• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Martin Mere 9-11-03 (1 Viewer)

Jazzbasser

Whooper Swans take first prize - never seen so many swans in my life, let alone all gathered together on one place! Impossible to count them all, but there were hundreds, if not thousands. The noise was incredible.
Still plenty of Pink Foot geese too, but not near the numbers that were there a few weeks ago.
Also a few Ruff around, and a couple of Snipe too. Smaller birds included Long Tailed Tits & Goldfinch.

I made my only ever trip to Martin Mere almost two years ago and the sight of all those Whooper Swans in such a confined area was amazing and the sound was too.
It was dark this morning when I walked past the lake in central Reykjavík, too dark even to see Whooper Swans! but I knew they were there from the loud trumpeting.

You said Jazzbasser that "there were still plenty of Pink-footed Geese around but not near the numbers there were a few weeks ago." Where do they go?

E

Hi Jazzbasser, :t:

From your description of the swans I assume you stayed long enough to the swan feeding at late afternoon. Thats when you really see the numbers and the noise builds up. The prelude is excellent as well as the birds fly in from all directions ready for the free food. I videod it last year but it got wiped unfortunately, so will have another go soon its quite worth keeping a few minutes.
Re the Geese I have read that they can move on south but they do tend to spread themsleves around the area turning up almost anywhere. Colin D and others have posted sightings around the area on the forum.
Like Aitch I'll be at the Mere at the weekend for the Bird Fair but dont know what day yet, depends on the weather.
I haven't been able to find out whats on this year though the information has been far less than in previous years. No names announced for the talks except for a small piece in this months Birdwatching Mag on page 14.
Although I've just seen on his web site that the Fat Birder has announced he will be there on Saturday signing copies of his book.

Bill,
Yeah, the swan feeding is spectacular. Worth the visit just to see that!
I'll be at the bird fair this weekend too, probably Sunday, although, as you say, there's not been too much mention of what's going on this year. That's not too much of a problem though, as I haven't got any money to spend...!

Jazzbasser said:
Bill,
Yeah, the swan feeding is spectacular. Worth the visit just to see that!
I'll be at the bird fair this weekend too, probably Sunday, although, as you say, there's not been too much mention of what's going on this year. That's not too much of a problem though, as I haven't got any money to spend...!

I can't make up mind because of the weather the BBC site says its going to rain both days but the Met Office is saying rain in the evenings and OK during the day.
Its to near Christmas for any major spends but I might manage a book and get a tub of seed. As my daughter will be with me it sometimes gives them an idea of what to get me for a present. The year before last I got a Birds of Britian CD. So drag the family along and enthuse about everything that takes your fancy you never know.

Oh well lunch over back to the grind.

Hi Jazzbasser.
as regards the pinkfeet and the drop in numbers
at martin-mere. they tend to head of to Norfolk,
as there seems to be a good feeding grounds of
sugarbeat to be had. this has been going on for about 3 years. ps should be a good fair.
bert.

Weatherwise, Sunday should be the better day - Sat will be gales (stormy on Friday, so they'll be having fun if they have a marquee to put up!). No more than showers either day, probably not many on Sunday.

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Weatherwise, Sunday should be the better day - Sat will be gales (stormy on Friday, so they'll be having fun if they have a marquee to put up!). No more than showers either day, probably not many on Sunday.

Michael

Better not be! I like these types of forecast ;) I'm not going, but I'll be in the vicinity over the weekend!

Anyone seen the mandarin duck reported this week? Did it jump over the fence ;)

Osprey

Thanks for the forecasts.
I think its been decided for me and its going to be Saturday although I will point out what I've been told here.
They've just published the iterinary on the WWT site
at http://www.wwt.org.uk/visit/martinmere/event.asp?EventID=651. Amongst others they have the wonderfully named Dee Doody as a guest speaker, always makes me smile that! I've seen a programme of his about Red Kites and that was interesting and I see he is talking about them on the Saturday so I'll try and catch that.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back