• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon AF-S 1.4X Teleconverter (1 Viewer)

proudpapa56

Where'd you go, stay put!
United States
I bought one of these a few years ago and it rattled when I shook it. That didn't seem right, so returned it for a new one. Well, the new one rattled also so I just thought OK, that's the way it is.
Is that right, or did I get a second defective, or could they have just sent back the one I returned?
Thanks in advance.

Don't know the particular Nikon converter, but some others have mechanical parts that move fairly easily, i.e. not a lot of force is required to move them when not connected to a lens or camera body.

Even if some of these mechanical links are not found or required for an increasing number of lenses and camera bodies most converters I have seen still come with the provisions to allow them to work with older lenses and bodies.

- the locking mechanism that secures the converter to camera and lens (something that is still found on all SLR bodies and lenses)

- a little black tab that mechanically connects the aperture control from the camera to the lens that the aperture steps down to the set f-stop before the shutter opens (something required if the aperture is not electronically operated like in most modern lenses)

- the drive shaft that connects the AF drive motor in the camera body with the focussing mechanism of the lens (also something not found anymore in most modern lenses that have their own AF motors build in, and in some of the Nikon consumer level camera bodies is no AF motor to drive lenses that don't come with their own on-board AF motor).

So when shaking a converter (or a lens) make sure those parts are not the ones that move and cause a rattle.

I have the 1.4ii and the 2.0iii. On both of them a couple of the mechanical linkages can just rattle freely back and forth when not attached to anything. They have both been like that from new so I presume that is how they are supposed to be. It doesn't have any impact on their performance; the 1.4 I have is particularly good. Nothing else inside them rattles.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back