• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrows back again (1 Viewer)

dave gore

dave asked

am i missing something regarding sparrows being less vivsble at certain times of year?, back in late November/early December we had a garden full of them feeding alonside blue tits, goldfinches, blackbirds and the odd thrush and then the sparrows stoped calling, then on wednsday they were back again just as before and feeding just as well with all the other visitors

any thoughts as to the disappearance?

dave

Dave

I have no idea re- disappearance of House Sparrows.

Would appreciate advice on bringing them back though!!

In my part of Sheffield they are rarer than Waxwings.

Jim

Jim Archer said:
Dave

I have no idea re- disappearance of House Sparrows.

Would appreciate advice on bringing them back though!!

In my part of Sheffield they are rarer than Waxwings.

Jim

dave replied (with a laugh)

in my expert opinion, do exactly as you were doing before, then wait for about 6 weeks, works for me every time!!!

dave

We've only recently had a pair of house sparrows return to our garden, I'm pleased to say. Let's just hope they manage to avoid the cats (they're our cats - all two of them, sleepy things until they espy a bird and then they think they're kittens again).

I hope it means they're on the increase after so many years of decline. I notice in our local paper that the council is putting up some communal sparrow nest boxes, 4x4's - I didn't know they were communal nesters - those in our house eve's as a kid weren't.

Still in very good numbers, in leyland 30+ daily,
its good to see.

Last summer I counted just over 40 in our beech hedge, so far this winter I have counted a maximum of 26, plus a maximum of 3 Tree Sparrows at any one time (BTO Surveying).

I enjoy watching them squabble, bathe and move en mass when any apparent threat appears, and think it's good that we can be helping such a common(?) native bird, instead of things like Ospreys etc.

Please note, I have nothing against Opsreys or any other bird, it's just that House Sparrows are such a local, on-your-doorstep bird, one you do not have to travel miles to see.

edrick owl.

dave gore said:
dave asked

am i missing something regarding sparrows being less vivsble at certain times of year?, back in late November/early December we had a garden full of them feeding alonside blue tits, goldfinches, blackbirds and the odd thrush and then the sparrows stoped calling, then on wednsday they were back again just as before and feeding just as well with all the other visitors

any thoughts as to the disappearance?

dave
As opposed to traditional practices, these days we grow "winter" wheat, this is usually ready for harvest the week before or the weak after Christmas (I'm told), the harvesting of said wheat may well attract a lot of our town birds to local fields. Coupled with, of course, many people's belief that fat feeders are only necessary around Christmas time when also, folks put out more scraps.
Most of this is only theory, as for the wheat thing, have you noticed similar absences of other graniforous birds, pigeons, chaffinches etc?

Sparrows in Geneva

I have just joined BirdForum. In my start up message I said some of the following:
There are lots and lots of house and tree sparrows in Geneva, all over the city, up and down the lakeside, in the treelined parks, in suburbs and apartment blocks, and in the city centre; all this despite the massive use of unleaded petrol, pesticides in the farmland, the widespread long-established distribution of sparrowhawks outside the city, and the rampaging black kites on their summer visits from March to August.
Maybe the reason for their decline in big cities lies elsewhere.

Bernie said:
I have just joined BirdForum. In my start up message I said some of the following:
There are lots and lots of house and tree sparrows in Geneva, all over the city, up and down the lakeside, in the treelined parks, in suburbs and apartment blocks, and in the city centre; all this despite the massive use of unleaded petrol, pesticides in the farmland, the widespread long-established distribution of sparrowhawks outside the city, and the rampaging black kites on their summer visits from March to August.
Maybe the reason for their decline in big cities lies elsewhere.
You make good points, Bernie. I have always wondered what the cause is. Perhaps it is the supply of winter feed - farming methods have changes, and it could be that the house sparrows move into farmland for part of the year?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back