• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

All weather bird feeder (1 Viewer)

goldenyears

Since I'm a new member I might as well give a recommendation for a great bird feeder for coastal areas especially. It is the Songbird Essentials All Weather feeder. We live about 1/4 mile from the Pacific Ocean and so we get wind-blown rain and mist. We have used this bird feeder for more than 5 years and have never had a wet seed in it!. Two features account for this performance: 1) rain cannot run down the rod that runs through the center to hold it together, and 2) the seed is accessed from above the perch and under cover. The birds quickly get the hang of reaching up to pull out a seed. It's fun to watch the new young birds trying to figure it out. The perch is big enough to accommodate 5-6 birds if they get along with each other. The only "problem" with it is that after all this time the clear plastic has become discolored. I'm sure I could clean it, but I'm afraid to use a product like they advertise to clean discolored plastic headlights. I guess I could contact the company for a recommended cleaning agent.

When I figure out how to include a photo I'll do so.

Hi again goldenyears - I've moved your post to the Bird Feeder forum and subscribed you to the thread so you can keep track of it.

If you want any help with uploading your pictures, please don't be afraid to ask.

Goldenyears, it's supposed to be important to clean feeders regularly, to avoid spreading disease. I use dish detergent but if you're really concerned about edibility, almost all clear plastics can be cleaned and brightened using ordinary toothpaste. I'd get some cheap stuff at a dollar store and use that. In fact I think I will now that I've thought of it. I've also found that a round dollar store toilet brush is excellent for cleaning my tube feeders and such.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back