• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Changshu birding information request (1 Viewer)

bfoutch

During my upcoming visit to Shanghai at the end of this month, I may spend two days in nearby Changshu (due North of Suzhou) with family. Near Changshu, I see Shanghu Lake and Yushan mountain on Google maps, and both look interesting to bird. Anyone have any information on best sites and/or what special birds to be on the lookout for?

Thanks in advance.
Bruce

... Anyone have any information on best sites and/or what special birds to be on the lookout for? ...

Changshu is not a well-known birding spot. Your best bet may be to get on the bullet train and head to Nanjing. See my report here.

Thanks Craig! Your report is very helpful. We do have relatives in Nanjing and, if schedule permits, I would like to go there as well. I will check our dance card when I get home tonight and see if I can fit Nanjing in. However, the visit to Changshu would be to visit my wife's relatives, both living and deceased. Therefore, if she confirms its a go, then we will certainly go to Changshu and I will make the best of birding that area. I'll post what I find there on the forum. Who knows, it may hold a surprise bird or two. Got to stay optimistic!

I've birded in Nanjing and can confirm the birding there is pretty good. But my experience is that China is grossly underexplored from a birdwatching standpoint. So simply checking out the areas around Changshu may be just as fruitful, as long as you can get away from the crowds.

However, given that Oct. 1st is the National Day Holiday, the timing of your trip suggests that getting away from the crowds will be quite a challenge. Good luck and good birding!

"...the timing of your trip suggests that getting away from the crowds will be quite a challenge."

Jeff - This certainly has me concerned. However, in order to get together with family and friends, it is the best time since they are off work and have time to visit. Still, I will give it my best, no matter the crowds. I do remember taking a weekend, early morning walk down to Peace Park (corner of Kongjiang Lu and Dalian Lu) to find it chock-full of people. However, it was on this day at this crowded park that I saw both Black-throated Tit and Brambling, the only ones of these two species I saw during my entire trip. You just never can tell, so I'll try to remain optimistic. :) Besides, sometimes people watching is just as entertaining as birding in China! ;-)

Thanks for the good wishes,

Bruce

Nanjing has nothing more special than Changshu,considering the habitat.
It's better to just visit Changshu's suburb to avoid the crowd on the train to Nanjing.
A few ducks are already in migration.And u can see a few waders for sure.If lucky enough,u may find migrating Pheasant-tailed Jacana, Pygmy Goose etc.
Late Sep/early Oct is the peak time for raptor migration.Any hill that gives u a little elevation can provide very fruitful raptor watching and swifts and even sometimes storks,geese...although it's a little early for those winter birds.

The local birders in Nanjing,Suzhou,Wuxi etc do a lot of raptor monitoring and hope u can contribute to this,although I dont know who's doing this in Changshu.
I've birded in the hills next to Yangtse River on the northern bank in Nantong.Quite a lot of birds migrate along the river in autumn from east to west.

in the reedbeds along Yangtse River,u may have a chance to find the endemic Reed Parrotbill.

mcaribou,

Thanks for the information. Great advice about watching for migrant raptors. I hadn't thought of that, but makes perfect sense. We will certainly go visit a family grave-site up on the mountain, so I will be in-place to do as you suggest.

Reed Parrotbill would be a terrific find.

Thank you much!

Bruce

Nanjing has nothing more special than Changshu,considering the habitat. ...

Huh? Are you serious? Nanjing Zhongshan Botanical Garden is one of the best urban parks in China. The burial place of Sun Yat-sen, the Garden has been well-preserved for decades. Some parts of the park have considerable tracts of old-growth secondary forest. For woodland birds, no place in Changshu provides such excellent habitat.

Bruce: Do note, however, that the Garden will be packed with people over the National Day holiday.

Last edited:
"Huh? Are you serious?"

Sometimes I think I should dig myself a foxhole before posting on this forum! ;-)

Just kidding guys. I really appreciate all your generous help and advice. The 'good-natured' banter among the resident experts is always fun to read. :)

Last edited:
mcaribou,

Thanks for the information. Great advice about watching for migrant raptors. I hadn't thought of that, but makes perfect sense. We will certainly go visit a family grave-site up on the mountain, so I will be in-place to do as you suggest.

Reed Parrotbill would be a terrific find.

Thank you much!

Bruce
But Reed Parrotbill is much easier in Shanghai.

Thank you mcaribou. On my December 2012 visit I was lucky enough to find Vinous-throated Parrotbill at Paotaiwan. I'll certainly keep my eyes peeled for the Reed Parrotbill this trip.

Then you need to get over to Chongming Dao or down to Nanhui (if there's any reeds left with all the construction nonsense?) for Reed Parrotbill...

And...Changshu is on the east coast so migration should be a focus for you at this time of year...species not going to be different to Shanghai or Rudong...one broad flyway...key is getting away from the crowds...yeah, seriously...Nanjing in October holiday week can have all the habo in the world but good luck finding a spot to bird in peace and quiet...nice that ZL answered the right question at least...

McM

Thanks McMadd!

The trip to Changshu is actually sounding OK. The mountain is pretty big and, although from my memory of the funeral I attended there many years ago it is mainly covered with tea plantations, I do see some forest areas that I may find some solitude and birds within. And, as suggested by ZL, getting to a high lookout may yield raptors. I also see on Google maps what look like flooded rice paddies, called Liuli Pond. It is just south of Shanghu Lake and it should be uncrowded if I can find access.

Thanks again. You and ZL have instilled me with optimism. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back