• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Middle-Spotted Woodpecker (1 Viewer)

black52bird

Thought you might be interested to know that we just got the second Middle-Spotted Woodpecker in the garden in the nearly 4 years of living here.
It was a juvenile, so presumably a wanderer. The nearest breeding pairs I know are on Margaret Island (in the middle of the Danube), and up at Normafa (top of the cog-wheel railway) on the Buda hills just behind.

2 pairs of Great-Spotteds nest in the park over the road, and they regularly feed on our 'bird balls' in the winter. Green also breeds over the road, and has been into the back garden on a few occasions.

And we have also had the odd Syrian moving through the park, and once in the garden, but they don't seem to breed in our part of town, though they're around elsewhere in the city gardens and parks.

Best

David

Obviously you have some countryside near you (the park) - are you close to other countryside? If not, what an amazing bird to have in a city garden. Lucky you.

Keep hanging the nut feeders - I got my first Middle Spotties about four years ago and they are daily now, along with Great Spotted too. Occasional Lesser Spotted pass through and Black Woodies fly over, but neither of these too has been enticed by any of the many feeders

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back