• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to save Gijs's transmission graphs on your pc for easy access (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
It is clear that the posters on BF have a wide diversity of computer skills so I hope the following will be useful for those who sometimes find computers a bit of a challenge but would like to have Gijs's transmission graphs saved on their own pc for easy access:

Go House of Outdoor website at http://www.houseofoutdoor.com/

Scroll down past the colour photos to the dark grey area at the bottom

Go to the left-hand column headed Verrekijkers which means binoculars

Go to the item 4th from the bottom = Verrekijkers testen en vergelijken (note the word ‘testen’ = tests) and click to open.

There is a list of tests and you only need to left click to open them. The titles are in Dutch but if you just look for the word ‘kijkers’ meaning bins and then the brands and models (which are the same as in English) you are interested in, it is not difficult to navigate your way.

Left click on, say, this one to open it: Test van nieuwe 8×42 kijkers van Leica Swarovski en Zeiss def MAART 2016. With only a little imagination you can see this means a test of new 8x42 bins from Leica, Swaro and Zeiss, in March 2016.

Now if you have the full all-singing, all-dancing Adobe Acrobat Reader you can select the transmission graphs and save them to a folder on your computer. Probably there is other software that can do this too but Acrobat Reader is the most well-known. But if you spend all your money on optics and holidays like me and only have the free version of Reader (which you can download from https://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/ ) then you will find that you can’t save the graphs, but I have found a way around this. My method assumes you have Microsoft Word on your pc, but this way might well work with other similar software.

Having opened the document from the website you now need to download it to your computer. If you have opened it using Firefox as your browser then you need to go to the icons in the right-hand side of the dark bar across the top of the document and click on the icon that is the second from the right. It looks like a page of paper with the top right-hand corner turned down and there is a downward pointing arrow in the middle. Click this and a window opens asking you what you want Firefox to do. By default it is already set up to download (‘save’) the file to your pc so just click OK. You will notice that the downward pointing arrow in the bar above (its to the left of the ‘house’ symbol) has turned blue. If you have a different browser just Google how to download from it and you will get advice on how to do it.

Before you do anything else, open a blank document in Microsoft Word as you will need to use this soon.

Left click on the downward pointing arrow and a window opens showing the title of Gijs’s document. Double left click and it opens the document. By the way, once you have done this the arrow turns back to black, but the document remains listed ‘under the arrow’ and you can return to it to open it again if you wish.

Scroll down to the graph you wish to have easy access to and place the cursor (which is like cross-hairs in a rifle scope) in the graph and left click. This selects the graph and it turns a blue colour. Right click on the blue area and a window opens allowing you to left click on the instruction to copy. Open your blank Word document and right click on it. A window opens and you should select the paste option that is like a clip-board with sheet of paper and hey presto, the graph is now sitting on the Word document.

Nearly at the end now .

Right click on the graph and a window opens giving you various options. Under the clipboard symbol is an option to edit the picture (ie your graph) and under this the option to ‘save as a picture’. Select this and save it to the folder of your choice, re-naming it so you know what it is.

Now you can go straight to Gijs’s transmission graphs without opening a website or wading through a document in Dutch, and if you save other graphs you can more quickly compare them.

When you click on the titles of the graphs in your folder, because it is regarded as a picture, it will be your picture viewer that opens it and these normally have an option to rotate the picture so that it is in ‘landscape’ view and you don’t have to tilt your head to one side to look at it.

I hope this proves useful to some of our community.

Best wishes to all

Lee

No need to go from one extreme (fantastic) to the other (I take it back).

Are you sure you can't make it to Bird Fair this year??

Lee

Lee, post 5,
OK I will change "fantastic" into : good job Lee, it saves me a lot of work.
Unfortunately I am pretty sure that I can not make it to Birdfair.
By the way; the Meopro test reports are on line (House of Outdoor) so they may be informative for everybody.
Gijs

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back