• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bats in Ecuador (1 Viewer)

Maffong

Back in 2009/10 I used to live inEcuador as an international exchange student. During my stay I came across a lot of bats, but could only get pictures of a few.
Now I wonder what these are.
I think that the bats in pictures 1 and 5 are probably White-lined Sac-winged Bats, but is it possible to narrow them down even further?
Pictures 2 and 3 show the same bats and I think I found a pretty equal-looking bat in the mammal book of ecuador, but don't remember their name. They were apparently feeding on nectar, as I saw them quite often in the morning flying around some flowers.
The bat in picture 4 is probably unidentifiable, or is it?
Pic 1 was taken in Cuyabeo Nationalpark, near Lago Agrios
Pics 2+3 were taken at Puerto Lopez on the Ecuadorian coast
Pics 4+5 were taken at Yasunì Lodge, close to the town of Coca (Puerto Francisco de Orellana)

Maybe somebody knows something and can help me here...

Kind regards
Maffong

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1360.JPG
    IMG_1360.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1527.JPG
    IMG_1527.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 35
  • P1090089.JPG
    P1090089.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 46
  • P1090239.jpg
    P1090239.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 45
I figured so far that pic 5 shows Long-nosed Bats, and maybe that's also the species in pic 1.

Anybody else has any ideas

Cheers Maffong

The bats in photo 5 look very much like the Proboscis Bats (Rhynchonycteris naso) I saw in Nicaragua. I think the same species is found in Ecuador.

The bats in the first photo are not the same species. They look more like one of the other sac-winged bats, perhaps one of the White-lined (Saccopteryx) although I'm not sure what the options are in Ecuador.

The bat in photo 5 might be one of the Fishing Bats (Noctilio). Was it hunting low over water? Otherwise It's probably very difficult to identify.

The bats in photos 2&3 are outside my very limited knowledge. They're leaf-nosed bats of some description which feed on fruit etc. Sorry I can't be more help!

Yes indeed, bat #4 was hunting over a river, pretty low, so fishing bat seems logical. Thanks also for the info on the other bats.

Cheers Maffong

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back