• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm ecstatic!!!!! (1 Viewer)

amasara said:
What IS it? if I may so dumb to ask?
Hi Sara,
It's probably our scarcest breeding woodpecker (out of three spp - not counting Wryneck ;) )
About the size of a House Sparrow and extremely elusive.
It is probably a testament to Elizabeth's dedication to her garden birds that she has been lucky enough to attract one. I was going to suggest looking in the gallery here for images of them, but it's so scarce there's actually only one in there :eek!:

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showgallery.php?si=lesser+spotted+woodpecker&x=12&y=8

I've been lucky enough to see them on a few occasions (and have even had one in my garden - a loooong time ago - about 25 years) but i'm still jealous ;)

If you ever get over to Norfolk, here are a few places that are 'fairly reliable' for LSWoodie:
1) Holkham Park, near the Monument: often heard calling, not always easy to see
2) Lady Anne's picnic site, Santon Downham: good for all three woodies! (And, at times, Crossbill / Kingfisher / Tree Pipit and (rare in Norfolk!) Redstart)
3) The 'Oriole Woods' in Suffolk
4) The walkway out to the Ranworth Conservation Centre
5) Linford Arboretum
6) The garden of the guys who run the RBA pager: they used to put LSW on there all the time! LOL!

nice one EB.

Thankfully I have seen one or I would be seething with jealousy.

And curiusly that was at David Bryant's no 5 !!

shelley810 said:
Even without knowing, you really get caught up in the excitment!! :clap:

Elizabeth's opening line is so full of excitment, but the words are lost in translation on me.

Shelley, my mysterious opening line was an attempt at some gentle fun.

I think a lifer is a bird that you see for the first time in your life, a garden lifer is the first time you ever see one in your garden, a year tick - the first one of your (counting) year, similarly a garden tick. The feeder tick refers to a recent post, where someone mentioned a new way of recording ticks. I do keep a record of the birds I have seen, in a very disorganised fashion, but it is not the be-all-and-end-all of my life!

David Bryant said:
Hi Alan!
Try Bowdown Woods! I've seen LSW's there several times while on visits to the 'Outlaws'!
Thanks David
But I had to look up where Bowdown Woods were. No too far away!.

Chuffed to bit's for you EB, it's a lovely bird to see never mind in your garden!!

hope it's a regular :t: |:d|
bert.

Great news Elizabeth. A lot of us would be excited over a Great Spotted in the garden so this is fantastic. Its a testament to how much you look after your garden birds!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back