my choice too...incredible amount of features for a free, lightweight program which makes dealing with a lot of images so much easier.
http://www.irfanview.com/
There is also a Windows 10 app for those who prefer "apps".

Thanks John.

I'll look into them too - very grateful to everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back