• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Yorkshire man visits Lancashire again and gets a lifer. (1 Viewer)

Geoff Pain

Rural Member
Had a trip to Marshside RSPB today,American Golden Plover present on the marsh yesterday so was keeping my fingers crossed.Started viewing the area where the bird had been present and noted Shellduck,Lapwing,Wigeon,Teal,Mallard,Pink-footed Goose,Grey Heron and some Golden Plover but no sign of the AMGP.A ring tail Hen Harrier and a Short-eared Owl were quartering over the marsh giving a good display when the call went up that the AMGP was over the other side of the road on the inner marsh.Everbody hot footed it to where the finder was located and we were soon viewing the bird,great a lifer for me but sadly wasn't able to get any photographs.On the way home we called in at Brockholes Quarry,which is near the M6,where a Snow Bunting was present.The bird was giving superb views and most unconcerned about the viewing admirers.This site is restricted at certain times and more information can be got from http://www.eastlancashirebirding.net/

Geoff

Attachments

• sb2.JPG
    sb2.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 170
  • sb3.JPG
    sb3.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 140
Well done Geoff on the AMGP,but the Snow Bunting pics were what I enjoyed most,smashing shots!
I saw three at Minsmere last week and your pics really demonstrate (winter) the breast banding,which in my opinion the popular Field Guides do not.

Yes, lovely photos...haven't had any Snow Buntings yet but I haven't been able to get out as much as normal over the past few weeks.......getting SERIOUS withdrawal symptoms!!! Day off on Tuesday though so plan to be up early and get along to St Mary's....hopefully there'll be some nice stuff there!

Congrats on your Lifer Geoff. I think I would be ecstatic coming across the Snow Bunting. That is a beautiful bird.

Last edited:
Well congrats on your AGP Geoff, to say I went a shade of green when I read your sighiting is very true!! I always try to get a trip to marshside in before
I head of to mere-sands-wood or martin-mere. and
guess what I dident go that weekend!!!! nice one anyway.
bert

Geoff,
I got the APG on the 19th October, the day after it was first found. Good grief, was it a cold day!..plus it took ages to find the bird amongst over 300 GP's which kept moving around in little groups while I was trying to find the American bird.
I am attaching one of my crappy pics of the bird for you to laugh at!
Steve.

Attachments

• American GP.JPG
    American GP.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 154
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back