• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why no Crows? (1 Viewer)

songbird6666

I get almost every type of garden bird coming down on my feeders (apart from Bullfinches :C ) including multitudes of Jackdaws and Rooks, but never, ever a Crow. There are plenty around, I even spot them flying over, and purposely averting their eyes! Why isn't my garden or the food I supply good enough for them? Any ideas, not that I am unduly worried, just wondering why. :h?:

We get crows coming to our feeders but only very occasionally; they only seem interested in meaty things like fat trimmed off chops.

Steve

I get a pair of Carrion Crows every now and then thay love peanuts seen one once take 12 nuts before in his crop and beak unreal, then fly next door and hide some in there long grass, wonder if thay really remember were thay are.

Last edited:
songbird said:
I get almost every type of garden bird coming down on my feeders (apart from Bullfinches :C ) including multitudes of Jackdaws and Rooks, but never, ever a Crow. There are plenty around, I even spot them flying over, and purposely averting their eyes! Why isn't my garden or the food I supply good enough for them? Any ideas, not that I am unduly worried, just wondering why. :h?:
Crows are not a gregarious bird generally, which means they do not often mix with other birds. Unlike Rooks or Jackdaws, Crows tend to feed on their own and the foodstuffs they like, (insects, worms, carrion, human food litter etc. are widely available, so they are seldom seen in gardens.

I've never had a crow touch down in my garden even though there are plenty nearby. Get plenty Jackdaws though. As Roger says Carrion Crows are the least gregarious of the common black crows.

But the Hoodies are very confident creatures! Aha, perhaps that was the criteria for the split! 3:)

I would suggest putting out a cooked chicken carcass, it's probably one of the best attractors.(avoid leaving it out all night for the rats)

Crows also eat bread in my garden but only after dipping it in the water bath on the lawn.The magpies have also cottoned on to that trick now.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I think I will pass on the chicken carcass idea though thanks, I prefer my chickens walking around the garden, fully feathered! And I already have an ongoing battle with rats who aren't worried about appearing in broad daylight (Did you know they just lurvvvve sunflower hearts????) :eat:

CJW said:
But the Hoodies are very confident creatures! Aha, perhaps that was the criteria for the split! 3:)

You could be right there Chris, the ones in Sweden and the middle east live in towns like Jackdaws do here so.....?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back