• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 7x42 EDG taste test (1 Viewer)

Fireform

My name is Fireform and I'm a binoholic--I couldn't resist buying a pair of the 7x42 EDGs (SN 58) and took them out for a test drive.

Mechanical impressions:
These binoculars are constructed to a very high mechanical standard. The focus knob operation is perfectly smooth and even, with just the right amount of resistance. The eyecups twist up smoothly and detent with a satisfying click. The armoring is just the right compromise between firmness and grippiness. There are wide, shallow thumb indents on the underside, which if you have to have such things is the right way to have them. The open bridge design looks quite robust and adjusts firmly, but with my narrow IPD it really is of little use. Nikon has clearly gone all out to avoid any plastic feel and build an item that feels alpha class in every respect. They come with removable flip-up objective caps, ocular rain guard, adjustable strap, a lightly padded ballistic nylon case, an extra set of winged eyecups, and a no-fault 25 year warranty. All of the accessories are top flight. The ocular guard has a strap loop on the left side, and the right side engages the eyecup with a light click so that the guard stays securely in place despite being shallow and easy to remove. Very nice. The ocular guard also adjusts and locks to your preferred IPD so you aren't forever flexing the guard into position as with, for instance, the FL guard.
Three cavils: 1) The center focus knob pulls up to allow diopter adjustment, like so many roof bins these days, but there is no resistance to its movement. I did not have a problem with it, but there is the likelihood that you will reset your diopter accidentally from time to time. 2) There is a large gap between the fully retracted eyecup position and the first detent, which might not be optimal for some users. 3) The flip-up objective covers may not seat far enough onto the barrels to stay on in rough/careless use. I had no trouble with them myself and it may be an imaginary problem, but they don't go far onto the barrels.

Optics:
I compared the EDG in ABC fashion with my trusty 8x32 SEs and my 8x42 FLs (so, pretty fast optical company) in sunny, overcast, twilight and nighttime conditions, and also birded and observed with them. Unfortunately, I had no other 7x42s to compare them with, so that review will have to wait on someone with deeper pockets than I.
Henry has given a more technical review of the optics of this bin, so I won't even try to go there. The wide eyecups were easy to adjust--these should have enough eye relief (18.5mm) for anyone--and they felt very comfortable and solid in my hands, which led to a stable and non-fatiguing view. Subjectively, the color rendition and control of CA in the EDGs were superb. Colors appeared rich and saturated, and CA was about on the level with the FLs, which is to say almost invisible. They have a very wide sweet spot, even a bit better than the SEs, so they drew a few wows from me. They were a bit brighter than the SEs in twilight conditions, but not quite as bright as the FLs, and both of the 8x binoculars had slightly higher centerfield resolution of detail. That's not surprising, given the quality and higher magnification of those glasses. Picking out colors and details of warblers in the dappled light of a large oak tree against a bright sky is a tough test, but the color rendition, flatness of field and quick focus of the EDGs were superb. With the color rendition, depth of field and quick focus, following moving birds was as easy as it gets.

In the end I did send them back, but I was impressed. If and when the 8x32 EDG comes available, my SEs will have a fight on their hands.

Last edited:
Very nice fireform. Thank you for the review. It is nice to see more comments focusing on the new EDG models. You hear next to nothing about them.

My name is Fireform and I'm a binoholic--I couldn't resist buying a pair of the 7x42 EDGs (SN 58) and took them out for a test drive.

And how about distorsion?
Nikon has earned a reputation for rectifying this annoying problem thoroughly with their HGLs (= LXLs).

Any comments appreciated.
Tom

Tom,

The 7x42 EDG I tested had virtually identical off-axis performance to a 8x42 LX-L I compared it to. I don't think the eyepiece design has changed much, if at all. There is nearly zero rectilinear distortion, very low astigmatism and also low field curvature, altogether a larger "sweet spot" and sharper edge than one usually sees in a binocular with the same 56 degree AFOV. The lack of pincushion distortion will probably get a mixed reaction. Some people find the "rolling globe" effect obtrusive without some added pincushion.

Henry

Last edited:
Tom,

The 7x42 EDG I tested had virtually identical off-axis performance to a 8x42 LX-L I compared it to. There is nearly zero rectilinear distortion, very low astigmatism and very low field curvature, altogether a larger "sweet spot" and sharper edge than one usually sees in a binocular with the same 56 degree AFOV. The lack of pincushion distortion will probably get a mixed reaction. Some people find the "rolling globe" effect obtrusive without some added pincushion.

Henry

Henry,
thanks for updating me on the technical merits of these interesting models.

Sounds all the more thrilling ... except for the fact that the EDGs are not (yet) available in Europe, and Nikon is strictly silent about a release date. (maybe last year's press release that announced their arrival will have a little brother this year?)

I know that distorion is a contentious issue. But I applaud Nikon and Swarovski (New EL) for providing any instruments without.

Those who like the "space-trekkish" twisting and bending of straight lines have a wealth of choices, those who don't have not.

Cheers, Tom

Those who like the "space-trekkish" twisting and bending of straight lines have a wealth of choices, those who don't have not.

Interesting that you use this strong description. Though I feel it fits more the ubiquitous variable focus eyeglasses than binoculars. At least, the described impression is the reason I have trifocals instead. On the other hand, I find the "rolling globe" extremely irritating in binoculars, thus preferring a slight pincushion effect.

Last edited:
Not a bad choice...or if not mirrored then possibly moved as I would guess folks would head there first if they had questions on this particular model.

Interesting that you use this strong description. Though I feel it fits more the ubiquitous variable focus eyeglasses than binoculars. At least, the described impression is the reason I have trifocals instead. On the other hand, I find the "rolling globe" extremely irritating in binoculars, thus preferring a slight pincushion effect.

The rolling ball does bother me a lot. i think that's why I like som european binoculars more than Nikon binoculars.

My name is Fireform and I'm a binoholic ...

Three cavils: 1) The center focus knob pulls up to allow diopter adjustment, like so many roof bins these days, but there is no resistance to its movement. I did not have a problem with it, but there is the likelihood that you will reset your diopter accidentally from time to time.

A friend of mine had a pair of 8x42 EDG that he let me use for a couple of weeks over Christmas (and I used them a lot).

My overall impression was that I loved looking through them but after I while I tended to not want to take them birding with me because I found them so immensely annoying: it seemed like every time I tried to look at a bird, the focus wheel had slipped up (just a mm) which meant that when I tried to focus, the wheel just spun uselessly under my fingers. Every time before trying to focus, I had to remember to check that the wheel was in position.

oh, and the objective lens covers were also annoying. impossible to get off with gloves on, and they fall off surprisingly easy - I lost both covers on the first two birding trips. After that they stayed at home.

These are nice bins, but overall I would not consider them a serious contender to the alpha bins (well, not unless they were substantially cheaper).

The focuser easily slipping into diopter adjustment mode was a problem with the pair I tested. That pair was represented to me as a prototype, and the problem was supposed to be fixed before full production. I think some of those "prototypes" (which were supplied to dealers) wound up being sold. It's also possible that the problem was never fully solved.

Optically, the pair I tested was fully competitive with the alphas.

The focuser easily slipping into diopter adjustment mode was a problem with the pair I tested. That pair was represented to me as a prototype, and the problem was supposed to be fixed before full production. I think some of those "prototypes" (which were supplied to dealers) wound up being sold. It's also possible that the problem was never fully solved.

yup, optically they were lovely.

but...

Since my new experience with these is no more than a taste test as well, I'll just bump this thread up. The Nikon booth at the NW Sportsman's show had the EDG in 7x,8x and 10x42. This was an inside comparison and nothing more. But I think even an inside comparison can be valuable. I did happen to have a ZEN ED 8x43 with me when I found, quite by accident, that there was a Nikon booth. I'd completely missed seeing it on the exhibitors list.

The first thing that is obvious is the fact that the optics are first rate, and I think they will easily compare to anything else. Like all of the top end glass they seem to have their own particular "look". To my eye the EDG look is a lot like the Leica look, with a bit of a red bias. The image should be good enough for anybody, but like all, some will like this look, and some will like others. There seems to be very little edge distortion.

The rubber armor they have is unlike the other alphas. Not real thick but with a soft, somewhat pliable, non slip grip. Nice. I liked that. The focus is about right for my tastes, just the right place between too fast and not fast enough.

I'll just say the ZEN ED seems to relate quality wise to the EDG about the same way it does to the other alphas.

I happened to like the 7x42 best. Can't really say why, other than it seemed a bit sharper than the others. It just made the best first impression.

Overall I really like the EDG. But there is one caveat. It is a short and fat binocular compared to the other open bridge binoculars. They sort of gave me the impression of a Swarovski EL frame that crashed into the wall, the impact decreasing the length and increasing the diameter of the barrels. I have reasonably large hands and the barrels are too fat for my real liking. I much prefer the in the hand feel of either the Swarovski EL or the Steiner XP, or for that matter, the ZEN ED. But that is no real criticism.

Overall I really like the EDG. But there is one caveat. It is a short and fat binocular compared to the other open bridge binoculars. They sort of gave me the impression of a Swarovski EL frame that crashed into the wall, the impact decreasing the length and increasing the diameter of the barrels. I have reasonably large hands and the barrels are too fat for my real liking. I much prefer the in the hand feel of either the Swarovski EL or the Steiner XP, or for that matter, the ZEN ED. But that is no real criticism.
Thanks for that, Steve, I find it reassuring, having recently given up the wait for the EDG (or the "Neu" EL!), and bought EL 8.5x42. These I find quite thick enough for my girly hands, and now that you mention it, the EDG in photographs does look pretty plump.

A friend of mine had a pair of 8x42 EDG that he let me use for a couple of weeks over Christmas (and I used them a lot).

My overall impression was that I loved looking through them but after I while I tended to not want to take them birding with me because I found them so immensely annoying: it seemed like every time I tried to look at a bird, the focus wheel had slipped up (just a mm) which meant that when I tried to focus, the wheel just spun uselessly under my fingers. Every time before trying to focus, I had to remember to check that the wheel was in position.

oh, and the objective lens covers were also annoying. impossible to get off with gloves on, and they fall off surprisingly easy - I lost both covers on the first two birding trips. After that they stayed at home.

These are nice bins, but overall I would not consider them a serious contender to the alpha bins (well, not unless they were substantially cheaper).

yup, optically they were lovely.

but...

I wanted to revisit this topic that was posted earlier this year. I do not have any connection with any optics company.
I reported recently that the Nikon EDG that I had was replaced with the updated version, this one has the improved focuser with nice detent and has the nice smooth Nikon focus that is well known.
I also think that these compare with other Alphas I am familiar with, and agree with Dale that yes, "optically they are lovely". ;)

Tom,

The 7x42 EDG I tested had virtually identical off-axis performance to a 8x42 LX-L I compared it to. I don't think the eyepiece design has changed much, if at all. There is nearly zero rectilinear distortion, very low astigmatism and also low field curvature, altogether a larger "sweet spot" and sharper edge than one usually sees in a binocular with the same 56 degree AFOV. The lack of pincushion distortion will probably get a mixed reaction. Some people find the "rolling globe" effect obtrusive without some added pincushion.

Henry

Henry,

Your comments about the EDG's lack of pincuhsion, which you wrote about earlier in your review of the 7x42 EDG left me disappointed, because I find the "rolling ball effect" on the full sized LX/LX L's not only obtrusive but downright obfuscating, because why would any optics company not add pincushion to a bin that was built primarily for daytime use??? Makes no sense.

However, when I had the opportunity to try a 10x42 EDG, I found much to my surprise that it did, indeed, have pincushion - about the same amount as the 8x32 LX, which is to say that panning is fairly smooth. I was delighted.

Is it possible that the 7x42 and 10x42 use different optical designs???

Both the 10x42 LX and 10x42 LX L I owned had virtually no pincushion, neither did the 8x42 LX I tried. However, the midsized LX/LX Ls are quite different in this regard and so is the 10x42 EDG.

I'm puzzled about our very different impressions of the EDG series.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back