Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 2nd December 2017, 23:01   #26
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45northmt View Post
I've been lobbying for a 7x32/35 forever. I was ecstatic the new/old Trinovid 7x35 was released. It was the binocular in the 1970's and 80's I dreamed about owning. I was ready to pull out my wallet, then I read it's only rated as "splashproof!" It's a complete shame Leica didn't see fit to offer these as a "waterproof" model.

Argh... what a dumb move. Another buyer lost.

The why's and wherefore's of my binocular use require a true waterproof rating.
This Snippet from my book might be of interest.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 3.57.54 PM.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	647863  
Old Saturday 2nd December 2017, 23:09   #27
45northmt

Bill, thank you for sharing that. I'm loosely aware of those standards. That's a good resource. Because of how I use my bin's they must have the class 8 rating, which my 8x32 Ultravid's do.

I just would prefer a 7x30/32/35.

My old 7x30 Swaro SLC's were nice, but not up to the 8x32 Ultravid's.

Last edited by 45northmt : Saturday 2nd December 2017 at 23:24.
Old Monday 4th December 2017, 17:14   #28
chartwell99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
As far as I know Leica only modernized the coatings on the lenses and prisms these Trinovids. Otherwise they are the same as the old Leitz versions.

Bob
The old Leitz Trinovids used uppendahl prisms, thought to be superior but more expensive to make than the Schmidt-Pechan systems later adopted by Leica. The shape of these Trinovids actually looks like they might use uppendahl prisms which, since now phase coated, would make these fantastic glasses.
Old Monday 4th December 2017, 17:20   #29
Canip

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartwell99 View Post
The shape of these Trinovids actually looks like they might use uppendahl prisms ......
Yes, they do, according to Leica.
Canip
Old Wednesday 13th December 2017, 22:53   #30
Kevin Conville
yardbirder

Splash Proof

I sent this question to Leica USA. Here is the response:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
My inquiry to Leica USA:

I'm interested in the new Trinovid 7x35 binoculars.

Your brochure says they are "splash proof". What does that mean exactly?
My concerns are if they can tolerate being out in a rain and can they be rinsed off under a faucet?

Thanks

—————————————————————————————————
Their Response:

Kevin,

Since they are not considered water proof or completely water sealed, they’ll tolerate being in the rain but the user should always put the rainguard on over the eyecup end before allowing the unit to hang at their chest where the rain can drum down on the glass and possibly get through the seams.
They cannot be rinsed off under a running faucet.

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

Last edited by Kevin Conville : Wednesday 13th December 2017 at 23:10.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 14th December 2017, 03:11   #31
sbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Conville View Post
My inquiry to Leica USA:

My concerns are if they can tolerate being out in a rain and can they be rinsed off under a faucet?

Thanks

Their Response:

Kevin,

Since they are not considered water proof or completely water sealed, they’ll tolerate being in the rain but the user should always put the rainguard on over the eyecup end before allowing the unit to hang at their chest where the rain can drum down on the glass and possibly get through the seams.
Really quite unacceptable for equipment that is expected to be used outdoors! Though, maybe it is a Leica marketing ploy to get people to buy the Ultravids.
Old Thursday 14th December 2017, 03:40   #32
etudiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Conville View Post
My inquiry to Leica USA:

Thanks

Their Response:

Kevin,

Funny, iirc even the old Trinovid 8x32 was waterproof and it is difficult to see what savings would be achieved by making a new product less capable.
Plus if Nikon can afford to waterproof the 7x35 Action EX porro, selling for $120 on Amazon, it cannot be ruinous for Leica to seal the near $1000 7x35 Trinovid.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 14th December 2017, 04:09   #33
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbb View Post
Really quite unacceptable for equipment that is expected to be used outdoors! Though, maybe it is a Leica marketing ploy to get people to buy the Ultravids.
It isn't a marketing ploy to get people to buy the Ultravids.

The original Leitz Trinovids, except for a few rubber armored versions like the 7x42 Trinovid BA (according to Allbinos), were not water proof and were widely used outdoors. Many are still in use.

The new Leica versions won't be waterproof either (and I believe that will include the rubber armored versions) and they still will be used outdoors. The people who will buy them know the differences between them and the Ultravids. The Leitz Trinovids are by now a "Cult Classic" and the new versions with their modern eye cups and coatings will make them even more desirable.

Except for the eye cups and the up to date coatings, they will be nearly exact replicas of the old Leitz Trinovids which were replaced by the Leica Trinovid BA binoculars around 1990. Allbinos has pictures of the old ones here:

https://www.allbinos.com/116-Leitz-binoculars.html

Allbinos also has the 3 new Leica Trinovid versions pictured here in the top row:

https://www.allbinos.com/42-Leica-binoculars.html

Prices for them are also quite competitive, not to mention their classic design!

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Thursday 14th December 2017 at 04:29.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 14th December 2017, 04:38   #34
Kevin Conville
yardbirder

Though I would have liked to have read from Leica that rain is no problem, and easy faucet rinsing is OK, just don't submerge them... or something like that, I'm not discounting them for purchase.

FWIW I had Leitz Trinovid 10x25s from the early '80s and in 21 years of use never had a problem. And they did get wet now and then.

Still, I wish they had updated the weather resistance a bit on these.

Old Thursday 14th December 2017, 04:38   #35
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Funny, iirc even the old Trinovid 8x32 was waterproof and it is difficult to see what savings would be achieved by making a new product less capable.
Plus if Nikon can afford to waterproof the 7x35 Action EX porro, selling for $120 on Amazon, it cannot be ruinous for Leica to seal the near $1000 7x35 Trinovid.

B&H price for the Black Rubber Armored 7x35 Trinovid is $1349.00. The Black Leather and Black and Silver Versions cost more.

Bob

Old Thursday 14th December 2017, 07:33   #36
Troubador

My wife's original model Trinovids were used for decades and often in the most foul conditions: driving heavy rain, wind-swept sea-spray, and they never, ever fogged up.

Shame the revival models don't have modern close-focus distances to make them more useful for general nature observation.

Lee
Old Thursday 14th December 2017, 17:30   #37
Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
No, they weren't, and Leitz/leica never claimed they were.

However, Ξ only now of a couple of cases where one of the old Trinovids actually leaked; and back in the 1970s und 1980s they were, along with the Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 in its various incarnations, by far the most common roof.

I know of more cases of leaking Zeiss Dialyts than of Trinovids. Not really surprising I'd say, since the Zeiss had focussing objective lenses.

Hermann
Old Thursday 14th December 2017, 18:08   #38
Kevin Conville
yardbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
No, they weren't, and Leitz/leica never claimed they were.

However, Ξ only now of a couple of cases where one of the old Trinovids actually leaked; and back in the 1970s und 1980s they were, along with the Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 in its various incarnations, by far the most common roof.

I know of more cases of leaking Zeiss Dialyts than of Trinovids. Not really surprising I'd say, since the Zeiss had focussing objective lenses.

Hermann
I've never encountered or heard of a Leitz Trinovid leaking or even having tarnished (silver) prisms but I knew two people with Dialyts from that era where the prisms tarnished.

The atmosphere within a binocular will want to equalize with the outside air. If a binocular isn't well sealed, and under certain conditions, stuff might happen. Living at 7000' and then flying to a humid climate and low altitude I suspect won't be good for your silver plated prisms.

Of course these days most new (good) bins have dielectric coatings on their prisms.

Last edited by Kevin Conville : Thursday 14th December 2017 at 19:35.

Old Thursday 14th December 2017, 19:40   #39
Gijs van Ginkel

It is interesting to read what a Leitz coworker wrote about the 7x35B Trinovid introduced in 1965 and the other Trinovid models:" The internal focussing meant that the binocular was better protected against the ingresss of moisture, did not suck dust into its interior due to external moving focussing parts and was more resistant to damage". That may be the reason that there were so few complaints about water entering the Trinovids. I have used my 10x40B Trinovid under all sorts of circumstances and it never got any water in it.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Friday 15th December 2017, 05:52   #40
denco@comcast.n

Has anybody tried the new Leica Trinovid 7x35's? They are available now. A review would be nice.

https://www.adorama.com/lctrnv735ra....gaAvn8EALw_wcB

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Friday 15th December 2017 at 05:55.
Old Friday 15th December 2017, 07:39   #41
Kevin Conville
yardbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by denco@comcast.n View Post
Has anybody tried the new Leica Trinovid 7x35's? They are available now. A review would be nice.

https://www.adorama.com/lctrnv735ra....gaAvn8EALw_wcB
They are not available. Adorama does not have them. Just like everyone else, they'll take your order but Leica hasn't delivered any yet.

I see Adorama's not bashful about pronouncing them waterproof either. The link opens to a page that states such twice!

Old Friday 15th December 2017, 12:06   #42
45northmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEICA

Totally unacceptable. What a boneheaded move.
Old Friday 15th December 2017, 14:47   #43
ceasar

Quote:
Totally unacceptable. What a boneheaded move.
Not if one is a fan of the old and beloved Leitz Trinovid!

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Bob

Old Friday 15th December 2017, 15:07   #44
45northmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Not if one is a fan of the old and beloved Leitz Trinovid!

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Bob
60 yer old technology doesn't need to be upgraded. Good to know.
Old Friday 15th December 2017, 15:41   #45
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
I agree with 45northmt. They could have retained the optical qualities you liked in the older classic model and at least made them waterproof. That means they are possibly exposed to dust and other contaminants also getting on the lenses. When Dodge updated the older classis Challenger they didn't use an old carburetor and points on the motor they used a modern fuel injected motor and disc brakes instead of drums. It doesn't make sense not to take advantage of new technology.
Old Friday 15th December 2017, 15:50   #46
Troubador

Quote:
45er
I know what you mean and it seems commonsense that Leica should have upgraded these bins to modern standards. You are concerned about waterproofing, (I am not because of my wife's experiences with her original, see above) my own beef would be with the lack of a modern close focus.

But Bob is right too. These binos are icons of the past and are being made available again and will be attractive to nostalgia-struck oldies and collectors, as well as those interested in the development of the modern roof-prism bino and Leica's unique use of the Uppendahl prisms.

Anyone who wants a work-horse built to modern standards of weather proofing can choose other Leica models or indeed from a host of other brands.

If these Trinnies had a modern 2 metre or 1.5metre close focus I can say without a shadow of doubt that my wife would get one and take it out in the foulest of weather without a second's thought, just as she did with her old Trinnies for decades.

Lee
Old Friday 15th December 2017, 16:10   #47
Gijs van Ginkel

In post 39 I have described which considerations Leitz had when it developed the Leitz Trinovids made from 1963-1988. One of the arguments was that by using the interior focussing/diopter mechanism, the binoculars would not collect dust or water inside. That is also how it worked for me during years of fairly hard use of the 10x40B Leitz Dialyt and it never collected water or dust. So I do not quite understand the worries about the new ones, since they will certainly just as good or even better than the old ones. I just finished the investigation of a number of old ones: 7x35B (1966, 1967, 1982) , 8x40B (1969) and 10x40B (1965 and 1977) made in different periods of time between 1965 and 1982 and they were all in good condition, no dust or water inside and some of them very heavily used. So, I would say: do not worry before you have used them a lot. There is a proverb in Dutch that says: de mens lijdt dikwijls het meest door het lijden dat hij vreest, doch dat nimmer op komt dagen. I am curious what Google translate will make of it.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Friday 15th December 2017, 16:44   #48
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by denco@comcast.n View Post
I agree with 45northmt. They could have retained the optical qualities you liked in the older classic model and at least made them waterproof. That means they are possibly exposed to dust and other contaminants also getting on the lenses. When Dodge updated the older classis Challenger they didn't use an old carburetor and points on the motor they used a modern fuel injected motor and disc brakes instead of drums. It doesn't make sense not to take advantage of new technology.
Dennis,

Read Gijs's comment in post #47.

Bob

Old Friday 15th December 2017, 16:45   #49
jan van daalen

A Leitz 10x40B Dialyt.
That would be a nice contribution to my collection Gijs.

Jan
Old Friday 15th December 2017, 16:54   #50
ceasar

Quote:
The experts have chimed in in posts 46 and 47.

You don't have to buy the new Leica Trinovid with the Uppendahl prisms but you don't need to worry if you do.

That is unless you are required to go birding very often in wet and rainy conditions. Under those circumstances you should get the most waterproof binocular you can find. Its cost should be no objection for you.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Friday 15th December 2017 at 16:56.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: